Car Guy Dreams Thread

• GM: Opel Kadett 1972
  • VW-Audi: 1966 VW Beetle
  • Jaguar: S220
  • Lamborghini: A poster of a Countach on my bedroom wall?
  • Rolls-Bentley: Silver Shadow from the 60s
  • Nissan-Infiniti: A Maxima as my daily driver perhaps?
  • Volvo: A 240 from the 70s.

Not sure if the list is supposed to be our "holy grail" of cars, but if so, mine would be:

Ferrari: La Ferrari
Lamborghini: Aventador
Porsche: 911 GT3RS
Jaguar: F-Type SVR (not available yet, but is coming)

I've driven an Aventador around a track in Las Vegas...would definitely be worth the $400k price of entry if I had that kind of $$$ to throw away on a car.

I want to play too:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage (80s vintage)
Porsche 993
Lotus Elise
BMW M Coupe (with the S54 engine)
Mercedes Sprinter Class B RV
1969 Volvo 1800S (currently own, but needs restoring - one of my first jobs when I finally get over my OMY syndrome!)

I am not a "Car Guy", not being any kind of guy but female! But anyway, here are my thoughts.

I'm so turned off by cars these days. Not sure why! But I remember back in my teens, I longed for an MGB, and then a black convertible VW. See below!

Now that I am in my 60's, I like being able to get from point A to point B without breaking down, in a spacious, sturdy, comfortable vehicle. I reminisce about the days when cars would let ME drive and make all the decisions, instead of controlling so much with overabundant electronics. In recent years all of these factors seem to overshadow style and performance, for me.

Attachments

• MGB.jpg
    MGB.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 11
  • VW.jpg
    VW.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 10
Speaking of Dodge Vipers, quite a few early ones have been destroyed by Fiat Chrysler: Chrysler crushing Dodge Vipers - Video

For car enthusiasts, the videos are very saddening to watch.
After reading the article you linked to, I am not at all surprised (or saddened) at Fiat-Chryslers actions. They were never supposed to be on the road...

After reading the article you linked to, I am not at all surprised (or saddened) at Fiat-Chryslers actions. They were never supposed to be on the road...

I'm sure there are plenty of car museums that would have been glad to have had them donated.

I'm sure there are plenty of car museums that would have been glad to have had them donated.
I take it you didn't have time to read the article. Chrysler genererously donated the illegal pre-production models to benefit education - but some schools didn't honor their agreement with Chrysler. Why would they assume all the "museums" would? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...
At least two of the cars managed to make it to public roads and—big shock—were involved in accidents. Since Chrysler still technically owns the cars, the company is liable for any damages. The resulting lawsuits have cost the automaker millions of dollars.

Last edited:
I would think that somebody at Chrysler would be smart enough to subsequently sue those schools that sold the "educational tools". And maybe the states that issued titles on those "educational tools".

Their PR dept may have overridden that action though. Wouldn't look good in the public eye, you know!

Or maybe there just wasn't any paperwork trail when the "donation" was made, transferring ownership of such educational items to the schools, or stipulating the end-of-usefulness actions to be taken. Experimental vehicles have been around for many years. Some just design exercises, others as short term leases to test reliability in real world conditions by the the mfgr. Certainly somebody should have had some idea this could happen. Either way, the legal depts at Chrysler have been lax, IMO.

I take it you didn't have time to read the article. Chrysler genererously donated the illegal pre-production models to benefit education - but some schools didn't honor their agreement with Chrysler. Why would they assume all the "museums" would? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

Your quote from the article states "Chrysler still technically owns the cars" so they apparently didn't really fully "donate" the cars to the schools.

Your quote from the article states "Chrysler still technically owns the cars" so they apparently didn't really fully "donate" the cars to the schools.
Really? How does that change 'you can't blame Chrysler for destroying their cars' after racking up millions in liabilities?' No good deed goes unpunished...

I'm not surprised several members want to fault Chrysler, we disagree...

Last edited:
1997 Toyota Supra twin turbo
1977 Datsun 280-Z Z Zap
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1963 VW Beetle
1973 BMW 3.0 CSL
2005 Honda S2000 F22C1

My current favorite is the recently acquired S65 AMG, massaged a bit by RENNtech.

Attachments

• IMG_2769-1.jpg
    IMG_2769-1.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 8
Trabant
Lada Niva
Yogu
Skoda
...I kid...

Or cars I owned and regretted selling?
NSX
E36 M3
96 Miata
Land Cruiser (LC100)
Supra MKIV
MR2

Cars I lust after:
these days nothing really...I'm losing interest in 'cool' cars but there are some that I wouldn't mind having from the usability perspective that suits my lifestyle today i.e. a truck, a fun car and a practical everyday car:

Ford Raptor/Dodge Powerwagon
Skyline GTR/Porsche GT2/3
Genesis/Audi A6/A7/M3/M5

But...I can't afford those, too far behind on my ER funds :(

None really in the unobtanium category:

69 Plymouth Roadrunner
69 Z28 Camaro
82 Mazda RX-7
94 Toyota MR2
04 Lexus IS300
15 Tesla Model S

I'm not really too big on the old "nostalgia" cars. New cars are so much better, eg more power, handle way better, faster, don't rust, etc. Quite a few have mentioned M5 and I would agree. Currently drive one as well as M6. Can't beat the value of the M5. Almost super car performance, with fairly reasonable pricing plus very practical.
Maybe a convertible Ferrari or Porsche would be fun in Arizona.

1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT

1988 Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV

2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible 454/450 HP, 4-Speed

1989 Porsche 930 Turbo Cabriolet

2009 Bentley Arnage Final Series

I want to play too:

Aston Martin V8 Vantage (80s vintage)
Porsche 993
Lotus Elise
BMW M Coupe (with the S54 engine)
Mercedes Sprinter Class B RV
1969 Volvo 1800S (currently own, but needs restoring - one of my first jobs when I finally get over my OMY syndrome!)

I guess I can scratch Lotus Elise off the list as "dream" cars since I now own one. I am hoping that with the Toyota engine and the seeming complete lack of depreciation on these cars that it won't adversely affect my path to FIRE, but if it does, it's worth it :)

Attachments

• 2005 Lotus Elise.jpg
    2005 Lotus Elise.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 10
I have a Saab 9-3 Viggen, extensively modified to put about 400 hp and 400 torque on the front wheels. It's stupid fast, and it's in the garage waiting for a clutch. Not that it's a dream car, but it's cured me of older cars that might prove maintenance-intensive.

So my current semi-practical dream car is a Cadillac CTS-V wagon. At $50,000 or so, it would be the most I've ever paid for a car, but not out of reach. Maybe someday.

I like wagons and currently own a 850 Volvo, better hurry up the Cadillac wagon was discontinue last year. Not many folks like the wagons style cars!!!

Quite a few have mentioned M5 and I would agree. Currently drive one as well as M6. Can't beat the value of the M5. Almost super car performance, with fairly reasonable pricing plus very practical.

+1 Like most of the supercars I have owned, I do miss the M5, it was practical, comfortable and fast for such a heavy car. I attended the BMW M5 performance driving school in Spartanburg, SC; what a hoot that was.

Back
Top Bottom