Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Cars in ER
Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Block heaters?* Talking to a non-car person.* I just know when we lived in Northern IL. people used to do things to keep the engine warm throughout the night.
Small heating element permanently installed in motor block.* You plug it in to your house/motel and it keeps the block warm allowing a summer like (well almost) start in the AM.*
There also are (or once was) heated dip sticks and tank heaters which all attempted to do the say thing.* Then there's the blanket over the engine trick and yes, many people have actually built a small fire under their engine to warm it up. Not good*
Like anything "plugged in" there comes a time to unplug.* In the case of these heaters, the time is BEFORE you drive away* :

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Small heating element permanently installed in motor block.* You plug it in to your house/motel and it keeps the block warm allowing a summer like (well almost) start in the AM.*
Agree with the block heaters use.

I live in N. IL for several years and there were many times during the winter when it was so cold your door locks would not work. Had to leave the car unlocked and even then it was hard to open the door. We did not have have heater plug ins for the parking lot at work so you just had to make sure your battery was in good shape. The security group at work had several trucks that were on call to jump off the cars with weak batteries.

I don't miss that at all. I like the snow; just hate the cold that is why I am here instead of there.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
"Never buy FORD"

Isn't it funny the experiences we all have with different car companies?? I've never had any major problems with the Fords I've owned. And I put alot of miles on those cars.
Hubby had a few Fords and then decided that he wanted to try a Chevy truck. After about 3 yrs and tons of trouble he's back to a Ford again with no problems.
And now we've added a Toyota to the family fleet and are anxious to see how it holds up.
Time will tell.
KZ, I had previous Fords and liked them... I even liked the Cougar, but Ford not telling why it was having a problems was too much for me... and it cost me a LOT of money... if they had been open and gotten them fixed I would not have a problem...

I just heard that Ford trucks and SUVs from a few years ago have a problem with their doors opening in crashes... seems the springs that hold the door handles were too weak... after they found out about it they threw them away and started to use another spring.. BUT, they did not tell anyone and still say the springs 'meet federal regulations' even though doors are swinging open in minor crashes if they are hit right...

So, yes, I will continue to say do not buy a Ford as I think they are the most dishonest car company right now....
Old 10-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #64

OK block heater crowd...What happens if you don't have a plug ready for the block heater? Leave the car running all night : or just hope the things starts the next morning? Makes me wonder how long vehicles last with winters like that.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
OK block heater crowd...What happens if you don't have a plug ready for the block heater?* Leave the car running all night* : or just hope the things starts the next morning?* Makes me wonder how long vehicles last with winters like that.*
Just make sure you:
1. Don't lock your car.
2. Have your battery fully charged.
3. Have a thinner oil grade in the engine.
4. Have the correct anti-freeze water mix for the expected temp. -15 more degrees for safety.
5. Don't keep CDs or anything else in your car you don't want frozen and damaged.

You can make it without the heater plugs unless you live in the far North and western areas like N or S Dakota, Minn. Montana, WN, N. Maine etc. When the temp. falls to -30 or so (not counting windchill) the car will start but it takes a while. Much colder than that, and many will not start if kept outside too long without a blockheater. The oil turns to jello and the battery just cannot put out enough energy to get the engine moving fast enough to start it.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:37 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 1992 Lincoln Town Car with 162K miles on it as well as a special edition Miata 2001 with almost 20K on it. Never had a problem with either car.

DH just got a 2004 Toyta tundra (I think its a tundra) and its a real "cowboy cadilac". He loves it and he'll be keeping it for a number of years.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

ok ok so long as we're talking about starting you car in extreme cold, I lived in Northern Minnesota, had no engine heater (most used the heated oil dipstick) and so I brought the car battery inside each night to keep it warm and thus had plenty of cranking power to start up in the morning.
only thing was, had to sit on the rock hard, ice cold, frozen solid seat until the engine warmed up.
all that, and I still loved the far north country.
uncledrz
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
ok ok so long as we're talking about starting you car in extreme cold, I lived in Northern Minnesota, had no engine heater (most used the heated oil dipstick) and so I brought the car battery inside each night to keep it warm and thus had plenty of cranking power to start up in the morning.
only thing was, had to sit on the rock hard, ice cold, frozen solid seat until the engine warmed up.
all that, and I still loved the far north country.*
uncledrz
You sir are a masochist.

JG
Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #69

Quote:
uncledrz
I was actually a 'Professional' at this. Yes, during College in Minnesota, I worked at a service station, and used to go out on those cold winter mornings and start cars, that had their batteries ground down to zero, were flooded etc. etc.

So, I knew most all the tricks of the trade. We used to spray ether in the carburetor and got the car to run just on this highly volatile fluid for about 30 seconds. This would warm it enough to get it running on gas. Hooking up jumper cables in 30 degree below weather is not a lot of fun! You can also push them down the highway with the ignition switch on! (even Automatic Transmissions - you had to get them up to about 35-40 mph before they would kick over.

We had one old Ford Wagon, that would not start until we brought it down to the garage and let it warm up for about 3-4 hours though!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #70

CT,

No wonder you took a cruise to Alaska!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #71

Quote:
...I brought the car battery inside each night to keep it warm and thus had plenty of cranking power to start up in the morning. only thing was, had to sit on the rock hard, ice cold, frozen solid seat until the engine warmed up...
Have done that before on some of the cold Iowa nights.* Works pretty well.* But those cold leather and / or vinyl seats are a serious bummer when they're so cold they don't give any when you sit on them.... FREEZIN CHEEKS!
Old 10-24-2005, 01:16 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

From my experience, not much of anything wants to work at, say, -25F, the lowest temperature I've had the joy to endure...

<insert shivering modicom here>

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM   #73

That is why they invented seat heaters.
Start the car; turn on the defrosters (front and rear); turn on the seat heaters and mirror defrosters.

Wait 10 minutes and the car is almost toasty.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #74

Try -40 to -45 on the wind blown tundra of the Arctic. Now that is really cold! Have to keep diesels running 24/7 or they'd not start until April.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:54 AM   #75

Quote:
uncledrz
Another trick I learned in Iowa. Run a drop cord out to the car and keep a small wattage light bulb on the battery all night. The light would put out enough heat to keep the battery warm. This kept me from having to stand out in the cold in the morning hooking up the battery that I had taken into the house.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:27 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

"Another trick I learned in Iowa. Run a drop cord out to the car and keep a small wattage light bulb on the battery all night. The light would put out enough heat to keep the battery warm. This kept me from having to stand out in the cold in the morning hooking up the battery that I had taken into the house."

Now that makes me feel cold to read it. God bless Texas!

Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #77

Coldest start I ever got out of a car was a 79 Plymouth in Northern Ontario. -40 and the car was not plugged in and was nosed into the Hotel wall to keep the snow from blowing into the engine compartment. Drove all day and the side rear windows never thawed out.

Bruce
Old 10-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Guys--

I grew up in Indiana and lived in South Dakota, Ohio and Massachusetts before "getting smart" and coming to south Texas. In SD I was warned of "white outs" and told to carry an emergency kit for survival in the trunk. No one ever shut off their cars when grocery shopping--too cold. I've used electric dipstick heaters and plugged in trouble lights to keep the engine and battery warm. Hell, I've even gotten up every hour on the hour to start the car to ensure that it would turn over when I needed it. And I'll tell you what: I don't miss the cold or the snow one damned bit!!!!!!! You guys who are charter members of the polar bear club can have my share!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1
Coldest start I ever got out of a car was a 79 Plymouth in Northern Ontario. -40 and the car was not plugged in and was* nosed into the Hotel wall to keep the snow from blowing into the engine compartment. Drove all day and the side rear windows never thawed out.

Bruce
Lord have mercy! And I thought it was cool this morning when I let my dog out.(34 degrees) I need a hot cup of coffee on that note.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been told that bush pilots in the far north empty their aircraft's oil in a bucket at the end of the day and bring it inside (also told some put the oil in a double boiler to keep it warm overnight -- not sure of that one). In the morning they'd replace the oil, the heat would seep in to the rest of the engine and the aircraft would be started.

Way too cold for me!