Buy American GAS?

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
YOU CAN BUY AMERICAN GASOLINE. READ ON.

You can purchase gas from companies that don't import
their oil from the Middle East. Nothing is more frustrating
than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm
sending my money to autocratic regimes who openly support the
destruction of the United States. Before the hyper-educated jump in and start pooh-poohing my “Buy American bias” , I want to make the point that I do understand that we require a lot of foreign oil, and that we have to turn to OPEC (at least until the ANWR is opened for drilling, we divert food crops into ethanol like Brazil, and we get the oil shale strip-mining and processing operations fired back up…) for a large percentage of our energy requirements. But we can consciously favor companies that do not import oil from the Middle East when we pull up to the pump. (unless of course it’s a penny a gallon cheaper, because most American consumers are truly clueless about what imports are doing to our GDP and balance of trade.)

The following oil companies all import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell..............................205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco.....................144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil.......................130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway..................117,740,000 barrels
Amoco.............................. 62,231,000 barrels

…and keep in mind that CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela,
home of Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly
avows our economic destruction! (and we pay Chavez's regime
nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!- this is what burying our economic head in the sand -“ I don’t worry about where the products I buy come from”… I just love that quote….is getting us. )

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil
per day from OPEC. If you do the math at $100 per barrel,
over $550 million PER DAY ($200 BILLION per year!)
handed over to OPEC, several of whose members are
enemies of the USA.

The following companies currently do not import
Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco.....................................0 barrels
Conoco.....................................0 barrels
Sinclair...................................0 barrels
BP / Phillips..............................0 barrels
Hess.......................................0 barrels
ARC0.......................................0 barrels
Maverick...................................0 barrels
Flying J. .................................0 barrels
Valero.....................................0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA * .........................0 barrels

*Sold at Wal-Mart, gas is from South Arkansas and fully USA
owned and operated. Not only that but they give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school and are legal US citizens…Oh, wait, that discriminates against “undocumented immigrants” Sorry, I was being politically incorrect there for a minute.

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department
of Energy; each company is required to state the country(s) of origin
of their oil and how much they are importing from each country.

Thanks for the list! I'm now going to ensure that I favor the companies that import the most from foreign countries. I'd rather keep the stuff in the ground here for when we really need it... burn their resources first then pull the army back to protect our resources; I'll just hope Sulla isn't leading the army when they come home.

Thanks for the info. I'll continue to purchase gas in the manner that maximizes my utility and I would fully expect everyone else to continue to do so as well.

Oil is a world market, you buying merkin gas will only shift a small amount of oil from one contract to another.

No way to know what is in gas station's tanks. Gasoline is pumped through pipelines, supposedly they use a "slug" to separate quantities destined for different markets. Yeah right. Only tankers lining up at the pipeline's end have different markings.

Things would be simpler if the various localities would eliminate "boutique" blends. I don't think there really is a need for15++ varieties of gasolines. My guess 3 or 4 would do it for smog control.

Crack ain't an American product, it's just cracked up here. And yes, there is a hell of a "crack spread" in the process.

Same thing with gasoline. BBW is just too dumb to figure it out.

Unless we produce more ourselves, every incremental barrel of oil we consume is another barrel imported on the margin. So in the case of a global commodity, "buy American" is pretty silly. I can see a couple of other considerations, though:

* Buying gasoline from the businesses that produce the most American jobs

* Not buying oil from Citgo because Chavez is a kook

These are fair reasons, but they have nothing to do with whether the oil was mostly imported or domestically produced.

But we can consciously favor companies that do not import oil from the Middle East when we pull up to the pump. (unless of course it’s a penny a gallon cheaper, because most American consumers are truly clueless about what imports are doing to our GDP and balance of trade.)
this is what burying our economic head in the sand -“ I don’t worry about where the products I buy come from”… I just love that quote….is getting us. )

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil
per day from OPEC. If you do the math at $100 per barrel,
over $550 million PER DAY ($200 BILLION per year!)
handed over to OPEC, several of whose members are
enemies of the USA.

Buying our gas from certain suppliers will not have any effect unless all world buyers of oil do the same thing. The reason? Gas is a fungible commodity. If we buy less gas from Country A and more from Canada, Russia will just decide to buy more from Country A and less from Canada if the price of Country A Oil drops. (By Russia, I mean companies that operate in these countries.) If we decide to buy all our gas from Canada, then Canada will import extra gas from somewhere else, maybe Saudi Arabia. So, all your proposal will do is disrupt the established supply chains, force a reorganization of the current distribution network, resulting in higher prices for everyone in the world. Is this your goal?

The only way to enact a change is through actual changes in consumption.

The following companies currently do not import
Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco.....................................0 barrels
Conoco.....................................0 barrels
Sinclair...................................0 barrels
BP / Phillips..............................0 barrels
Hess.......................................0 barrels
ARC0.......................................0 barrels
Maverick...................................0 barrels
Flying J. .................................0 barrels
Valero.....................................0 barrels
Murphy Oil USA * .........................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department
of Energy; each company is required to state the country(s) of origin
of their oil and how much they are importing from each country.

Crude Oil Imports From Persian Gulf 2007

Your list may be a bit stale. Sunoco, Sinclair, and Flying J are the only refiners on the 2007 list that reported no imports from the Persian Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom