Boozing in Britain? I am shocked!!

What is there to "review"? If it's a legal product, they are of legal drinking age and they aren't doing anything illegal under its influence, it seems to me that the only recourse would be for the people to vote them out if they don't approve of it.

Lol, with our penchant for arresting and incarcerating everyone, could you tell, it's not America? In this country, I could see this lawmaker being berated, arrested, charged, censored on the floor, forced to apologize and made to spend time in prison. No wonder we have the 20% of the world's prisoners but 5% of the population, even more than China.

What is there to "review"? If it's a legal product, they are of legal drinking age and they aren't doing anything illegal under its influence, it seems to me that the only recourse would be for the people to vote them out if they don't approve of it.

The UK budget last week included the latest attempt to curb binge drinking in the UK by setting a minimum price/unit below which stores cannot sell alcohol - ie, they now cannot sell alcohol at subsidized prices.

Given the continued push by lawmakers to cut down on drinking, it just doesn't right to many that in the government workplace, (Houses of Parliament), there are literally dozens of bars selling alcohol at subsidized prices. Those subsidies of course will come from the taxpayer.

I think the voters would either like a better example from the lawmakers, or for them to stop messing with the drinking habits of everyone except themselves.

Actually noting new with the UK campaign. I recall reading that Llyod George thought alcohol was a greater threat to the UK than the Germans in WWI, so he introduced the bizarre hours for pubs in the UK. It is just like the push in the US at the same time for the prohibition amendment (all be it in the US it was also to get at the german immigrants and the evil folks from the big cities who were going to ruin the country)

Given the continued push by lawmakers to cut down on drinking, it just doesn't right to many that in the government workplace, (Houses of Parliament), there are literally dozens of bars selling alcohol at subsidized prices. Those subsidies of course will come from the taxpayer.

I think the voters would either like a better example from the lawmakers, or for them to stop messing with the drinking habits of everyone except themselves.
Exactly. In either case, IMO, I think it's on the voters -- whether to insist that the lawmakers temper their indulgences or level the playing field. Yet I suspect UK politics are enough like American politics that there's a shared feeling of "our legislature sucks and they all need to be voted out -- except for mine"...

Ahhh... the two tier system of entitled politicos and the "rest of us" who pay for their subsidies. It wasn't long ago that they closed (at least temporarily) the liquor store at the Canadian houses of parliament in Ottawa. You know, where members of parliament and their staff could buy Tax Free alcohol for their "offices"

Back
Top Bottom