Bored at work

Sillysal

Dryer sheet aficionado
How did all the retirees cope with the excrutiating Friday afternoons before ER? I have two and a half more hours of face time to kill.

Sal

Sillysal said:
How did all the retirees cope with the excrutiating Friday afternoons before ER? I have two and a half more hours of face time to kill.

Sal

The same way you are coping...by wasting your company's money posting on this board. :D

REW

As long as you have relatively unlimited access to the Internet, you shouldn't get too bored. I just let the links lead me to where they will and soon enough, I educating myself in some obscure but interesting subject. I always felt my employer was financing my education.

Actually - my employer is financing my education - sending me to night classes in accounting. Problem is, I thought I was done with college when I graduated! I think these days people may just be in school forever.

Sillysal said:
Actually - my employer is financing my education - sending me to night classes in accounting. Problem is, I thought I was done with college when I graduated! I think these days people may just be in school forever.

I'm very busy right now killing the last 2 hrs of my Friday afternoon as well. I think our employers keep us in school so we don't have time to think about other options (like ER). It is a conspiracy.

Boredom........who has time to be bored?

I feel my employer should fund at least a little of my "education."  They are not shy to ask me for more hours and more responsibility for no additional pay so what the heck, they can just deal with a little browsing in between meetings and fire fighting. 

Looking at the discussions here sure makes one want to get out and FIRE away.  I could do it now but the extra $$ I make now will be that much less I have to suck our of my investments later.  My wife is still 2 years short of getting her pension so I might as well work too.  It pays for the toys and the adds to my nest egg.

wabmester said:
But then Thursday just becomes your new Friday.

But Martha gets 3 days to recoup before going back to the mines. :D

Martha said:
I don't work on Fridays. Waste of time.

You mean you screw around all day at work, or you simply don't go in to the office on Fridays? Very important distinction... I'm the former!

Thanks to my boss' intent to slowly eliminate my position, I got to spend a lot of time on the internet, this forum and planning my ER.

What a great guy. :D
I'll have to thank him someday. ;)

justin said:
You mean you screw around all day at work, or you simply don't go in to the office on Fridays? Very important distinction... I'm the former!

Martha's too smart to waste her Fridays screwing around all day at work.
But back at home, well ...... :smitten: ;)

Justin, I have enough political power at work that I don't have to stay at work if I want to goof around. So I don't go in on Fridays. Greg and I spent the day working on a new flagstone path. He was fussing around with something while I was trying to talk to him about the project. I asked if he heard what I said (as wives are wont to do). He said no, "I was thinking about you". Huh? What a recovery.

There was a study published a few days ago that the average US worker goofs off two hours per day. So feel free to waste those last two hours on a Friday afternoon! Of course, why corporations can't be more flexible and just let you do your work and then go home is beyond me. But of course if corporations weren't so inflexible, rule bound and overall annoying, I'd probably still be working. And I like ER better!

Martha said:
Justin, I have enough political power at work that I don't have to stay at work if I want to goof around.  So I don't go in on Fridays. Greg and I spent the day working on a new flagstone path.  He was fussing around with something while I was trying to talk to him about the project.  I asked if he heard what I said (as wives are wont to do).  He said no, "I was thinking about you".  Huh?  What a recovery.

Damn, that is excellent. I will use that (often) with your permission
of course :)

JG

Martha said:
Justin, I have enough political power at work that I don't have to stay at work if I want to goof around.  So I don't go in on Fridays. Greg and I spent the day working on a new flagstone path.  He was fussing around with something while I was trying to talk to him about the project.  I asked if he heard what I said (as wives are wont to do).  He said no, "I was thinking about you".  Huh?  What a recovery.

He shoots, he scores!

MRGALT2U said:
Damn, that is excellent. I will use that (often) with your permission
of course :)

JG

Of course you have my permission. I call this 'intelligence in action.' It's much better than talking about it.

--Greg

Monday Mornings and Friday Afternoons in corporate America are a partial, if not complete waste. As are the afternoons or mornings before/after a vacation or a holiday. In MegaCorp we got all of Christmas Week off. After one of these, looking at my fellow employees and/or me was like looking at refugees or deer in the headlights. It was a big pronouncement about how people really loved corporate life. :D

Back
Top Bottom