Poll: How Often Have You Had A Flat Tire?

How often have you had a flat on average

• Less than 3 years apart

Votes: 31 19.1%
  • More than 3 years apart

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • More than 5 years apart

Votes: 30 18.5%
  • More than 10 years apart

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • More than 20 years apart

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • More than 30 years apart

Votes: 25 15.4%

• Total voters
Kind of a derail, but do you all replace your tires due to age? I checked my tires due to this thread and found the born on date to be 2017 though by wear they are not yet needed. (All those WFH days helped!) Theoretically, this is "too old". Not planning any long trips but I do live in AZ with extreme summer heat.

My tires on our car at our Az condo developed a lot of cracking probably due to heat. Noticed it when one went flat. I told the tire place that I thought I needed all tires replaced. They agreed.

You may want to have yours checked at tire place. 6 or 7 years old - you may need new ones now in that heat

I have never hit an age problem with tires... but I have read anywhere between 8 to 10 years are OK...

I just changed tires at 7 years but the tread was low...

Hmm I thought it was 6 years I will do some searches.

My tires on our car at our Az condo developed a lot of cracking probably due to heat. Noticed it when one went flat. I told the tire place that I thought I needed all tires replaced. They agreed.

You may want to have yours checked at tire place. 6 or 7 years old - you may need new ones now in that heat

Yeah maybe I am remembering 6 from a prior tire store thing. . . I recall being sold a very very old tire when I had a flat in an unfortunate situation and the next time I got them rotated I remember being scolded. I of course did not know any better at the time and didn't know to ask for the "born on" date. . .

Tires are actually what tells me summer is here. . . before I pay attention to the actual temps. We start seeing tread separation all over the freeways.

My friends with RVs who park outside replace theirs on a schedule (even with tire covers) but of course they go more miles than me and more difficult to get an RV tire in the middle of a trip.

Last edited:
Amazing! Tire sellers recommend replacing tires that appear to be in perfect condition!

Amazing! Tire sellers recommend replacing tires that appear to be in perfect condition!

LOL I wouldn't call mine perfect but as to if they are actually bad IDK. I pretty much consider them okay if threads aren't sticking out.

TIL major local tire chain will sell tires manufactured up to 2 years ago. . .

I usually have a tire going flat about once or twice about every year. Usually a screw or nail in a tire. All my cars and trailers have spares and I would never drive without a spare. South Carolina has a lot of construction and stuff falling onto the roads where I live. I plug my own tires and carry electric pumps in my vehicles as well as plug kits. I recommend carrying Safety Seal Plug Kits. I know the kit may seem like it costs a lot but for me they pay for themselves. I plug my trailer and tractor tires too. https://safetyseal.com/product/kab30/

Back
Top Bottom