Cable TV Prices Continue To Rise At Over Four Times The Rate Of Inflation

In our town, we have ATT - Uverse and Comcast. The neighboring town has WOW, with lower pricing and better customer service ratings. At a recent "Ask the Mayor" town hall meeting, a neighbor asked why we couldn't have WOW as a third provider and he answered that for now, our town's franchise agreements with ATT - Uverse and Comcast prevent that.

Your comment implies this kind of situation is rare. I sure wish it wasn't the case here as I'd love to have a third competitor. Perhaps it's because these three companies all offer TV in addition to HSI?
The town we lived in previous to our current address had the cable agreement written into the town charter. The cable fee is collected as another utility. Town residents only had one choice, which was to add additional services.

There are vast differences in the availability, quality and service level of internet around the country, and many areas with low quality service.

Sounds like your elected officials don't have much respect for you, or don't have the integrity to admit that they agreed to the terms and conditions of the agreement, and that they determined that you benefit from it even if you disagree.

According to youbet's sig, It is Chicago, after all. :(

Most of the more durable agreements were set aside by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (just like it set aside many of the standing restrictions against satellite dishes).

According to youbet's sig, It is Chicago, after all. :(

That explains a lot. Folks there probably suffer from the effects of a lot of such decisions by their elected leaders.

Last edited:
Yes. About $120 for the season. MLB.tv for details. Many features..

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom