Bulletproof LED flashlight has flimsy, crummy battery holder

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got one of those sleek LED mini flashlights -- machined aluminum body, looks like it would last a lifetime. Well, it sat in a desk drawer for a couple months, and when I retrieved it, it didn't work. I opened it up and found that one of the batteries had leaked and the spilled chemical had eaten up the cheap little 3-cell battery carrier that was inside. The carrier literally crumbled at my touch.

I thought about tossing out this sleek piece of hardware - It was only about an $8 investment -- but that seemed like such a waste.

I went to Amazon and found a replacement carrier here. In fact, you can buy them in lots of two, three or more. I bought a lot of three, figuring it was only a matter of time before I'd need another one. Or two.

Every once in awhile you run across something that's pretty well made overall but relies on a piece of junk in a critical place. Build a better three-cell battery holder and the world will beat a path to your door!

Attachments

• HF Flashlight.jpg
    HF Flashlight.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 18
A couple of thoughts:

1. An $8 flashlight probably isn't "bulletproof".

2. Even a much better battery holder probably isn't going to survive corrosive batteries. I don't know how it could.

Here's the flashlights I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SLGYZG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or, anything that looks like it, is priced about the same, and uses the CREE XM-L T6 LED bulbs and the rechargeable 18650 batteries. They're all the same, just with different stickers. Ignore the lumens rating etc. - again, they're all the same. But they are very durable, super bright, last a reasonably long time on a battery, and are rechargeable. In a pinch, you can also substitute 3 AAA's in a holder like you have. But the 18650's are everywhere, in fact I've got a whole box of them which I salvaged from laptop battery packs that were being thrown out.

Fun fact: The Tesla automobile is powered by about 4,000 of these 18650 batteries.

Flashlight app on my phone works as well as any small hand held, easier to find too. Any time I've needed a regular flashlight lately either can't find it, or the battery has gone or something.

My phone is always charged, and close by.

Those look like the flashlights that Harbor Freight gives away for free.
I have not gotten the ones from Harbor Freight, but bought a similar at a $1 store. The LEDs quickly burned out one by one, and now it has about 2 left out of maybe 9. Not worth even $1. Perhaps the HF ones are better.

Wow, list price $70, on sale for $6.50. Such a deal!

The funny thing is, you WILL see these flashlights offered for that much, and even more, and claiming lumens up to 1200. I see them a lot in the clickbait ads on lots of news sites/forums/etc. I think they're all made in the same factory, with the same bulb, battery, and cosmetically different cases. But some sell for $5 on Amazon or Ebay, and others for $99 as "The Miracle flashlight we just equipped our entire special forces SWAT team with!!!!"

I have not gotten the ones from Harbor Freight, but bought a similar at a $1 store. The LEDs quickly burned out one by one, and now it has about 2 left out of maybe 9. Not worth even $1. Perhaps the HF ones are better.

The HF LED's also burn out one by one. But how can you be upset if they are free? Oh, the batteries are included! I keep one in all my cars, nightstands etc. and when they go bad...... I get some more. :cool:

Flashlight app on my phone works as well as any small hand held, easier to find too. Any time I've needed a regular flashlight lately either can't find it, or the battery has gone or something.

Exactly. Now that I can turn on the (bright!) LED on my iPhone with a single flick and tap (in Control Center) I use that 95%+ of the time I need a flashlight. And it's always with me.

Before the phone made flashlights virtually obsolete, I bought a cheap six pack of LED flashlights and scattered them around the house. They're still there if I need them - one in the draw at bedside, another in the kitchen, another in the car, etc.

They are so cheap I don't care about quality, though they have lasted 4-5 years now.

An $8 flashlight probably isn't "bulletproof".
+1. I wouldn't expect much for $8, no matter what it looked like.

You get what you pay for (more often than not)...

The other day, I broke down and decided that I deserved a real flashlight. So, I drove to Walmart to pick up this bad boy for $20. It runs off 3 C cells. The beam width is adjustable. Bright at 700 lumens. No regret since.

63cde4ac-19a8-461b-8bd0-f61dcf832cad_1.21c7f4534f97330f8eabef77375ee886.jpeg

Yeah, but you don't know how long a power outage will last, and you really don't want to drain a phone battery in that case.

You also can't (easily) put a phone in your teeth so you can see how the meat on your grill is doing while you cut into it this time of year, when it's dark out by dinnertime.

The flashlight app is real nice, but I still like a handy flashlight. My splurge is the headlamp, for running at night, and also not having to put a flashlight in my mouth for grilling.

only Wonder Woman could get use out of a 'bullet proof' flashlight. just sayin:cool:

I'll confess I'm a bit of a flashlight geek. I have tons of them (usually the smaller ones) and mini-lanterns and I'll still buy new ones if I see them. My neighbors loved me after Hurricane Sandy.

I'll confess I'm a bit of a flashlight geek. I have tons of them (usually the smaller ones) and mini-lanterns and I'll still buy new ones if I see them. My neighbors loved me after Hurricane Sandy.

Me too, from growing up on an island with no electricity (nights were really pitch dark).
I have about 5 headlamp lights, 3 flashlights in the bedroom :eek: , 1 or 2 in each vehicle, and a bunch more, including a UV flashlight for finding radioactive glass in antique stores.

Back
Top Bottom