Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Brits?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Except the Queen is not a politician. She represents the Crown and is politically neutral.... more like a goodwill ambassador.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Except the Queen is not a politician. She represents the Crown and is politically neutral.... more like a goodwill ambassador.
Tangential anecdote time. I once saw the Queen and Prince Philip visit a school. Prince Philip arrived in a Royal Navy helicopter, one of those bulgy types with the elevated cockpit like Harold from Thomas the Tank Engine. The helicopter set down on the green, and a couple of attendants hopped out, opened the passenger bay door, flipped out some red-carpeted stairs, and stood at attention to either side. And stood. After a bit, they peered puzzledly into the door, at which point Prince Philip came hopping out of the cockpit down a ladder to the ground. (Prince Philip is a trained helicopter pilot.) The attendants did a comedic double-take, while the students laughed and applauded.

I thought it good-natured showmanship, that didn't take itself too seriously. Rather endeared the man to me. Quite opposite to the reaction I later had seeing guys like Bush and Dukakis prance around in military hardware. Those guys have no sense of delivery. Bush especially should have been able to do a better job, since he actually was a military pilot once. But he lacks the humility needed to pull off a stunt like that with grace.

(PS -- I won't be offended should any Brits happen to agree with me.)

Old 06-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Yeah!
I'm reasonably sure that in most circles you could make as many jokes as you like about, for example, Prince Charles ....... but the Queen has earned considerable respect as a person so jokes about her would not generally be appreciated even if it was a Brit telling the joke.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Americans may joke about and/or criticize and/or insult their own politicians or President or way of life - but appear to become ultra sensitive if aliens make similar sorts of comments
I think that most folks in other countries would have the same sort of defensive response. The problem we Yanks have is that everyone thinks they should have an opinion on the US and they are quite shocked if we respond with criticism of their countries. It is especially fun if we know something of their history and politics.

I am getting real tired of having some Canadian feel that he/she must come up to me and tell me how much they hate Americans. Does anyone do that to Canadians? To Brits? To Germans? I used to be concerned about how my government's actions might offend others. Now, I know it doesn't make any difference and I don't give a damn.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

All these free-riders form Europe would really have fun if we ran our empire the way Britain for example, ran hers. Or maybe we could take lessons from the Russians. They didn't take a lot of **** from the Eastern Europeans either.

Ha
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #26

This is where we disagree ... I don't think that most folks in other countries are as shocked or become as defensive/agressive as Americans if foreigners make the same sort of jokes or criticisms about their politicians, way of life, etc as their own citizens make ...... perhaps it's a sign of running an empire .... and I don't know whether it would surprise you, Ha, but most ordinary folks outside of the USA would probably consider that the US is running its empire the way Britain ran hers and would probably also consider that the US doesn't take a lot of **** from their vassal states either ......... but please don't shoot the messenger* .......
Old 06-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yep

I wish those dam Yankee's would quit picking on MY (pre Katrina)Congressman, William Jefferson - just cause he is trying to earn a few extra bucks - what else is Congress for anyway
And then - after several trys - they threw my old buddy old pal Edwin (ex Gov) into the Federal pen.

I don't mind giving them Hell (Harry Truman's home town is just down the road) - starting with City Hall and going up.

I just don't like durn foreigners agreeing with me.

AND - now that I AM ER'd - the world needs to straighten up and run smooth.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - and that's only the first cup of coffee.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Ken, we don't have an empire. We are not occupying other people's lands like the British Empire, Rome and the Soviet Union except for theaters of war. The US projects its' influence and meddles a lot, but we only own a few plots of land around the world llike Guam and Puerto Rico (which we ought to set free IMHO). There is a big difference.

The US has not been in the empire business since Teddy Roosevelt. We have already left the Phillippines and Panama and even there our presence was on reservations; the governments were in the hands of their own people.

Anywhere people have a feeling of ownership of their country, they will take offense at outsiders' critical comments, and they have every right to do so.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:22 AM   #29

Ed, but the modern empire doesn't necessarily need physical occupation of countries .... instant communications, battle groups and aircraft carriers cruising perpetually offshore and the potential for fast response airlifts are more than enough to ensure at least a similar degree of influence that, for example, the Brits had to control their empire a hundred years or so ago. The Brits ruled India etc not by having massive Brit occupation forces but by ensuring that they had in place ruling maharajas etc that owed their existence to the Brits. One similar modern example might be the House of Saud and it's easy enough to find others.

This idea of empire might be a good analogy .... I wouldn't be at all surprised if 100 years or so ago the Brits weren't considered to be arrogant, jingoistic adventurers by other countries ...* it goes with the territory so to speak .... but what I find "disappointing" is that most Americans don't seem to realise or accept that their govt's foreign policy PR or spin campaigns over the last few years have been almost solely directed towards keeping Americans backing the administration's policies rather than, perhaps, trying to appear more reasonable and balanced to other countries .... and I wouldn't criticize that approach - it's perfectly legitimate ... but PR and spin campaigns create powerful images and aggressive defence against a few adverse jokes/comments doesn't help ......

....... but I didn't intend to get into all this stuff ...... the OP noted that, compared to other English language boards, there appeared to be few Brits and Irish here and wondered why ..... I've given my own view .... this board covers a wide range of issues and I know I wouldn't be able to constrain myself to commenting only on ER topics therefore as it looks as though I'm possibly heading into trouble fairly soon I think I'd better fade away back into the shadows again .......
Old 06-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I am getting real tired of having some Canadian feel that he/she must come up to me and tell me how much they hate Americans.* Does anyone do that to Canadians?* To Brits?* To Germans?*
Unfortunately, yes. Sometimes based on personal experience from a boorish tourist, but it is most always based on the media hype and political crap Joe Q Public hears and there is little independent thinking. Simply something to shrug off as ignorance. Americans probably hear it more due to the economic dominance the USA still has... and that can be more powerful than military occupation. No different than big guy bashing in the business world.