Blockbuster vs. Netflix?

Hyperborea

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know that some of you here have/had Netflix.  Anybody here tried the Blockbuster version?  Anybody tried both?  The Blockbuster version is 3 movies at a time plus two instore rentals (movies or video games) / month for $14.99 / month. Netflix is $17.99 and no instore rentals.

How good are the turnaround times?  How easy to get your selections?

I tried Netflix first.
Positive - turnaround and shipping

I am now a member of Blockbuster
Positives:
Less expensive
Two in store rentals per month included in the price
Larger selection
Negatives - slower turnaround than Netflix but they are adding more distribution centers.

As far as selection - if you like to watch anything other than the big Hollywood films, my experience is that Netflix has a better selection. I can get just about any foreign film I can think of, any PBS/BBC series or documentary. The turnaround times for Netflix are 10x better than Blockbuster.

I agree with dex. Netflix turns them around quicker unless you turn your rentals around a lot. Then netflix will start 'throttling' you. Suddenly the post office will take 4 days to deliver your dvd that was mailed 20 miles away. Some guy set up multiple accounts and used different rental patterns and 'proved' this theory, which most heavy netflix users have experienced. No info on whether blockbuster throttles.

The in-store blockbuster unlimited rentals deal wasnt so good. If you went into the store on a night or weekend they were completely out of everything new and even most of the secondary stuff. The "we have it or its free" doesnt mean much when you're on an unlimited plan.

By the way, if you have a PC and it can be connected to your tv and stereo...get a copy of the free "dvd decrypter" and a copy of windvd or powerdvd (or whatever have you). From what I hear (not that I'd do anything like this, or suggest anyone else do so), dvd decrypter will copy the whole dvd to a directory on your pc, from where windvd can play it...with visual enhancements and improved picture quality in some cases. In this theoretical scenario, you can mail the dvd right back to netflix/blockbuster after the 20-30 minute "decrypting" process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom