calling all computer geeks

Shredder

Recycles dryer sheets
I had a hard drive replacement. I'm now up and running, but somewhat slow. I downloaded a registry program to help,(registry pro or something like that)it showed a lot of registry problems with my computer. When I went to use it for a second time it did not work, it denied my password, err, code number that was emailed to me. I emailed their support. They sent back an email that said their update person is missing and to get a hold of my credit card company so I'm not charged. My questions are, how do I fix registry problems safely? is there a free site? what sites are recommended?        Thanks Shredder

Maybe a bit more info...what kind of drive did you have and what kind do you have now? Its possible that the newer drive is actually slower than the old one or misconfigured.

What version of windows do you have, and if its XP, do you have System Restore enabled? If so, do a help search on your machine for 'system restore' and run it, go back to a checkpoint before you did this registry fix.

And dont run any more of those registry fix programs. At best they remove unused entries that probably werent causing you much of a problem in the first place. At worst, your system gets hosed.

Now that we're hopefully past the immediate problem, what exactly do you perceive to be slower now and why do you relate it to the hard drive or registry?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Maybe a bit more info...what kind of drive did you have and what kind do you have now?  Its possible that the newer drive is actually slower than the old one or misconfigured.

What version of windows do you have, and if its XP, do you have System Restore enabled?  If so, do a help search on your machine for 'system restore' and run it, go back to a checkpoint before you did this registry fix.

And dont run any more of those registry fix programs.  At best they remove unused entries that probably werent causing you much of a problem in the first place.  At worst, your system gets hosed.

Now that we're hopefully past the immediate problem, what exactly do you perceive to be slower now and why do you relate it to the hard drive or registry?

I'm running windows XP have a Sony rx682 computer with a hard drive partitioned to 30 gig and 90 gig the old hard drive was a Maxtor or maxcore or something like that and the new one is a western, I think he said. I had a warranty with Sam's club they farmed the job to nexicore who farmed it to a local guy. He put in the new drive, got windows up and split. I went on to run the restore disks, when it got to the part for windows registry I skipped since the modem was not hooked up yet, when everything was up it crashed again, actually it would not restart, nexicore said to start all over with restore disks then when it got to windows registry go to what ever web site it directed me to to fix the registry. Thats when I got this download from registry update, for $39.95, it worked at first, then would not run again. Actually the speed seems to be getting better as I use it. But bringing up the desktop takes a longer time. I also now have a security suite program from my cable co (charter high speed) that I did not have before. The local guy recommended PC Cillin, but it would not let me even get on the internet. I had Norton before and now like I said this firewall and security from charter. This may be the reason for the slower speed, I don't know. Also I downloaded the new browser, IE 7 or something, when I downloaded all the window updates. Maybe that's it.......Shredder

Back
Top Bottom