Join Early Retirement Today

Burnt to a crisp
Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Burnt to a crisp

Wow guys, I don't see how some of you held on working the long hours for so many years. Mega corp life blows big time!

I have been working around 70+ hours a week and I feel like I am at work all the friggin' time. Funny thing is, I feel less and less productive after the 9 hour a day mark. I even work on Saturdays now woo hoo!

I wake up every day and it's the same thing over and over again. I feel like I am living the "Office Space" movie.

Am I going to get burned out or what? I certainly don't get paid enough for the amount of time I am there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Extra crispy, here. In part, you toughen up and get used to it after a while. But it never really stops sucking. By friday most weeks, I am pretty useless since I am just plain beat. If I am not FIREd by 40, I will be dowshifting to some other occupation that is less taxing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's a crazy schedule. I liked to whine about my 50 hour weeks (on average, 45 most weeks then ramps up to 60 on a periodic basis) but I'll just shut up. I'm surprised your company(ies?) haven't wised up to the risk of losing highly skilled employees. In the last 2 years my company has made some changes to help retention, including the 9/80 schedule.

But I'm guessing you guys pull down serious jack, too. At my work 100k is about the best you can hope for after about 5 years working there without breaking into lead/supervisor/manager positions, or working crazy overtime (they pay overtime to all engineers, but it's just straight time, not 1.5). I'm only going to be a little north of 80k this year, and hoping my promotion goes through by the end and puts me a little north of 90k.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pretty much worked 60 hours a week at my last job. When I started as one of the lead architects on the company's e-commerce website, it inched to about 70-80 for a year and a half. For the last 3-4 months, most weeks were 100-110 hours.

About the time I was ordered to go to the ER to see if I was just stressed out or having a heart attack, I figured it was time for a new job. I took a 25% pay cut initially, but went down to working a fairly strict 40.

I now work 40 at that job and 15-30 on a side job... the hours are pretty decent when you can spread them around and not have them come with any stress.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Am I going to get burned out or what?
Yeah, you will. I have worked overtime and it gets old...but at least I got extra money...I dont care for the extra money anymore...your time gets to be too valuable as your investments grow...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Any of you know if its the weekend yet? I know its not sunday, the paper isnt thick enough...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #7

Most days start wit DW kicking me to the background music of two alarm clocks and my first words are "what day is it?" once that is established I go from there.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Wow guys, I don't see how some of you held on working the long hours for so many years. Mega corp life blows big time!

I have been working around 70+ hours a week and I feel like I am at work all the friggin' time. Funny thing is, I feel less and less productive after the 9 hour a day mark. I even work on Saturdays now woo hoo!

I wake up every day and it's the same thing over and over again. I feel like I am living the "Office Space" movie.

Am I going to get burned out or what? I certainly don't get paid enough for the amount of time I am there.

Yes... you will wise up some day... but 70plus is insane... (but, I did 100+ for a few weeks... was a tax accountant... left after that year...)
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In my last job, the first 3 years I was there, we were required to work every Saturday until 1:00pm. Now that sucked. Could never go out of town for the weekend unless you took a vacation day. When my boss hired me, he told me he planned to retire in 2 years. That was the only reason I hung on. Two years extended to 8 years. After the 3rd year, I just told him I'm not working every Saturday but I would come in an hour early every day during the week. Did that for about 2 weeks and he never noticed when I stopped.

I guess it paid to play ball as long as I did. Enabled me to keep a good paying job and retire at a fairly young age.(If 52 is young)

"I wake up every day and it's the same thing over and over again."

Now the above statement is the clincher for a boring career. Hard to find a job that doesn't have some of this though. I hope you have better luck in the future.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any of you know if its the weekend yet? I know its not sunday, the paper isnt thick enough...
I was going to check for you, but looks like I still have the June calendar page up. Sorry.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are cruel!

The problem with jobs like these is not only are they a grind down, they suck so much life force out of you that updating the resume is too much effort, much less interviewing well. In situations like these, I find have a "goal date" for change helps a lot. Even a minor change for the better. But I found that vacations don't really help with situations like this, sometimes it only makes it worse. $$ is good but health is much better! How long do you plan on working at this company? With compounding, you don't gain a lot more for retirement towards the back end of the career, could you switch to something less lucrative in 2-5 years and let the portfolio compound on it's own?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #12

laurence --

Good to hear from you again. Hope you are doing well. BTW, if I lived in San Diego, I might have to do the 4 hour work week:
Amazon.com: The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich: Books: Timothy Ferriss

For all of you ERs rubbing it in, you suck!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
And we know this by the bruise that is left from the rolled up newspaper....?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
The problem with jobs like these is not only are they a grind down, they suck so much life force out of you that updating the resume is too much effort, much less interviewing well.
Very well said!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
(they pay overtime to all engineers, but it's just straight time, not 1.5)

If you live in the US, I think this violates federal law. If you're non-exempt, you have to be paid at least time and a half for hours beyond 40 in a week. I'd be curious to know how your employer gets around that rule; I'm sure they're aware of it...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
And we know this by the bruise that is left from the rolled up newspaper....?
Its cool, I figured it out. Thin paper, everyones car is in the driveway, lots of kids at the park, stores are jammed...must be saturday.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
If you live in the US, I think this violates federal law. If you're non-exempt, you have to be paid at least time and a half for hours beyond 40 in a week. I'd be curious to know how your employer gets around that rule; I'm sure they're aware of it...

2Cor521
He's probably salaried exempt with a 'perk' being that additional hours worked can be cashed out at his nominal salary.

One consulting company I worked at was very similar. You were salaried, but every billable hour over 40 could be banked and then used as vacation time or cashed out.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I can relate to the hing number of hours. I have decided that I am no longer going to put in high numbers of hours. From now on my target is 40 hrs/wk. I might have to put in a few extra from time to time... but I have no intention of working huge numbers of hours anymore.

4 years left.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Forget if is Sat or Sun; the worst are these national holidays are a pain to remember.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Fat paper today with lots of ads. Must be sunday.