Cable TV Prices Continue To Rise At Over Four Times The Rate Of Inflation

I'm peeved at the crap they're pulling with the new Star Trek. The production is a rushed mess, but they're trying to hide that and say it's going to be the flagship reason to pay $8/month or however much it is now for CBS All Access.

I tried Hulu for a short period. Paid the subscription and found it still had commercials. Dropped it immediately, and even when they gave me a month free to entice me back I couldn't be bothered.

I guess I'm just spoiled now.

Netflix DVD rental (yes, so very old fashioned) is quite economical if you watch a lot movies and TV shows they offer.

CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior. And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.

They are also going to put on a sequel to The Good Wife on that Internet service. I never watched the series but I know it has followers.

We love our cable but are sick of the price increases. So I called and said we were on an fixed income, etc and then they wanted to drop our level of service. I said no I want the same price as you give to people that are new to the service. I have been a customer for 20 years. So they try all sorts of tactics but I am a broken record for about 30 minutes until they give me what I want for a year.

I called my provider (Comcast) to get the cost of an Internet-only package. For the same speed I'm getting now with my $136/month Internet + TV + phone package they wanted $142 for Internet only. Ummmm, no. How crazy do you think I am? I could have gotten a package with slower Internet and fewer TV channels for $70 but now I can get Google Fiber instead.

It will be very interesting what Comcast tried to throw at me when I really do leave, but I won't take it. If you were willing to take less money for the services I was getting you should have charged me less- don't make me call and fight for it.

What Comcast tries now is to get you to upgrade the bundle. So if you took Internet and TV, they will try to get you to take Phone and offer a price which is lower than taking the double-play price after your contract expires.

Then after Triple Play, they will push the home security package for quad play.

Problem is, most places have no other options for fast Internet.

That kind of wireless will be more expensive though.

And maybe they limit data usage, though if they decide to compete for home Internet, that would be great, the competition would at least slow down price increases.

Netflix DVD rental (yes, so very old fashioned) is quite economical if you watch a lot movies and TV shows they offer.

CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior. And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.
It will probably show up on ice films the next day, hehe! The geekyer the show, the easier it is to, ah, "find"

We cut the cord 12 years ago, I'm amazed when I think of that.

We use netflix, OTA (about 25 channels), and occasionally I rent redbox movie for 50 cents for blueray with a coupon if there is a great movie available.

We have probably saved over $10,000 during that time.

We cut the cord 12 years ago, I'm amazed when I think of that.

We use netflix, OTA (about 25 channels), and occasionally I rent redbox movie for 50 cents for blueray with a coupon if there is a great movie available.

We have probably saved over $10,000 during that time.

+1

We never had more than basic cable, but stopped that about a dozen years also. I'm guessing about $8,000 in savings. Netflix, local library loans, and an occasional Red Box work for us.

Re: NFL games missed. When there is a game I have to see (rarely) and can't get it OTA, I go to a sports restaurant and buy a meal. $7,000 will buy alot of pizza/wings!!

Some of it is pure greed. But I think another big factor contributing to this is actually the customers.
Given that corporations like that are legally obligated to make the decisions that would maximize shareholder value, I think we can safely say the root cause is exclusively the customers and typical consumer behaviors. One of the smartest things these cable companies did is diversify their operations, adding vertical integration into production studios and television networks, and into broadband service. That way, no matter which way consumers move, they'll be there to capitalize on whatever additional discretionary income comes out of the customer's move. This is precisely what you are taught in management programs with regard to responding to inevitable commoditization of core offerings.

My problem is that we are sitting in an OTA dead zone for some reason. In spite of living in the middle of the city and within walking distance to the TV studio, I can't get squat over the air. In my remote mountain cabin, I get 15 or so channels over the air. Go figure. :mad:
This is just going to get worse. The plans now are to go ahead with the FCC repack, which will cram the existing OTA broadcast stations more tightly together. This will increase cross-station interference (no more than 2% they promise). It will also mean that the opportunity to start up a new station will be far more limited, especially in places where there is the greatest diversity of interests. I haven't gone over the plan with a fine-toothed comb yet, but the seven phase plan inevitably will involve some minor (voluntary, on the part of the station, not the viewers!) reduction in power for some stations. And, of course, a seven phase plan means that six times OTA equipment will need to re-find stations.

Are you sure about DSL being too slow?
Everything is relative. Downscale video far enough, and 56K baud would be "enough".

CBS is going to offer the new version of Star Trek later this year and I understand it will only be available via the Internet subscription service. As much as I would like to see it, I am debating if I want to buy their service for just one show. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior.
Except that some of the best programs of the last two years have come from such services (Netflix and Amazon). Hulu also is now offering original programming. If streaming becomes the "answer" then streaming will be transformed by that into precisely what folks were running away from when they ran to streaming.

I think CBS All Access has the biggest challenge to overcome, though. First, they're starting off with very little exclusive programming: Right now, just the Good Wife spinoff. Later, they'll offer the new Star Trek series, but it'll probably be the only exclusive offering at that time. That's simply not enough to compete with Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. Perhaps they'll realize that, but if they do it means transferring more of their best content away from their OTA network, filling more of the free airwaves with cheap reality programming, so as to make their over-the-top fee-based service more attractive. That does seem like a likely scenario.

And besides who knows how good it will be. The recent incarnation of SuperGirl is turning out to be a huge disappointment, unless one is into relationship issues of all sorts, IMHO.
What's wrong with interpersonal relationships as a source of drama for television programs? :confused:

Last edited:
+1. There is only one cable modem provider where I am. The only alternative is DSL, and they're way way too slow for streaming.
Are you sure about DSL being too slow? I live in an area where DSL is as fast (or faster if you want to pay more) than cable.
Of course I'm sure or I wouldn't have posted it. In my area, XFinity cable modem is 10-2000 Mbps and Frontier DSL is 6-24 Mbps.

What's wrong with interpersonal relationships as a source of drama for television programs? :confused:

Nothing in general. But, SuperGirl and her cast of characters seem to spend excessive amounts of show time reliving the same or similar relationship issues over and over and over and over and over and over..... My opinion, of course.

Oh, Why does Kara talk openly with her buddies about SG issues when in public places like office, coffee shops and public streets? Are the people of National City all deaf?

Back on topic, for streaming to work with the public, the service has to offer a large variety of shows and movies. Just steaming one network's shows will not be enough unless they price the product below $5 a month, IMHO. Otherwise the cumulative bill gets to high again.

It will be interesting to see how this sorts itself out.

Last edited:
From what I am told, DSL service speed varies quite a bit based upon one's distance from the source of the signal and the quality of the infrastructure. So, it's very possible for one person who lives near the source to have 'snappy' DSL while a person a few miles farther away can mow the lawn while they wait for a file to download.

From what I am told, DSL service speed varies quite a bit based upon one's distance from the source of the signal and the quality of the infrastructure. So, it's very possible for one person who lives near the source to have 'snappy' DSL while a person a few miles farther away can mow the lawn while they wait for a file to download.

Yep - Dad's place got about 3mbps. A bit weak for streaming, but it actually worked most of the time. Cousin's place another half mile up the road - stuck with 1.5mpbs.

From the source. Recommended speeds by Amazon and Netflix

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201422810
Standard Definition (SD) videos: 900 Kbits/sec
High Definition (HD) videos: 3.5 Mbits/sec
Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing TV shows and movies through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
True DSL should be fast enough for solo SD streaming. My last contract with AT&T (18 months ago) they offered fiber, the tech admitted it was DSL, and in the following visit admitted it was really ADSL. One issue most of us would encounter is when there are multiple devices simultaneously online competing for limited bandwidth. Video quality suffers greatly in that case.

I had 3 mbps with Comcast a little over a year ago before being bumped up to 25 with a promo. I had Sling TV/Netflix at the time and both streamed fine. Prior to that I had DSL and only had 750 kbps and it streamed SD Netflix fine. Not sure how low one can go to get the job done. Probably depends on location and what you want to stream.

It will be very interesting what Comcast tried to throw at me when I really do leave, but I won't take it. If you were willing to take less money for the services I was getting you should have charged me less- don't make me call and fight for it.
+1.

I tried to work with Dish several times over the past few months, no luck at all on any concessions - discounts, newer equipment, faster internet, etc. But when I finally called to CANCEL, and fully planned to follow through, all of a sudden they instantly cut our monthly cost by 47% without any stalling or haggling on their part! Unless something changes drastically, we'll cut the cord in 6 months or less, even if Dish offers to extend the big discount. Their service hasn't been bad, but their prices and $ increases are just too much.

After running through the gauntlet of layers of phone personal, I finally an offer of $50 off for a year, or $30 off for 2 years. I took the two years as I need an extra year break from doing this again. But... It is just a bonus savings as I am not dropping. I enjoy it too much. Though I am thinking of dropping my Netflix as I do not use it much.

My last contract with AT&T (18 months ago) they offered fiber, the tech admitted it was DSL, and in the following visit admitted it was really ADSL. One issue most of us would encounter is when there are multiple devices simultaneously online competing for limited bandwidth. Video quality suffers greatly in that case.

Just about always the fiber offered by the phones companies is fiber to the neighbourhood and DSL from there to the home. That way the DSL run length is very short meaning that it can be faster. DSL speed is inversely proportional to the distance to the switching station. None of the phone companies are running fiber to the house.

I'm got Comcast but fortunately it's a Comcast Business line to the house and they are a completely different organization to work with. I had an issue with the line last year, called in the morning about it, and they sent a tech around that afternoon with a short appointment window. I had this set up from the last company I w*rked for before retiring and they reimbursed me for the cost. I've kept the account since them because of the speed and service. The cost isn't that much more than a consumer line but that's probably because it was part of a very large contract for home service.

MARITA40 Which cheap target antenna do you use? just curious as the one's I have tried did not do much. thanks

We cut the cord this past weekend. We now use an antenna for OTA which pulls in the major networks, PBS and some minor channels - about 21 in all. We put Roku sticks on all the TVs which gives us access to tons of free content. We have Amazon Prime and share our son's Netflix account. We tested for one month going without cable - just using the antenna and Roku, etc. Discovered we were able to access everything we needed/wanted. Bye-bye big cable bill.
This describes exactly what I did about 2-3 years ago. I still pay the cable company for internet access, but no more cable tv for me.

I remember when I cancelled cable tv there was an initial period where I missed having 24/7 news channels like CNN or CNBC and others, but after a while I got over it and now I am glad that I did and I do not miss it. Most of what they call "breaking news" is just not that important after all, or at least not so important that I have to be glued to the tv to see it in real time everyday...and don't get me started about the constant barrage of commercials...I did not realize how intense it was until I got away from it. For example, I sometimes see cable tv news when I am in a waiting room or a restaurant somewhere, and I can now see how pervasive the commercials are and how much they ramble on and on about the same piece of news with a never ending parade of talking heads and I am amazed that I used to watch that stuff everyday.

Most of my tv watching is now on Netflix or Amazon Prime or PBS or BBC, and I have access to more high quality shows that I have time to watch...without commercials! It is hard for me now to watch shows with commercials.

Last edited:
We used this antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQMCDK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and put it in the attic. We had planned to mount it outdoors, but it works fine in the attic and is out of the weather.

Regarding access to CNN - Roku has a YouTube channel which we use to watch live CNN. We also loaded Channel Pear to the Roku and picked CNN as one of the 5 free channels to use on that. It is live 24/7 CNN.

I remember when I cancelled cable tv there was an initial period where I missed having 24/7 news channels like CNN or CNBC and others, but after a while I got over it and now I am glad that I did and I do not miss it. Most of what they call "breaking news" is just not that important after all, or at least not so important that I have to be glued to the tv to see it in real time everyday...and don't get me started about the constant barrage of commercials...I did not realize how intense it was until I got away from it. For example, I sometimes see cable tv news when I am in a waiting room or a restaurant somewhere, and I can now see how pervasive the commercials are and how much they ramble on and on about the same piece of news with a never ending parade of talking heads and I am amazed that I used to watch that stuff everyday.

Most of my tv watching is now on Netflix or Amazon Prime or PBS or BBC, and I have access to more high quality shows that I have time to watch...without commercials! It is hard for me now to watch shows with commercials.

Great description! I think you do have to get away from it for a while yo really see what an incredible time and emotional energy waste it all is.

Cable prices might actually be reasonable for a family with kids where everybody is watching something all the time on multiple devices at home and away from home. But not for the typical ER couple. Latest Comcast bill jacked up the price $20 per month, and they would not budge when we called them. So will disconnect the TVs and take the boxes to the Comcast store and cancel and just say know if they offer a last-ditch price cut.

Cable prices might actually be reasonable for a family with kids where everybody is watching something all the time on multiple devices at home and away from home.

Going from 2 devices to 4 with downloading videos on 4 more phones or tablets changes Netflix's monthly plan from $9.99 to $11.99/month.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom