car insurance

Corporateburnout

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My daughter got into an accident driving my DW's car and the insurance company deemed the car a total loss. I have been dealing with the insurance company directly (No agent) I feel that the car is repairable and I would like to have it repaired and give it to my daughter. I am willing to accept what the insurance company is willing to pay for the car as my BIL will repair it for that amount but they claim that since it is a total loss it should not be repaired and they will issue the check once I give them title and only after the car is picked up.

I feel that since it is my car I reserve the right to repair it if I choose to do so. What do you think?

I would guess you would have to pay the insurance company what they would have received in salvage income for your car.

Did they total it because of a safety issue? If so let them have it and buy your daughter a good used (safe) car.

dex said:
I would guess you would have to pay the insurance company what they would have received in salvage income for your car.

I offered them the salvage cost but they refused.

Outtahere said:
Did they total it because of a safety issue? If so let them have it and buy your daughter a good used (safe) car.

They totaled it because the cost of repair was 92% of book value. I wouldn't have considered repairing it otherwise.

insrance companies are hard to understand in this exact situation. ive been there, done that

final result was me getting pissed off, changing companies, then finding out they all treat this type of incident the same way...when they say totalled, you are getting a check

they went as far as to not let me retreive my custom stereo system after the accident...they insisted on paying me for the speakers and such...
WTF:confused:

Corporateburnout said:
My daughter got into an accident driving my DW's car and the insurance company deemed the car a total loss. I have been dealing with the insurance company directly (No agent) I feel that the car is repairable and I would like to have it repaired and give it to my daughter. I am willing to accept what the insurance company is willing to pay for the car as my BIL will repair it for that amount but they claim that since it is a total loss it should not be repaired and they will issue the check once I give them title and only after the car is picked up.

I feel that since it is my car I reserve the right to repair it if I choose to do so. What do you think?

That's pretty standard policy these days. The question is always the AMOUNT that THEY value it at........... :p :p

Back
Top Bottom