Car Purchase Timing

Those previously on here talking about purchasing the Volvo XC60 have bought the last of a dying breed--a full combustion engine Volvo.

Volvo is quickly going to electrics and hybrids from here on out. See: https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/210058/volvo-cars-to-go-all-electric

I ordered a 2018 Camry Hybrid a year ago, and have put 23K miles on it. We're seeing 48 mpg at 75 mph on highway and mountain mixed driving. It runs just about silently around town and gets 52 mpg locally. Hybrids are the cars of the future, and I'm not giving up a thing versus the gasoline powered alternative.

Isn't Volvo owned by TaTa Motors Sorry Geely ..the Chinese guys . You might pay high Tariffs

Last edited:
No, Geely, a Chinese company that poured money into it and brought Volvo back to life.

Kind of funny , a friend showed up the other night with a new Dodge Van . He said mostly all Italian parts

Absolutely. Despite the Chinese ownership, it's still very much a Swedish company. But they now have major factories in Sweden, Belgium, China, and the USA (South Carolina). Depending on the model and which market it's specified for, they can build them closer to the customer that way.

We used to buy Volvo's years ago before Ford touched them . Loved my old 240D Also had a 740 . All of my old Volvo buddies are purists , have no interest in the new ones .

No, Geely, a Chinese company that poured money into it and brought Volvo back to life.
Volvo’s cars are more Swedish now, than when Ford owned them. One might even say that Geely is one of the best things to happen to Volvo since 1998

Are any of the cars still made in Sweden or Europe?

Yes. The XC40 for sure is made in Ghent. Some XC60 on my dealers lot are from Sweden, some China. I’d drive a China made one, no worries.

So about 10 days in, we are loving the Volvo XC60. The infotainment system does have a learning curve to it simply because there are so many things you can look up or modify. There are still a ton of things I don't know how to do yet. But, it will come with time. Obviously I don't yet know how reliable the car will be but so far we are happy we made this decision.

But- anyway- my pitch is for the Sante Fe or Sante Fe Sport. Forget the Volvo!

What used to be the Santa Fe Sport is now the Santa Fe. What used to be the Santa Fe is the Santa Fe XL. The 2019 Santa Fee (the 5 person vehicle) is new this year. The 2019 XL is revamped from last year's Santa Fe and supposedly will be revamped next year.

We actually did like the Santa Fe that we test drove quite a lot. It was second on our list after the Volvos. The only negative was that the seat was not as comfortable. But it was acceptable. DH did the test drive and liked it a lot. But, he feels the Volvo is better. Of course, there is a significant difference in price. Still -- we will probably replace our 2012 Ford Explorer in a few years and I am sure I will look at the Santa Fe again at that time (I only want SUVs).

Those previously on here talking about purchasing the Volvo XC60 have bought the last of a dying breed--a full combustion engine Volvo.

I would actually love to own a plug in hybrid. I feel that right now they are still a little too expensive but somewhere down the line would love to have one.

Back
Top Bottom