Light Fixture with Integrated LED

So I bypassed the ballast (actually, removed it) and wired line (mains) voltage to the tombstones as instructed for the 4' LED tubes I bought.

As part of my review gig, I also did this with countless tubes in my workshop and basement. They are now all 5 to 8 years old and running strong. I love them. It is a fairly easy conversion to do.

I held onto my spare fluorescent tubes for a few years and then one day just took them to the hazardous* waste facility. Good riddance.

(* Man, I was not a bad kid in general, but I do remember one time, probably around the '72 Olympics, playing "javelin thrower" in the parking lot of some company. That day I was a bad kid. We must have thrown 30 bulbs. Besides the glass mess, we released a bunch of mercury that day.)

We have two outside lights on our garage with integrated lights, have had them for over 5 years, still going strong.

Interesting development in my integrated LED fixture saga. I bought a new replacement fixture that uses regular LED lightbulbs. I haven’t installed it yet. Yesterday, after 3 weeks the integrated LED fixture started working again. What is that about?

Yesterday, at dusk the light started flashing on and off I turned it off. Awhile later I turned it back on to see what would happen. It worked fine.

Now I wonder if I should just return the replacement fixture in hopes that the integrated LED fixture will work a few more years or go ahead with the replacement. Any thoughts on what may have caused this behavior?

Interesting development in my integrated LED fixture saga. I bought a new replacement fixture that uses regular LED lightbulbs. I haven’t installed it yet. Yesterday, after 3 weeks the integrated LED fixture started working again. What is that about?

Yesterday, at dusk the light started flashing on and off I turned it off. Awhile later I turned it back on to see what would happen. It worked fine.

Now I wonder if I should just return the replacement fixture in hopes that the integrated LED fixture will work a few more years or go ahead with the replacement. Any thoughts on what may have caused this behavior?

dirty or partially blocked sensor?

Back
Top Bottom