Join Early Retirement Today

Car registration question
Old 04-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Car registration question

My daughter is a student and works at the University of North Dakota. She took our car to North Dakota last July and will not be returning home this year by car just flying. The car is registered in Maine in our names and Maine requires an annual auto inspection sticker so it will no longer have a valid Maine sticker, North Dakota does not require a sticker.

My daughter will also be switching to a North Dakota drivers license soon.

Would you just give her the car and let her get a North Dakota registration or would you keep it and just keep the Maine registration active and not worry about the Maine sticker?

Any other things I should consider?
gbstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know Maine's laws, but some states for situation like yours you can get a registration renewal without inspection since it is out of state.

Which state is less cost? That would be my question before I got too involved. If ND is less, then it may make sense to give daughter the car and let her title and reg in ND under her name. Is she on your insurance?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I don't know Maine's laws, but some states for situation like yours you can get a registration renewal without inspection since it is out of state.

Which state is less cost? That would be my question before I got too involved. If ND is less, then it may make sense to give daughter the car and let her title and reg in ND under her name. Is she on your insurance?
It looks like the cost will be less in North Dakota and she is on our insurance and that will be a little less in North Dakota.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #4

The big thing you need to consider is what your insurance company thinks. Is your daughter designated as the primary driver? Is the car listed as being primarily kept in North Dakota? These things have a big impact on your rates with most companies and if you're less than honest about them you could find yourself in some difficulty if something happens.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The big thing you need to consider is what your insurance company thinks. Is your daughter designated as the primary driver? Is the car listed as being primarily kept in North Dakota? These things have a big impact on your rates with most companies and if you're less than honest about them you could find yourself in some difficulty if something happens.
She is listed as the primary driver and the car is listed as being kept in North Dakota.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Colorado accepted an emissions test from Arizona for my renewal. Not sure if other states have reciprocals.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

If you give her the car and title it in her name you will not be able to keep it on your policy since you will not have an insurable interest in the vehicle. Also, some companies are regional in nature and are not licensed to write policies in all states, so check with your insurance agent to see if she can be insured as an owner in North Dakota and will they keep her at the same rates as she had being on your policy. Most companies are not fond of "youthful operators" and either charge more or don't want them unless they are on their parent's policy.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

North Dakota auto license fee is fairly cheap; only $90 on my 2007 Lincoln MKX. Fee is based on age and weight of vehicle. There is no vehicle inspection of any kind. Insurance is also relatively cheap. If you give her the car there may be some "sale" tax based on book value of the car.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
North Dakota auto license fee is fairly cheap; only $90 on my 2007 Lincoln MKX. Fee is based on age and weight of vehicle. There is no vehicle inspection of any kind. Insurance is also relatively cheap. If you give her the car there may be some "sale" tax based on book value of the car.
That is good news!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

If you do give the car to daughter, there are also states with provisions that title can be transferred within family and not pay the sales tax. Check into ND laws.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
If you do give the car to daughter, there are also states with provisions that title can be transferred within family and not pay the sales tax. Check into ND laws.
Thanks - Just checked and it is tax free in ND if you give the car to a family member.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #12

I would expect the insurance to be cheaper if the car is in your name, if the insurance co will allow it.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #13

[QUOTE=gbstack;1719981
Would you just give her the car and let her get a North Dakota registration or would you keep it and just keep the Maine registration active and not worry about the Maine sticker? [/QUOTE]

I suggest checking with Maine about whether the sticker is necessary if the car is going to be in ND for a longish time.

Here in WV they also have a state inspection/sticker program, but for members of the military the requirement for inspection and sticker can be waived if the service member is stationed out of the state and they have 30 days upon returning to get the inspection and sticker. I don't know for sure but I'd think it reasonable that a similar exemption exists for college students attending school out of state.

So I'd call Maine DMV and ask.

Another issue is the one of registration and tag fees. Check and see what those will be if you register the car in ND and then she comes back to Maine and reregisters it there - depending on the value of the car that could be several thousand dollars.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I would expect the insurance to be cheaper if the car is in your name, if the insurance co will allow it.
I did an online quote and its about the same rate. I was a little surprised, but they did increase my rate when she took the car to North Dakota. She also has a great driving record and a real good credit score, and she is 23.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I suggest checking with Maine about whether the sticker is necessary if the car is going to be in ND for a longish time.

Here in WV they also have a state inspection/sticker program, but for members of the military the requirement for inspection and sticker can be waived if the service member is stationed out of the state and they have 30 days upon returning to get the inspection and sticker. I don't know for sure but I'd think it reasonable that a similar exemption exists for college students attending school out of state.

So I'd call Maine DMV and ask.

Another issue is the one of registration and tag fees. Check and see what those will be if you register the car in ND and then she comes back to Maine and reregisters it there - depending on the value of the car that could be several thousand dollars.
Thanks for the information. I guess my biggest fear is the insurance company. If something did happen would they say the car should have a sticker because it’s registered in Maine so no coverage.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstack View Post
I guess my biggest fear is the insurance company. If something did happen would they say the car should have a sticker because it’s registered in Maine so no coverage.
That one is easy, just call the insurance company, explain the situation, and ask if that would cause a problem if you later had to file a claim. My guess would be probably not unless it could be shown that lack of the inspection led to lack of repairs or maintenance, that in turn led to the accident, such as failure to maintain the brakes on the car.

But if you call and ask (write down the name of the person you talk to) and they tell you "don't worry about it" then you probably don't need to concern yourself with it.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #17

The comprehensive coverage on cars can be a little higher in North Dakota because there are a lot of backroads covered in gravel and windshields get broken more often from rocks coming off tires.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I own my son's car and his motorcycle. Since he is younger than 26, the insurance guy said it would be much less expensive to insure under my name rather than under his, even though he is insured to operate both vehicles.

This effect might be less pronounced for young women, but still might be worth a call to the insurance agent.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
I own my son's car and his motorcycle. Since he is younger than 26, the insurance guy said it would be much less expensive to insure under my name rather than under his, even though he is insured to operate both vehicles.

This effect might be less pronounced for young women, but still might be worth a call to the insurance agent.
When I do an online quote the rate is about the same if under her name or staying on our policy! The quote is from our current company.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I always wanted to get the kids on their own as soon as possible as far as owning, registering and insuring their cars. The liability exposure made me uncomfortable even with plenty of insurance coverage. In Connecticut yo can transfer to a family member without paying tax on the sale.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote