Bumpity-bumpity

Howdy, Mrs. Bumpity-Bumpity. Soon?

--Mr. DH to you

Sunrise in North Dakota, outside Fargo, a few minutes ago. Running 6 hours late. A foreign student from South Korea on the train is highly amused that we can't run trains on time in this country.

img_354377_0_cb56287b0e503a0f87a29f022ec7d63f.jpg

The daytime Powell's customers are folks who are free during the day... The evening customers tend to be professionals and students.

The path to Powells I described brought you through Portland's "Pearl District", once a rough warehousing area now under re-development with condos.  It is a part of Portland's plan to make the city center vital.  Streetcars, light rail, bike lanes and pedistrian plazas.  The city needed to replace the combined storm/sewer lines so this has been the perfect time for major re-development from an engineering and financial standpoint.  The going price/sq foot for those condos is stunning!

Every time the Amtrac budget is up I fear that they will pull your route.  In most areas of the world passenger trains are a vital part of the transportation network.  Not in the US :'(  I wish they were important enough to run on time.  Have you ever taken the route from Calgery to Vancouver?  It was suspended for a time.  The ride through the Rockies is stunning!

Great picture Martha and btw I love your Iris pic, it's my fav flower/

Back
Top Bottom