Great River Road Trip

cathy63

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anybody done the Great River Road along the Mississippi from beginning to end? We're just starting to think about a southbound trip this fall and I was wondering if any of this well traveled group have undertaken the journey and what was your experience like? I just requested a map and tourist info from https://experiencemississippiriver.com/ so I'll see what comes from that.

We'd do open jaw flights and a one-way car rental; at least two weeks, probably closer to three. Would spend multiple nights in Minneapolis, St Louis, Memphis, New Orleans. Otherwise, just stopping in smaller towns and visiting any unusual roadside attractions we come across.

I'm a little concerned about what's supposed to be a bad hurricane season this year, but DH has always been a MN Vikings fan, so I'd like to time the trip to coincide with one of their home games for him, so fall it is. We will just have to stay flexible and be willing to reverse course if a major storm is coming.

Has anybody done the Great River Road along the Mississippi from beginning to end? We're just starting to think about a southbound trip this fall and I was wondering if any of this well traveled group have undertaken the journey and what was your experience like? I just requested a map and tourist info from https://experiencemississippiriver.com/ so I'll see what comes from that.

We'd do open jaw flights and a one-way car rental; at least two weeks, probably closer to three. Would spend multiple nights in Minneapolis, St Louis, Memphis, New Orleans. Otherwise, just stopping in smaller towns and visiting any unusual roadside attractions we come across.

I'm a little concerned about what's supposed to be a bad hurricane season this year, but DH has always been a MN Vikings fan, so I'd like to time the trip to coincide with one of their home games for him, so fall it is. We will just have to stay flexible and be willing to reverse course if a major storm is coming.

I grew up in a Mississippi River town in Illinois close to St Louis. I traveled north and south on the Great River Road and always found it interesting. Some quirky little towns with great food and beautiful parks overlooking the river from bluffs above. I was limited to a couple hundred miles north and south from the St Louis area.

Good luck on your trip,

VW

I have not done that trip but have spent time in a couple of your prospective stops.

In St Louis:
* Ride to the top of the Arch. Nice view, very interesting technology to get up there.
* Liked the Westward Expansion Museum in the Arch basement.
* Walked to the Old Courthouse to see their Dred Scott exhibit - very well done.
* The Inside the Economy Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is small, but very well done. Highly recommended.
* Eat lunch at Crown Candy Kitchen. An old time soda fountain-type place. Home of the "Heart Stopping BLT".
https://crowncandykitchen.net/

New Orleans: The National WW II Museum is a must-do. Plan to spend most of a day.

I grew up in Iowa and the Mississippi from say Minneapolis to Dubuque is very scenic and one of my favorite areas to visit when in the area.

Myself, I wouldn't be interested in the entire length due to the poverty and lack of scenery I would expect to see along the southern part of the route, but I have limited data to support this perception since I have never done the trip. However, if I was to due the entire route, I would recommend reading "Rising Tide" by John Barry which covers the 1927 Mississippi River Flood, and treat the trip as a historic review during the southern section.

Enclosed a link to a Smithsonain Institute site that gives a brief account.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/great-mississippi-river-flood-1927

I have not done that trip but have spent time in a couple of your prospective stops.

In St Louis:
* Ride to the top of the Arch. Nice view, very interesting technology to get up there.
* Liked the Westward Expansion Museum in the Arch basement.
* Walked to the Old Courthouse to see their Dred Scott exhibit - very well done.
* The Inside the Economy Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis is small, but very well done. Highly recommended.
* Eat lunch at Crown Candy Kitchen. An old time soda fountain-type place. Home of the "Heart Stopping BLT".
https://crowncandykitchen.net/

New Orleans: The National WW II Museum is a must-do. Plan to spend most of a day.

Thanks for the suggestions! We love New Orleans but have never been to the WWII museum, so that does sound interesting.

I'm glad to have ideas for St Louis also as I've never been there. The Gateway Arch was on my list, but not the others.

I grew up in Iowa and the Mississippi from say Minneapolis to Dubuque is very scenic and one of my favorite areas to visit when in the area.

Myself, I wouldn't be interested in the entire length due to the poverty and lack of scenery I would expect to see along the southern part of the route, but I have limited data to support this perception since I have never done the trip. However, if I was to due the entire route, I would recommend reading "Rising Tide" by John Barry which covers the 1927 Mississippi River Flood, and treat the trip as a historic review during the southern section.

Enclosed a link to a Smithsonain Institute site that gives a brief account.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/great-mississippi-river-flood-1927

Thank you! I just found "Rising Tide" as an e-book at my library, so will definitely check that out. DH especially likes to coordinate his reading material with his location when we're traveling, so I know he'll be interested as well.

For the southern part of the journey, we're interested in Memphis, Vicksburg (civil war sites), part of the Natchez Trace, and New Orleans. I think there's enough to keep us busy in that area, even if the roads right along the river aren't particularly scenic. We always have the option to stop following the twisty river roads and get on the interstate if we get bored.

There aren't a lot of bigger cities north of St. Louis along the river, but we really like Muscatine and Bellevue, Iowa and camp at both places every summer along the river. Both small cities have nice public walking areas along the river. I love to barge-watch.

I haven't done it yet but have the map & info, and hope to do Minneapolis to St. Louis in the fall of 2025. In addition to seeing friends in Minneapolis, visiting several of the museums & natural wonders listed on the map, and enjoying the fall colors, I'm really excited about incorporating a side trip to the newly opened Rabbit hOle children's literature themed museum in North Kansas City.

Last edited:
A dear friend and his wife took a nice trip.... He found a Sea Dory cheap that needed work. Spent the winter fixing it up, Then they jumped over to the Ohio river, got dropped off by their son, then spent the whole summer wandering their way down to New Orleans and the Son brought the trailer down and picked them up.

He and his brother owned the business and took turns taking time off..

We took the "Great River Tour" in our RV. We used "Fantasy RV Tours."

I would do it again without hesitation. We started at Lake Itasca, where you can cross over the Mississippi River in a single (small) step and ended in an airplane ride out into the Gulf of Mexico to the end of the Delta.

There were 33 Camping Nights and 66 Events & Meals. Most of the "Events" (mini-tours, actually) would be quite difficult to arrange on your own. So, it is probably worth it to rent an RV if you don't have one.

https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/RV-T.../TPC/34UMR/TPD/083024/TCID/34UMRT-083024/rl/0

We took the "Great River Tour" in our RV. We used "Fantasy RV Tours."

I would do it again without hesitation. We started at Lake Itasca, where you can cross over the Mississippi River in a single (small) step and ended in an airplane ride out into the Gulf of Mexico to the end of the Delta.

There were 33 Camping Nights and 66 Events & Meals. Most of the "Events" (mini-tours, actually) would be quite difficult to arrange on your own. So, it is probably worth it to rent an RV if you don't have one.

https://www.fantasyrvtours.com/RV-T.../TPC/34UMR/TPD/083024/TCID/34UMRT-083024/rl/0

Wow, that sounds amazing! We weren't planning to do an RV trip, but it's definitely something to consider.

Have fun and be aware of your surroundings in St Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans. While these are fun cities to visit, it pays to be cautious, particularly at night. We have attended concerts in downtown St Louis as well as spending evenings on LaClede's landing, its a good idea to travel with a group and stick to the main streets. Same with Memphis, Beale street is s fun evening, use the same cautions. The French Quarter has its problems too to go along with its fine food and history.

Have fun and be aware of your surroundings in St Louis, Memphis, and New Orleans. While these are fun cities to visit, it pays to be cautious, particularly at night.

Quite true. Fortunately, we were always with a large group and security was never in our thoughts.

And, FWIW, we had front row seats (well, table) at a live performance of "Mama Mia" at a dinner playhouse.

That was our planned trip for the autumn of 2020, and as anyone could guess, we didn't get to do it. We'll work it back into the schedule soon (we're already booked for Japan this Fall). So I look forward to your trip report when you are done.

We haven't traveled the length of the River Road, but we do camp regularly at COE parks adjacent to some of the lock and dams in Illinois and Wisconsin. So, we know that 150 mile (or so) stretch very well. Savannah, Illinois is a fun little town with a lot to offer. And if you don't mind heading off course eastward a bit, Galena, Illinois can be a lot of fun for a day.

DW is a tow boat aficionado and I've spent many an hour At Lock and Dam 13 with her watching them, river boats and other miscellaneous boats move through the locks.

Have you considered a river boat tour? https://www.mississippiriverinfo.com. has lots of info. Not for everyone, certainly a different perspective, and way easier than driving. I've motorcycled much of the river from St Louis to Minneapolis. Spectacular!

Have you considered a river boat tour? https://www.mississippiriverinfo.com. has lots of info. Not for everyone, certainly a different perspective, and way easier than driving. I've motorcycled much of the river from St Louis to Minneapolis. Spectacular!

Yes, we considered it. We're doing a Viking River Cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest next month, and believe me, those guys excel at making sure I know about every other river and ocean they have a boat on, including the Mississippi!

Aside from having already planned a river cruise this year, we want to do this one as a road trip because we like driving trips and we do want to stop longer in some places. I definitely have a day cruise on my list as something to do en route, just have to decide where's the best place to do it from.

Back
Top Bottom