Join Early Retirement Today

calling all computer geeks
Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

calling all computer geeks

I had a hard drive replacement. I'm now up and running, but somewhat slow. I downloaded a registry program to help,(registry pro or something like that)it showed a lot of registry problems with my computer. When I went to use it for a second time it did not work, it denied my password, err, code number that was emailed to me. I emailed their support. They sent back an email that said their update person is missing and to get a hold of my credit card company so I'm not charged. My questions are, how do I fix registry problems safely? is there a free site? what sites are recommended?* * * * Thanks Shredder

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: calling all computer geeks
Old 07-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe a bit more info...what kind of drive did you have and what kind do you have now? Its possible that the newer drive is actually slower than the old one or misconfigured.

What version of windows do you have, and if its XP, do you have System Restore enabled? If so, do a help search on your machine for 'system restore' and run it, go back to a checkpoint before you did this registry fix.

And dont run any more of those registry fix programs. At best they remove unused entries that probably werent causing you much of a problem in the first place. At worst, your system gets hosed.

Now that we're hopefully past the immediate problem, what exactly do you perceive to be slower now and why do you relate it to the hard drive or registry?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Maybe a bit more info...what kind of drive did you have and what kind do you have now?* Its possible that the newer drive is actually slower than the old one or misconfigured.

What version of windows do you have, and if its XP, do you have System Restore enabled?* If so, do a help search on your machine for 'system restore' and run it, go back to a checkpoint before you did this registry fix.

And dont run any more of those registry fix programs.* At best they remove unused entries that probably werent causing you much of a problem in the first place.* At worst, your system gets hosed.

Now that we're hopefully past the immediate problem, what exactly do you perceive to be slower now and why do you relate it to the hard drive or registry?
I'm running windows XP have a Sony rx682 computer with a hard drive partitioned to 30 gig and 90 gig the old hard drive was a Maxtor or maxcore or something like that and the new one is a western, I think he said. I had a warranty with Sam's club they farmed the job to nexicore who farmed it to a local guy. He put in the new drive, got windows up and split. I went on to run the restore disks, when it got to the part for windows registry I skipped since the modem was not hooked up yet, when everything was up it crashed again, actually it would not restart, nexicore said to start all over with restore disks then when it got to windows registry go to what ever web site it directed me to to fix the registry. Thats when I got this download from registry update, for $39.95, it worked at first, then would not run again. Actually the speed seems to be getting better as I use it. But bringing up the desktop takes a longer time. I also now have a security suite program from my cable co (charter high speed) that I did not have before. The local guy recommended PC Cillin, but it would not let me even get on the internet. I had Norton before and now like I said this firewall and security from charter. This may be the reason for the slower speed, I don't know. Also I downloaded the new browser, IE 7 or something, when I downloaded all the window updates. Maybe that's it.......Shredder