Breaking the Thrift Habit??

Scrooge McDuck had most of the money in the town, had a vault that was full.
Was said that he was worth 9 cubic acres of money. What a way to compute networth!
Time is money...his fave quote.

SteveL said:
. . .Saving is easy,,,,,spending is tough!
I guess I'll write a minority opinion. Send me the cash and I will spend it and find value. I am happy with my lifestyle choices, but I would be happy to live at a higher spending level if the money fell in my lap. I'm just not willing to be a wage slave to get more money.

To me the statements from the original post sound a little bit like the non-ERs who ask, "What will you do all day?" Now you're just asking the question, "What will you do with extra money all day?" My answer is, "More". :D

I enjoy many activities that don't cost me much. I travel by car to remote areas, camp out, hike, and participate in archaeology projects. I wouldn't be against a more comfortable car. I would appreciate better camping gear (it gets better every year). There is some excavation equipment, survey tools and software that I wouldn't mind having.

I also like to travel. I wouldn't mind visiting Egypt, Greece, Italy, Peru, or Easter Island again. I've never even been to Turkey or China or Australia. I'll probably make some of these trips over the next several years, but if a pile of money fell in my lap, I would make more trips each year.

My lawnmower is getting old and less reliable. I am having to spend a lot more time keeping it running smothly than a new mower would take. I get a certain amount of satisfaction keeping this old beast running and saving the cost of a new mower, but I could find other ways to get satisfaction from my time.

:D :D :D

((^+^)) SG said:
To me the statements from the original post sound a little bit like the non-ERs who ask, "What will you do all day?"  Now you're just asking the question, "What will you do with extra money all day?"  My answer is, "More".

It's not the spending in inself that is difficult, it's knowing how to spend that is difficult for many people. Everyone spends, but many people don't do it well. That is the problem.

For example, if you were to buy an item like a television costing $2000, would you just go to the store, buy it on your charge card and pay the minimum amount each month?

The vast majority of the population spends foolishly that way because they don't know how to spend. Chances are most people on this forum would save up for that purchase and buy it with cash or on credit and pay it off before any interest accrues because they know how to spend.

My thrift is a habit borne out of fear of poverty. I also have a goal of always being financially independent. Don't want to ask anyone for money, and now, don't want to work in an unfulfilling job to earn more. Been there, done that. As long as Bogle is correct, my independence should last. Have no idea how to break the habit, but I suspect DW will enlighten me.

Can't break the habit. Its been beaten into me by parents, in-laws, grandparents, nuns, etc. Still could write that book:

Chapter 2 "Turn off that light!"

My parents were frugal but didn't get nutty about it. My Dad was
dirt poor as a kid. Mom was comfortabel middle class. I quickly
soared way beyond where they and my other relatives were
lifestyle-wise. Spent it all, but you've heard that story.

We don't deny ourselves much, always assuming we could be dead
soon. However, I do keep in mind that we may be wrong and live
a long time. Soooooooooo, you have to have a plan for that just in
case. Last night we dined with another couple at a very pricey Italian
restaurant. When the bill came I never had a twinge. Our companions picked up the tab :)

JG

I have lived LWBYM (way below) all my life. Now that I have ER'd am currently unemployed, I am using a budget for my expenses. For example, I have given myself $250 a month for food and dining out but because of my lifelong habit, I have been spending less than 70% of it. It's going to be a slow process to change my habit. Today, I bought a fruit (papaya) which I would not have bought because of my cheapness frugalness.

One baby ER step at a time. :)

MJ,

Papaya? I'm thinking booze in the blender.... Anyway we are off to the Chineese buffet for crab legs. At $12.50/person (minus the 10% coupon  :D) they have to be losing money on us. These buffets are everywhere. I often wonder how much snow crab is pulled from the oceans to overfeed the all-you-can-eater's  :confused:

Gotta go... The early bird catches the crabs. That didn't come out right.

MJ said:
I bought a fruit (papaya) which I would not have bought because of my cheapness frugalness.
As the man said to Dirty Harry, "I just gots to know."

Where was it sold and how much did they charge for that papaya?

Funny post, BUM!

Yeah, they just opened a new Chinese buffet here that has real quality food! $9.95/dinner with all you can eat good sushi, crab legs, oysters.

Bummer that a desire to keep the calories down prevents me from taking full advantage of this.

Speaking of buffets, I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Home Town Buffets.

Nords said:
As the man said to Dirty Harry, "I just gots to know."

Where was it sold and how much did they charge for that papaya?

It was Mexican papaya and I bought it at my local fruit market at $1.29 lb. Althought it was a small piece, it weighed close to 2 lbs. I finished it off that day. It was delish.

Nords said:
Thanks, we like them too and eat them just about daily.

I don't think I would buy it every day. I'll start with once a week.
How much does it cost your way? I would think that they're fairly inexpensive.

We're now discussing regional differences in the price of, and eating frequencies for papayas.

This may be a sign that we spend too much time on the Internet.

MJ said:
I don't think I would buy it every day. I'll start with once a week.
How much does it cost your way? I would think that they're fairly inexpensive.
Uhm, yeah, we grow our own. But I think they're about 60 cents a pound at the store, less at the farmer's market.

Guess I'd better look into a fruit-shipping license!

Attachments

• Back lanai papayas.JPG
    Back lanai papayas.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 75
To quote Laurence:

Dude! That's the view from your backyard?! You suck!

Nords said:
Uhm, yeah, we grow our own. But I think they're about 60 cents a pound at the store, less at the farmer's market.

Guess I'd better look into a fruit-shipping license!

Freshly picked sweet papaya from your own garden, yummy.

CHP: Uhhh, I'm guessing they're those roundish green things to the far left.?.?

no blender in sight

BUM said:
CHP:  Uhhh, I'm  guessing they're those roundish green things to the far left.?.?
Yup.  And far, far off on the horizon is Pearl Harbor's channel, where I can wave bye-bye to departing submarines. 

Depending on your climate (or your tolerance for indoor heat & light) you might be able to grow your own.

Life is good.

No thanks. I'm not growing anything but crabgrass and plastic yews. A neighbor recently sold his very successful fake christmas tree business and part of the deal was a no-compete clause. So now he's making fake outdoor shrubs ranging from ground cover to 3-4' trees. They look fine and UV from the sun has little effect. Even the birds can't tell the difference.

Now this could be a good idea for the ER traveller who may be away for months at a time...another market?

Bonsai! ;)

BUM

love the pic nords

Back
Top Bottom