Cars in ER

"Another trick I learned in Iowa. Run a drop cord out to the car and keep a small wattage light bulb on the battery all night. The light would put out enough heat to keep the battery warm. This kept me from having to stand out in the cold in the morning hooking up the battery that I had taken into the house."

Now that makes me feel cold to read it. God bless Texas!

Coldest start I ever got out of a car was a 79 Plymouth in Northern Ontario. -40 and the car was not plugged in and was nosed into the Hotel wall to keep the snow from blowing into the engine compartment. Drove all day and the side rear windows never thawed out.

Bruce

Hi Guys--

I grew up in Indiana and lived in South Dakota, Ohio and Massachusetts before "getting smart" and coming to south Texas. In SD I was warned of "white outs" and told to carry an emergency kit for survival in the trunk. No one ever shut off their cars when grocery shopping--too cold. I've used electric dipstick heaters and plugged in trouble lights to keep the engine and battery warm. Hell, I've even gotten up every hour on the hour to start the car to ensure that it would turn over when I needed it. And I'll tell you what: I don't miss the cold or the snow one damned bit!!!!!!! You guys who are charter members of the polar bear club can have my share!!!!!

bruce1 said:
Coldest start I ever got out of a car was a 79 Plymouth in Northern Ontario. -40 and the car was not plugged in and was  nosed into the Hotel wall to keep the snow from blowing into the engine compartment. Drove all day and the side rear windows never thawed out.

Bruce
Lord have mercy! And I thought it was cool this morning when I let my dog out.(34 degrees) I need a hot cup of coffee on that note. :)

I've been told that bush pilots in the far north empty their aircraft's oil in a bucket at the end of the day and bring it inside (also told some put the oil in a double boiler to keep it warm overnight -- not sure of that one). In the morning they'd replace the oil, the heat would seep in to the rest of the engine and the aircraft would be started.

Way too cold for me!

You guys are making the cold start problem way too hard.

Just get a Sears Die-Hard battery.

Didn't you see their ad on TV ? ;)

Have Funds said:
Or, RE, and stay home near the fire... 8)
Had our first fire last night. Can hardly wait for the real cold and some snow to come! We had 5-6 inches of rain couple weeks ago - think how much snow that would be! :)

I'm in South Minnesota so much milder here. :D
Never had to use plugs or get exotic with car care. Not a problem as long as the cars are garaged, not left out to long when out and about and batterys not old.
I'm not trying to encourage anyone to live here - you really have to be a special person to survive and thrive here...

DanTien said:
Can hardly wait for the real cold and some snow to come!
I think I understand how you feel. We've turned off most of the ceiling fans, we've been closing our windows at night (I need to clean out the tracks again), we put a Vellux blanket on the bed, and I've started wearing short-sleeve t-shirts instead of tank tops. The bunny is growing his winter coat, too.

Next month I'll probably have to start wearing socks.

Our kid wants to learn everything there is to know about driving, because in less than a thousand days she'll be eligible for a learner's permit. So yesterday she asked about a switch on the dashboard that she's never seen us use... the rear window defroster. It's probably the first time it's been used on our 12-year-old car. I didn't even know where to look for the indicator light.

Professor said:
Hi Guys--

In SD I was warned of "white outs" and told to carry an emergency kit for survival in the trunk. 

To this day I still have a blanket, candle, waterproof matches and a large can (to put the candle in) in the trunk. You learn never to leave the car when its that cold, just wait for help.

OTOH, during the nice months, over by Red Lake, caught some of the sweetest tasting walleye I have ever had in my life.

Trade offs.

Uncledrz

Back
Top Bottom