Brew day

REWhahoo, CFB, I was taught not to argue with Women and Older People, so NO COMMENT. :D :D :D :duh:

See? One line, bad punctuation, bad capitalization, and no relevance. According to that last emoticon, wig firmly in place.

My last home brew was a Cooper's Stout from Woolies and I used a dark wheat malt.

Got it going, gurgler working fine. Went to work, came home and could smell it from outside the house. There was was a ball of foam (head) on top the gurgler the size of Marge Simpson's hair do. And there was a puddle of beer makings the size of Lake Titicaca on my kitchen lino.

In the desert heat of Australia it was not uncommon for the bottles to launch themselves to roof height.

Glad to see other brewers on board! I brew mostly "extract" brews. It's easier than "all grain" that Brewer is doing. Less time and equipment. Right now on deck is a red ale, next up is a Irish stout, after that a amber honey ale, then a American steam style ale. Believe it or not I've slowed down on my brewing, most of the mentioned beers are promised to folks. I'm finding wine making to be more fulfilling, working on a cab with juice from CA, WA ,Chile, and France, a Ca Santa Ynez syrah, an Aussy Shiraz, a cherry/vanilla and a blueberry that I will blend with the Shiraz at some yet to be determined ratio. In the cellar there are blueberry port, strawberry/ rhubarb, white zin (for the wife), symphony (a white), raspberry mead, orange spiced mead, jalapeno wine, and some more I can't remember right now.....Shredder

Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine. I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store. I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store. Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.

brewer12345 said:
Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine. I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store. I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store. Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.

I agree with you on the prices. Plus it is hard to get really good micros here where I live. And it does not take much to make great beer at home.
What kind of wines have you made? My very best is a blueberry port I've never seen  in the store. Cost me maybe $1.50 per bottle. The "kit" whites are pretty good, an expensive kit $90 or $ 3 per bottle could be equal to a $ 15 or more bottle of store bought wine. Some of the "grape pack" reds are supposed to be good, so I'm trying some of them. Thing is though they are a year or more aging before being able to taste their best. As I get older I don't drink that much beer, unless around friends. Or on a hot day, not many of those in N. MI. But I do enjoy a nice wine with dinner, and maybe a port after, couple of times per week. Must be a age thing. ..........Shredder

BTW A few of the beers i'm making a for a fly fishing get together in a month or so. I'll consume my share at the campsite.

brewer12345 said:
Maybe it is just the cheap bastard in me, but making beer is a muc better deal than making wine.  I can make excellent beer for a tenth of what it costs in the store.  I can make OK wine for half of what it costs in the store.  Maybe I am just better at beer than wine.

Make me either and you'll never hear any complaints from me!

Our friends in San Francisco do the home brew thing, usually have three or four types sitting in the fridge, always tasty. The weird thing is, their black/oatmeal/Guinness stout always ends up being nearly alcohol free. Very strange!

Laurence said:
The weird thing is, their black/oatmeal/Guinness stout always ends up being nearly alcohol free.  Very strange!
Not that there's anything wrong with that, you get to drink more!

Three words.

Russian. Imperial. Stout.

Just hit yourself in the head with the bottle and get it over with.

:LOL:

Huh, funny you say that, my friend got me a bottle of beer called Rasputin(?), black tar in appearance, close to 40 proof, I believe. Almost undrinkable. Almost. :LOL:

I think they're about 9-10%, although at a small brewer/microbar near boston about 6-7 years ago I had some of theirs that was supposed to be in the 12% range. I think my teeth were slightly smaller after drinking it due to corrosion.

Ah, I thought that would be going too far. One big bottle and I was good. Didn't want dinner, either!

Toronto Star has Article on American Micro Brewers in which it lauds them for being creative and innovative, Brews that are now being copied in Europe whereas Canadian MicroBrewers are still copying European recipes.

I might drink 3 beers in a year.

Back
Top Bottom