Washington State road trip

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thinking of flying to Washington State and doing a road trip in the Pacific Northwest for when the weather is decent (end of July/beginning of August). Looking for advice. I am not sure if we would just do Washington or also include the Oregon coast and/or Vancouver. We are not big city people - so mainly looking for outdoor/scenic things to do like hiking (easy to moderate) and not too high elevation. Some things that look potentially interesting include Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, San Juan Islands and Leavenworth. One idea might be to fly into Eugene, Oregon and drive up the coast and then return from Seattle and/or Spokane. Another idea is to simply fly round trip to Seattle and do some type of loop in Washington State. Not sure where to begin. Looking to see if anyone has done a similar trip and any suggestions.

Yeah, Mount St. Helens Johnston Ridge Observatory was well worth it. Spectacular drive out there.

Oregon Cost is spectacular.

My favorite in WA is the Olympic Peninsula.

Our most recent visit which was in August - we visited San Juan island for almost a week - just awesome. And we did spend a couple of nights in Leavenworth, overrun with tourists. The drive there was spectacular. We hiked nearby.

Whenever we return we plan to stay in Paradise WA.

Last edited:
Based on your areas of interest, I might do Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP, then take the ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles, WA. DW and I have done this leg as part of ferry circuit to Anacortes, WA and have also done it as a day trip to Victoria from Port Angeles to just to walk around town. The trail at Hoh rain forest is easy hiking as well, but it does take some time to get there from Port Angeles.

Olympic NP - staying at Lake Crescent Lodge a few days is well worth it. It’s a good base.

Hurricane Ridge itself is better accessed from Port Angeles.

The Columbia Gorge is another place to consider. Lots of waterfalls, mostly on the Oregon side. Very close to the Portland airport.

Worth going all the way out to Hood River OR, great views. Then you can visit Mt. Hood. More great views.

We have lived in several spots in Washington state and have done a fair bit, though not everything as there is so much in this state!

The San Juan Islands are definitely fun. If you take one of the ferries from, say, Anacortes to Friday Harbor, it is a cheap and excellent way to get a scenic water tour. Once in Friday Harbor, you drive to visit the English and British camp sites from the Great Pig War (hint, it wasn't that much of a war)

You probably could find a boat tour to try and see a orca pod. We just always happen to run across them when on our sailboat (not on porpoise of course) so have never taken an official tour but I am sure they exist. We had a gray whale actually come into our marina in Blaine, WA and swim under our boat...it was BIG.

If you are going to Leavenworth, you are likely taking Hwy 2. We used to live in Sultan, WA which is on Hwy 2 and not too far up the road is a very nice hike to Wallace Falls. Definitely would give you some NW forest vibes and is a very pretty hike and waterfall.

On the coast you have Long Beach and Ocean Shores, which are wide, long beaches, some of which you can actually drive on. Continuing on up you can try to spot vampires in one of the wettest areas in the USA (like 10 feet of rain a year). You can grab a Ferry in Port Townsend and zip across to Coupville, then drive up to Anacortes and take that Friday Harbor Ferry. (I really like the ferry system because I love boats and water).

Thinking of flying to Washington State and doing a road trip in the Pacific Northwest for when the weather is decent (end of July/beginning of August). Looking for advice. I am not sure if we would just do Washington or also include the Oregon coast and/or Vancouver. We are not big city people - so mainly looking for outdoor/scenic things to do like hiking (easy to moderate) and not too high elevation. Some things that look potentially interesting include Olympic National Park, North Cascades National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, San Juan Islands and Leavenworth. One idea might be to fly into Eugene, Oregon and drive up the coast and then return from Seattle and/or Spokane. Another idea is to simply fly round trip to Seattle and do some type of loop in Washington State. Not sure where to begin. Looking to see if anyone has done a similar trip and any suggestions.

In NW Oregon, SW Washington:
+++ Drive north oregon coast. Seaside, Cannon Beach
+++ Drive up Columbia gorge to Hood River, then up to Timberline on Mt Hood
+++ Visit Mt St Helens. Note: Johnston Ridge Observatory is currently unreachable due to a landslide at Coldwater Lake. You can loop around from the south to Windy Ridge, but that's a 3 hour drive from Woodland.
Vancouver, Wa- not much to see there. Well, at least it's not Portland. :blush:

I love the Oregon Coast, especially the Central Coast from about Florence to Manzanita, although there are more attractions and history near Astoria. Enjoyed a trip to the San Juan Islands many years ago. The ferry ride over and kayaking were fun. Unfortunately have not seen much else in Washington State except a drive up I-5 and Seattle although Olympic NP interests me. We also took a dinner cruise boat from Bellingham to Victoria Canada for the afternoon and I would like to go back and spend a few days there.

We spent over a month traveling in our RV the entire Oregon coast in June 2008, all the way from Crescent CA to Clatsop Spit OR where we somehow managed to snag a week at Fort Steven’s State Park even for the 4th of July. We stayed in Oregon State Parks almost the entire way. It was fantastic. We had been to various sections of the coast before, but really enjoyed the whole thing.

Because by that summer gas prices had gone crazy high we were the only TX license plates around.

Some advice: if you are planning on traveling to Washington and/or Oregon in July or August, be sure to have flexible plans. Not to be a downer, but you’ll be in the middle of fire season out here. Even if your plans don’t end up being close to a fire, that smoke covers a lot of ground. Last August, I drove from Spokane to Eugene for the start of a multi-day bike tour and never left the heavy smoke. Total crap shoot on if or where there might be fires this summer.

Also summer is the time for road repair and construction. Always fun to wait and wait to go a few miles at a time. I suggest checking your route for this and plan.....particularly with fires near Yakima and I-90 construction. However this has much improved over time.

I have to pitch Astoria. What a great spot right on the mouth of the Columbia. A must stay is the Canary Pier Resort, awesome and worth the price. It has great views of the ships, a great restaurant and spa, and they will drive you in a choice of Roll Royce or other classic cars into the town for free so you do not have to park. its crowded there for a reason, but then i like the beers (both Bouy and Fort George) and particularly Pilot distillery which makes the famous Painted Lady Gin. No tax there, so its 1/2 price of WA.

OK so I have lived here nearly 70 years and a little biased having been everywhere. For an outsider I agree north Olympic peninsula, Crescent Lake, and Dungeness Spit county park a must see. Hike a few miles of spit out into the straits of good old Juan De Fuca.

Leavenworth, is busy, but great food and brews, and representative selection of great WA wineries tasting rooms. Don't miss Larch, a great dining and cocktail establishment. Parking is a bit tough in the summer, but we stay at friends summer home and walk into town. Icicle Creek nearby hiking and camping, and then head over to Lake Chelan and stay at the old Cambells lodge at the end or new airbnb's, you can even stay in a party pontoon boat and cruise the lake. Drive up to the North Cascades and stay in Early Winters, the ski resort that never happened. Great hikes and mountain bike trails.

Go take a look at the Grand Coulee Dam, but don't take the wrong turn and end up at the base of the dam like we did in 1964. My Dad missed it.....

You can loop back from Hwy 2 going down Hwy97 to I90 and hit Suncadia and Roslyn. Fun little town with some great food like authentic Mayan cuisine, The Brick Saloon is across the street, or stay at Suncadia and enjoy the golf and winery and dining there. Off roading, you can go up to the top of some really great hills with open views of the east side mountains. Hit Snoqualmie Falls and stay at the lodge there with an excellent breakfast. Get your Costco gift card and save a few bucks on the package. The falls are a big hit for most to see.

Then there is Walla Walla versus Woodinville, both have many of the same wineries accompanied by some great dining options. White House in the walls, and Barking Frog or Delille in Woodinville, but we like Russell's, casual and high end chef and a secret discount 2 for 1 with a Passport app. Heritage is very good as well.

If you do Anacortes check out LA Conner, named after their famous politician, at least a local fav.

Last edited:
Also to consider is a drive up to Whistler BC in the summer. Its on sale with the CAD rate, full of summer activities, hiking etc, but the Peak to Peak Gondola is a major view to ride while doing some easy hiking on the top of the mountains. Plenty of hikes down at the base elevation as well, the drive is one of our favorites both in winter for skiing and summer as resort has so much to offer.

It is about a 5 hour drive up to Whistler from Seattle, passing through the border and through Vancouver BC. Then there is always the Alaska Cruises to consider if your in Seattle or Vancouver. That offers the most bang for a trip up here.

Some advice: if you are planning on traveling to Washington and/or Oregon in July or August, be sure to have flexible plans. Not to be a downer, but you’ll be in the middle of fire season out here. Even if your plans don’t end up being close to a fire, that smoke covers a lot of ground. Last August, I drove from Spokane to Eugene for the start of a multi-day bike tour and never left the heavy smoke. Total crap shoot on if or where there might be fires this summer.
Hmmm … everything was sounding great until this …. I did not even think about wildfire season. Maybe I need to reconsider this idea. :confused:

It isn't always Washington that is on fire, sometimes we get smoke from Canada and California. Some years it isn't bad at all...just a roll of the dice.

Hmmm … everything was sounding great until this …. I did not even think about wildfire season. Maybe I need to reconsider this idea. :confused:

While not guaranteed, late July / early August is typically before smoke season, especially west of the Cascades. You will have to forgive us locals as we’ve had some bad smoke years recently.

Weather is usually great that time of year. There is a reason why so many weddings are scheduled the last weekend of July.

I have not stayed on the San Juan Islands; but, I imagine it would be extremely nice to spend a week or so on those islands.

Worth going all the way out to Hood River OR, great views. Then you can visit Mt. Hood. More great views.

Agreed!

Also, take a drive up to Mt. Hood from Hood River. It's a beautiful drive. Just don't do it on a day the Mt. blows.

It used to be easy to drive up and have lunch up at the lodge; but, the last time I tried that it was absolutely packed and you cannot just drive right up in front of the lodge and park anymore. Research needed for best experience with that.

We always enjoyed Astoria. The first time we visited PNW, 1990 or so, we stayed at a neat B&B overlooking the river a little west of the busy downtown. Breakfast was a revelation. Hot smoked salmon that had us running to Josephsons later. Picked up some hot smoked oysters for a picnic and drove around to Canon Beach. Incredible scenery. It was 4th of July. Couldn’t believe it was 60 degrees on the Beach on 4th of July.

Oh yeah and we went crazy over the berries including our first ever Ranier cherries.

We’ve visited the PNW many many times over the years.

In 2018 I think, we flew into Seattle for a San Juan islands visit. Well the entire state was blanketed by smoke from British Columbia. From the air it was a brown sea with just a couple of volcanoes poking out. Went to Elliot’s Oyster House on the waterfront and couldn’t see the Sound at all. It was just white. Fortunately a day later winds had shifted pushing most of it out. By the time we reached Anacortes everything was sparkling clean full sunshine. We stayed in Friday Harbor and just had a blast. Ended up driving around the island many times because we kept going round to Westcott Bay Shellfish Company on Westcott Bay for fabulous shellfish raised right there. Picnic tables, grilled and raw oysters, fresh shellfish to such as clams to take home. We also drove around to Roche Harbor a couple of times - kayaking trip, a whale watching trip, both great.

Whenever we visit the PNW we gorge on seafood.

Last edited:
If in Oregon, Crater Lake.

Attachments

• IMG_790FB.jpg
    IMG_790FB.jpg
    799.5 KB · Views: 8
Guys,

Mt. St. Helens had a major landslide/flood thing and you cannot get to the Observatory anytime soon.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=66100

If you've never seen Mt. St Helens in person, I would say it is still worth a side-trip up the highway toward the mountain if you are travelling on I5 between Portland and Seattle. The viewpoints are still impressive and you just can't judge the sense of scale of the event from pictures.

Here was the driving loop we did in 2022 from the Seattle airport in month of Sept/Oct.

Mt. Rainier
Oregon coast (Seaside, Canon Beach)
Portland, OR
Columbia river drive (Multnomah falls)
Hood River
Mt. Hood (lodge near base)
Hike around Trillium lake
Bend, OR
Crater Lake (must see)
Drove back to Hood River then east to Umatilla
North thru Richland, Yakima, Ellensburg and up to Leavenworth
Cabin on the Wenatchee river
Stevens Pass
Back to Seattle

One of our best trips ever and such variable, stunning scenery!

Back
Top Bottom