Cable: more than basic?

Tivo was an interesting discovery for me because it both unlocked me from the stations schedule and made the "500 channels and nothing on" situation disappear. With a box full of shows you want to watch, when you want to watch them, I found I didnt need Directv Platinum to make sure I had a movie on at 8:00 that I hadnt seen before and wanted to watch. If you can stomach editing that removes all of the content you actually want to see, theres enough older movies on broadcast tv for a tivo to siphon up.

On the premium channels, I found HBO to offer the most variety but a disappointing turn rate on movies and shows. They *are* paid by the month, not by the specific content, so it makes sense that they'll introduce new movies and new series episodes as slowly as possible. For movies, I found Starz had the best variety and more/better movies than Showtime.

I could probably get by fine with basic cable (or an antenna if I could pick up all the locals with good quality), a tivo, and a periodic round of netflix or blockbusters unlimited plan.

For the premium series like Sopranos, six feet under and so forth...its a whole lot cheaper to rent them for a few bucks than to subscribe to a channel that only gives you a few episodes a month, a few months a year, with huge gaps between shows.

However I've found that its impossible to avoid the spoilers that seem to start the second the show is over. I got to read the ending of the Soprano's, the analysis of the ending, and the analysis of the analyses before I actually saw the episode.

Netflix has had its ups and downs (for a while, they were "throttling"---not logging in films as soon as they received them and not sending a new one right away so they could save money on mailing) but they've been great for the past few months (after a class action lawsuit). On a 3 a month plan, I can see about 12 films a month.

We have expanded cable so we get to watch old films on TCM and AMC. We only pay for basic cable. The serviceperson doing the installation explained to use that they really don't have a way to just limit the channels for basic cable, so they use the same box for expanded cable as for basic. Those who sign up for expanded pay the extra money forexpanded, those who sign up for basic get expanded at the basic price. What a deal!

Yeah we get AMC free even though it is also in a premium package. TCM and TBS are part of our basic package. We have delayed purchase of a DVR because our satellite TV provider offers a cottage drop for free and we would switch and then use that second system for a condo in PV when we buy one. Meanwhile cable will have to do (along with 2 VCRs that have automatic commericial advance).

We do only DVDs, no television. Its been 15 years since I've had regular access to TV. You get a lot more done when it isn't even an option.

It must be a bit humdrum to just sit and look at a dvd without a tv. Do you have a player or just stare at the disk until one of you comes up with an idea for another activity? :duh:

I don't understand the purpose of all these financial calculations. Seems like a simple "yes, dear" is the obvious answer. :)

Netflix also allows movie streaming now. The selection isn't all that impressive, but I have caught some series that I've been meaning to watch.

Edit: Oops, Jeb-NY already mentioned that.

It must be a bit humdrum to just sit and look at a dvd without a tv. Do you have a player or just stare at the disk until one of you comes up with an idea for another activity? :duh:

LOL! No, we have a 19" tube television set with a built in DVD player*. Its just that there's no antennae, nor cable, nor satellite. So its pretty much just a monitor.

* Which I got for free on Amex points. After my local video store closed, I bit the bullet and replaced the 13" set I had with the built-in VCR. :cool:

like the song says, there's "57 channels, and NOTHIN' ON! " ... so finally cut back to basic a few months ago (only a couple dozen channels, but still nothing on!). but three interesting results:
1) haven't turned it on since, except to notice
2) that i'm still getting the full boat, but now at the basic rate;
3) but due to #1, haven't wasted a moment in front of the boob tube.

i'd drop it entirely, but it's only costing $10/mo and there might be something of interest one of these days

The only reason I have cable is "The Daily Show". Is there some way to watch/capture it live without cable?

Best thing we ever did was get a DVR. It revolutionised our lives, no need to be tied to the TV or to watch ads. All our viewing time is now quality viewing, no more Wheel of Fortune because there is nothing else on.

We tried Netflix but after having the same movie for 3 months we figured it was not a real good investment. However, we do occasionally watch a Movie on Demand through the DVR.

Martha and Khan: fellow Daily Show watchers I see! Although I do prefer The Colbert report. Last week was reruns, but tomorrow is a week of new episodes!

Back
Top Bottom