Buying an IPad..........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Which top accessories would you consider a "must-have" to make the IPad experience better?

Thanks...........

P.S. I am getting the IPad with 64GB HD and Retina if that helps.

I've had iPad's since they came out. I would say a cover is all you need.

I bought a couple of stands but don't use them. I did get the Apple cover that folds and serves as a stand and use it constantly.

I don't even have a cover. The iPad accessories I use most are a stylus for drawing and a padded case for transportation.

Last edited:
In general, I agree with the rest, but ...

If you plan to use it as your only internet device for more than a day or two (such as a vacation), you might want to consider a wireless keyboard if you do any amount of typing. I use the Apple version, and I like it very much. Perfectly compatible with an iPad.

Which top accessories would you consider a "must-have" to make the IPad experience better?

Thanks...........

P.S. I am getting the IPad with 64GB HD and Retina if that helps.
No accessories needed!

Well, I like my case/sleeve with folding cover. You probably want at least a screen cover.

I like the non-slip texture of the sleeve/cover - makes it easy to carry tucked under my arm, or place on a sloping surface (like the RV dash) and not worry about it slipping.

I really enjoy watching videos on my Retina display iPad.

Last edited:
I plan on taking mine on extended vacations instead of a laptop so am looking at the following accessories:

1) case with bluetooth keyboard

2) lightning cable to HDMI cable so we can watch Netflix, and the like, on TV's at the places we stay (That worked great with our laptop this year)

3) lightning cable adapter to read the images from our digital camera as I like to save and label photos as we go rather than have many weeks of photos to work through when we get back, plus it also acts as a backup to the photos.

I have already installed a free app for reading and updating spreadsheets as I don't know that I can go 5 months without wanting to update them :nonono: (Google drive works great for sharing docs with the iPad and home computers, and photostream for transferring photos to home computer)

How about one of those protective screen films?

I bought a nice leather case for protection, and could not be happier. As others hae said, no need for more....

I could see getting a keyboard if you wanted to use it to create rather than view content. I don't mind a short email or short forum post on it, but if it were my main computer for a long period I would definitely be interest in a keyboard.

Like many others, I bought a nice InCase case (also serves as a 3 position stand, a useful feature) and that's it. Haven't been tempted by any other accessories, though I can understand a keyboard for some user situations.

You don't want or need protective film, I doubt it's even available for an iPad. You don't need it these days now that most if not all mobile devices are using 'gorilla glass' - remarkable stuff. And film might diminish the multi-touch interface, you don't want that IMO.

Last edited:
And film might diminish the multi-touch interface.

Actually, that's probably not an issue. I certainly agree that film is a waste of money, but an Otterbox, which many of us have on our iPhones, has a thin transparent plastic shield over the phone screen, and I didn't notice the slightest difference in its touch sensitivity.

The Apple folding cover is great, and the Apple wireless keyboard is great, and that's all anyone would ever need IMHO.

I prefer having a keyboard where I can feel the keys. Found myself back to the hunt and peck days when using the on screen keyboard. However if you don't plan on doing a lot of email or other docs you probably wouldn't need it.

My only other accessory is a Directv router that I bought so that I can use the Ipad as a tv around the house and also to control my Directv box (remote, dvr, etc.)

How about one of those protective screen films?

Ipad screens are made of glass and incredibly hard to scratch. I wouldn't bother with a protective screen (plus they detract from the experience).

Ipad screens are made of glass and incredibly hard to scratch. I wouldn't bother with a protective screen (plus they detract from the experience).

I'm not expert on ipads so was just throwing this out in the form of a question. These films however are quite commonly used on iphones and other smart phones and do not detract at all from the experience.

Sorry I did not mean to sound snarky in my reply above. In my experience, the protective screens are made from plastic and scratch easily and collect dirt which isn't an issue with glass.

Has anyone bought a stylus? A niece in the UK has one and loves it, but she is the only one I know that uses one.

Back
Top Bottom