Buy Experiences, Not Things

I think that the ranchers claimed all that land, even before Texas joined the Union. These greedy cowboys wanted lots of land to ride their horses and chase the bulls and cows.

PS. In contrast, only 10% of Arizona is private land. And I already claim my lot in the hilly high country, surrounded by a national forest. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
Those poor girls appear to have suffered a dryer mishap with their clothes. I hate it when the fabric care label is unclear about that.

Buying gas for the motor home is like buying a bus, train, or plane ticket, so that wouldn't count as a 'thing', IMHO.

But this got me thinking about Facebook travel posts. Did they really enjoy their travel, or did they go there just so they could brag about it on FB? :LOL:

Hey now...you talking to me?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Eh, yours is the one that most interests me, that I want to read for vicarious travel experiences if I had an FB account.

Surely, your adventures in Mongolia and Siberia are a lot more exciting and exotic than anything I have done or will do.

Eh, yours is the one that most interests me, that I want to read for vicarious travel experiences if I had an FB account.

Surely, your adventures in Mongolia and Siberia are a lot more exciting and exotic than anything I have done or will do.

Awww, shucks, thanks! But it just means that I can sleep in a tent pretty well if I put my mind to it...or a small, shared bus bench seat when pressed! But I do appreciate my nice king sized bed when I get back home and hot shower as much as the next person!

We already appreciate our home shower after 2 months living in the motorhome, which is luxurious compared to your amenities. ;)

And my wife already said that if my next Alaska trip is 3 months like the recent RV trek through Nova Scotia, she's out.

NW, I admit that the trip DH just took, 8 1/2 weeks on the road from London to Mongolia and back was one I happily skipped. They did a lot of roadside sleeping, 4 dudes in a very small Skoda Felicia. At least he was wedged in there with some discomfort-loving millennials, instead of crotchety folks his own age!

I loved British Columbia earlier this summer and the campgrounds were fabulous. Take that Alaska trip, and have her fly up to meet you for a respite at some B&Bs or nice little hotels in the middle! :)

... Take that Alaska trip, and have her fly up to meet you for a respite at some B&Bs or nice little hotels in the middle! :)

Truth be told, the driving of the motorhome wore me out too, and the last trek, while of the same distance, was over much nicer roads than what I will encounter in Alaska.

So, I am mulling my next move. I hate to give up the idea of an Alaska road trip as one sees much different things and places than from a cruise ship. Maybe I need to splurge and get another smaller motorhome, a class B, which is more drivable.

Na, NW, just go at a slower pace and you can recover more easily. Keep the big mover, and just plan on at least 2 or maybe even 3 days between driving days.

My two British buddies just drove a small campervan from California to SC and took 3 months to do it! I think our American tendency is to see how much ground we can cover, and how fast, and it really changes your perspective a lot to purposefully go a lot slower.

I say this after covering 6,000+ miles in our bus in just 5 weeks earlier this summer, so clearly I've got some work to do in this department. But, I just returned from spending 10 days on the road with the girls, driving from Miami to Charleston, which is a trip I can normally make in around 10 hours.

Sengsational, I try, surely I do. Though my mantra at Disney was "this is better than work, this is better than work, this is better than work" which was most effective! :)

It is going to be a 10,000-mile trip, which averages out to 100+ miles per day over 3 months. So, taking a rest of 2 days between driving days still means 300+ miles in one day. I must be getting old, as I don't think I like to do that anymore, except in a smaller vehicle.

But we'll see. We will definitely continue to do shorter trips (<2000 miles) with this motorhome, while I am mulling over the Alaskan one.

Though my mantra at Disney was "this is better than work, this is better than work, this is better than work" which was most effective! :)
Hard to go wrong with a threshold like that. :)

From Kazakhstan to Disneyland, you do get around. From the sublime ...

Back
Top Bottom