Brits?

This is where we disagree ... I don't think that most folks in other countries are as shocked or become as defensive/agressive as Americans if foreigners make the same sort of jokes or criticisms about their politicians, way of life, etc as their own citizens make ...... perhaps it's a sign of running an empire .... and I don't know whether it would surprise you, Ha, but most ordinary folks outside of the USA would probably consider that the US is running its empire the way Britain ran hers and would probably also consider that the US doesn't take a lot of **** from their vassal states either ......... but please don't shoot the messenger  :LOL: .......

Yep

I wish those dam Yankee's would quit picking on MY (pre Katrina)Congressman, William Jefferson - just cause he is trying to earn a few extra bucks - what else is Congress for anyway:confused:
And then - after several trys - they threw my old buddy old pal Edwin (ex Gov) into the Federal pen.

I don't mind giving them Hell (Harry Truman's home town is just down the road) - starting with City Hall and going up.

I just don't like durn foreigners agreeing with me.

AND - now that I AM ER'd - the world needs to straighten up and run smooth.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - and that's only the first cup of coffee.

Ken, we don't have an empire. We are not occupying other people's lands like the British Empire, Rome and the Soviet Union except for theaters of war. The US projects its' influence and meddles a lot, but we only own a few plots of land around the world llike Guam and Puerto Rico (which we ought to set free IMHO). There is a big difference.

The US has not been in the empire business since Teddy Roosevelt. We have already left the Phillippines and Panama and even there our presence was on reservations; the governments were in the hands of their own people.

Anywhere people have a feeling of ownership of their country, they will take offense at outsiders' critical comments, and they have every right to do so.

Ed, but the modern empire doesn't necessarily need physical occupation of countries .... instant communications, battle groups and aircraft carriers cruising perpetually offshore and the potential for fast response airlifts are more than enough to ensure at least a similar degree of influence that, for example, the Brits had to control their empire a hundred years or so ago. The Brits ruled India etc not by having massive Brit occupation forces but by ensuring that they had in place ruling maharajas etc that owed their existence to the Brits. One similar modern example might be the House of Saud and it's easy enough to find others.

This idea of empire might be a good analogy .... I wouldn't be at all surprised if 100 years or so ago the Brits weren't considered to be arrogant, jingoistic adventurers by other countries ...  it goes with the territory so to speak .... but what I find "disappointing" is that most Americans don't seem to realise or accept that their govt's foreign policy PR or spin campaigns over the last few years have been almost solely directed towards keeping Americans backing the administration's policies rather than, perhaps, trying to appear more reasonable and balanced to other countries .... and I wouldn't criticize that approach - it's perfectly legitimate ... but PR and spin campaigns create powerful images and aggressive defence against a few adverse jokes/comments doesn't help ......

....... but I didn't intend to get into all this stuff ...... the OP noted that, compared to other English language boards, there appeared to be few Brits and Irish here and wondered why ..... I've given my own view .... this board covers a wide range of issues and I know I wouldn't be able to constrain myself to commenting only on ER topics therefore as it looks as though I'm possibly heading into trouble fairly soon I think I'd better fade away back into the shadows again .......

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
I am getting real tired of having some Canadian feel that he/she must come up to me and tell me how much they hate Americans.  Does anyone do that to Canadians?  To Brits?  To Germans? 

Unfortunately, yes. Sometimes based on personal experience from a boorish tourist, but it is most always based on the media hype and political crap Joe Q Public hears and there is little independent thinking. Simply something to shrug off as ignorance. Americans probably hear it more due to the economic dominance the USA still has... and that can be more powerful than military occupation. No different than big guy bashing in the business world.

Back
Top Bottom