Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a $50/mo version of cable. No HBO but does have ESPN, Golf Channel, History, A&E, and AMC. AMC does the job for me as far as movies are concerned.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I see the entire fifth season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is available from Amazon.com for $27.99 (free shipping). Assuming later seasons will also be available and (this is a bigger stretch) assuming that money is the main issue: Consider that when I switched from expanded cable (which did not include HBO) to basic cable, the savings was $30.00 a month. Voila, you can buy a new video every month for the difference or better yet a bouquet of flowers.

Every time SO grumbles about what's not on TV, I say we can't watch that game (the Rockies may tumble...[not]) because we have an extra $30.00/month.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I remember this from back when we had full cable: Flipping all the way through fifty channels (or however many we had) and saying "I can't believe that there are fifty channels, or however many we have, and there isn't anything that I want to watch!"

We have basic $10/month cable, and currently have a backlog of 20 movies we've recorded but haven't watched. Granted, 18 of them won't be any good, but combined with the library videos, we rarely catch up.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I see the entire fifth season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is available from Amazon.com for $27.99 (free shipping). Assuming later seasons will also be available and (this is a bigger stretch) assuming that money is the main issue: Consider that when I switched from expanded cable (which did not include HBO) to basic cable, the savings was $30.00 a month. Voila, you can buy a new video every month for the difference or better yet a bouquet of flowers.

Every time SO grumbles about what's not on TV, I say we can't watch that game (the Rockies may tumble...[not]) because we have an extra $30.00/month.
Can also Netflix for 2 at a time for less than $15 a month I've watched Curb, Big Love, Rome, 6 feet Under, Dexter etc. this way
Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm also a Netflix fan (no cable). 3 at a time around $17/month and you can stream another 17 hours free from their web site. Last I checked there was about 5000 titles in their stream library, I think they are over 70,000 titles in their mail to you library. We have no problem turning a dozen+ titles a month around. When we are in a movie watching mode 4-5 a week is possible (we are close to a distribution center, mail back on Monday have new ones on Wednesday).

You can also setup multiple Queues. There suppose to be for multiple people but we have a movie Que (2 disks) and a TV Que (1 disk). 2 movies and 1 old TV show series at a time works for us most of the time. We also buy the Netflix movies that they are retiring after the initial demand drops off. $5.99-9.99 for those movies we know we will watch over and over through the years.

Jeb
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Tivo was an interesting discovery for me because it both unlocked me from the stations schedule and made the "500 channels and nothing on" situation disappear. With a box full of shows you want to watch, when you want to watch them, I found I didnt need Directv Platinum to make sure I had a movie on at 8:00 that I hadnt seen before and wanted to watch. If you can stomach editing that removes all of the content you actually want to see, theres enough older movies on broadcast tv for a tivo to siphon up.

On the premium channels, I found HBO to offer the most variety but a disappointing turn rate on movies and shows. They *are* paid by the month, not by the specific content, so it makes sense that they'll introduce new movies and new series episodes as slowly as possible. For movies, I found Starz had the best variety and more/better movies than Showtime.

I could probably get by fine with basic cable (or an antenna if I could pick up all the locals with good quality), a tivo, and a periodic round of netflix or blockbusters unlimited plan.

For the premium series like Sopranos, six feet under and so forth...its a whole lot cheaper to rent them for a few bucks than to subscribe to a channel that only gives you a few episodes a month, a few months a year, with huge gaps between shows.

However I've found that its impossible to avoid the spoilers that seem to start the second the show is over. I got to read the ending of the Soprano's, the analysis of the ending, and the analysis of the analyses before I actually saw the episode.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix has had its ups and downs (for a while, they were "throttling"---not logging in films as soon as they received them and not sending a new one right away so they could save money on mailing) but they've been great for the past few months (after a class action lawsuit). On a 3 a month plan, I can see about 12 films a month.

We have expanded cable so we get to watch old films on TCM and AMC. We only pay for basic cable. The serviceperson doing the installation explained to use that they really don't have a way to just limit the channels for basic cable, so they use the same box for expanded cable as for basic. Those who sign up for expanded pay the extra money forexpanded, those who sign up for basic get expanded at the basic price. What a deal!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yeah we get AMC free even though it is also in a premium package. TCM and TBS are part of our basic package. We have delayed purchase of a DVR because our satellite TV provider offers a cottage drop for free and we would switch and then use that second system for a condo in PV when we buy one. Meanwhile cable will have to do (along with 2 VCRs that have automatic commericial advance).
Old 10-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #29

We do only DVDs, no television. Its been 15 years since I've had regular access to TV. You get a lot more done when it isn't even an option.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

It must be a bit humdrum to just sit and look at a dvd without a tv. Do you have a player or just stare at the disk until one of you comes up with an idea for another activity?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #31

I don't understand the purpose of all these financial calculations. Seems like a simple "yes, dear" is the obvious answer.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #32

Netflix also allows movie streaming now. The selection isn't all that impressive, but I have caught some series that I've been meaning to watch.

Edit: Oops, Jeb-NY already mentioned that.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
It must be a bit humdrum to just sit and look at a dvd without a tv. Do you have a player or just stare at the disk until one of you comes up with an idea for another activity?
LOL! No, we have a 19" tube television set with a built in DVD player*. Its just that there's no antennae, nor cable, nor satellite. So its pretty much just a monitor.

* Which I got for free on Amex points. After my local video store closed, I bit the bullet and replaced the 13" set I had with the built-in VCR.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:04 PM   #34

like the song says, there's "57 channels, and NOTHIN' ON! " ... so finally cut back to basic a few months ago (only a couple dozen channels, but still nothing on!). but three interesting results:
1) haven't turned it on since, except to notice
2) that i'm still getting the full boat, but now at the basic rate;
3) but due to #1, haven't wasted a moment in front of the boob tube.

i'd drop it entirely, but it's only costing $10/mo and there might be something of interest one of these days
Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The only reason I have cable is "The Daily Show". Is there some way to watch/capture it live without cable?
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #36

Best thing we ever did was get a DVR. It revolutionised our lives, no need to be tied to the TV or to watch ads. All our viewing time is now quality viewing, no more Wheel of Fortune because there is nothing else on.

We tried Netflix but after having the same movie for 3 months we figured it was not a real good investment. However, we do occasionally watch a Movie on Demand through the DVR.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The only reason I have cable is "The Daily Show". Is there some way to watch/capture it live without cable?
You can get a good number of the "skits" off the comedy central web page: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Official Website | Current Events & Pop Culture News, Comedy & Fake News | Comedy Central

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #38

Martha and Khan: fellow Daily Show watchers I see! Although I do prefer The Colbert report. Last week was reruns, but tomorrow is a week of new episodes!