Cast Iron Pots/Skillets: Cleaning?

Hmm, W2R, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your priorities......
:2funny: Maybe so! With any luck I won't have to watch my weight quite so closely once I am ER'd, and can lead a more active life than just sitting in a cubicle all day long. :angel:
Intersting that it doesn't seem to have bothered their arteries much.

Now I'm off to the kitchen to fry some bacon. :)

Ha
Oh pooh! :duh: You lucky man. Enjoy! ;) I expect my cholesterol might drop too, once I am ER'd. We shall see.

I haven't had bacon in my refrigerator for at least 10 years, despite the fact that I am crazy about bacon.

Hmm, W2R, maybe it's time to re-evaluate your priorities......

W2R, there may be a possible problem in your future. I believe there's a law on the books in the great state of Missouri that requires the use and consumption of bacon! :D

Since old habits are hard to break, all of my relatives on my Dad's side of the family that either live in or have lived in MO, use bacon very religiously in meal preparation. BTW, almost all of them have lived fairly long lives.......mid to late 70's, all the way up to the late 90's. And not even one of them ever died from clogged arteries or other related diseases! I think it has something to do with the bacon grease lubing the inside of the arteries and veins to keep the blood slidin' right on through. :rolleyes:

W2R, there may be a possible problem in your future. I believe there's a law on the books in the great state of Missouri that requires the use and consumption of bacon! :D

Now that's MY kind of state!! :LOL:

I think it has something to do with the bacon grease lubing the inside of the arteries and veins to keep the blood slidin' right on through. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... sounds good to me! Not too logical, but good... :cool:

I don't eat much bacon, and certainly don't claim it's a "health food", but I'd bet it's at least as healthy as a donut..

And with that, I am pleased to present once again....the bacon maple bar...

img_646603_0_f27a1b23670e5b96986a2f72e0ead76a.jpg

I don't eat much bacon, and certainly don't claim it's a "health food", but I'd bet it's at least as healthy as a donut..
I don't eat much of either, since I don't regard either as being very healthy. I must admit that if I found out I was dying in a month I'd buy out Krispy Kreme and then start frying up that bacon while working my way through the donuts...

Since old habits are hard to break, all of my relatives on my Dad's side of the family that either live in or have lived in MO, use bacon very religiously in meal preparation. BTW, almost all of them have lived fairly long lives.......mid to late 70's, all the way up to the late 90's. And not even one of them ever died from clogged arteries or other related diseases! I think it has something to do with the bacon grease lubing the inside of the arteries and veins to keep the blood slidin' right on through. :rolleyes:

Bacon! Bacon! Homemade bacon cheeseburgers the other night.

Good thing thing the curtains were down - teflon pan NOT cast iron.

I'd better get a grip and watch that sort of thing. Bacon without cast iron - a no no in MO - I've got more to learn.

heh heh heh

Bacon! Bacon! Homemade bacon cheeseburgers the other night.

Good thing thing the curtains were down - teflon pan NOT cast iron.

I'd better get a grip and watch that sort of thing. Bacon without cast iron - a no no in MO - I've got more to learn.

heh heh heh
From where I sit that sounds like a Cheeseburger in Paradise.... :)

I was just at the gym and they have the food channel going constantly(What are they thinking ) . The chef was making a bread pudding using day old doughnuts. Yuck ! Even while sweating my a-- off that did not appeal to me .

You may want to research this further. Unless you have a "commercial" grade stove, it will be pretty hard to cook with "too high heat."

The burners on my stove are only 8,000 BTU's/hr with propane. That can be inconvenient. Why don't non-commercial stoves give more heat?

Why don't non-commercial stoves give more heat?

My first guess would be that it is a cost-cutting issue for competitive advantage; a commercial grade stove is very expensive -- 3 or 4 times more. More importantly, most people wouldn't know what to do with all that heat anyway. Therefore, that is much less important than, for example, a lower cost self-cleaning oven... or pretty knobs.

That and a commercial-grade stove is generally much larger and heavier. Kitchens in most (non-McMansion) homes are too small for that type of equipment.

It is a good question though. Perhaps someone knows the real reason.

I've got two burners on mine that do 12,500. Pretty sure you'd need a bigger gas line to go into one of the commercial jobs. A half inch line might not cut it.

As far as I remember, cast iron actually likes high heat, as long as there is enough oil in the food being cooked.

When we designed our home, we put in an area for an outdoor kitchen in a screen room. Its not finished yet, but we plan to put in a couple of "Camp Chef" type stoves. I'm thinking one with a couple of 60k BTU burners, and one with 30k BTU burners. I'm going to install those on top of a stainless steel table, and that is where we will do our canning (if I can get DW to learn how with me). We are going to be planting a few fruit trees and would like to "put up" what we don't eat fresh. AND, I can use my dutch ovens out there to cook up a bunch of goodies when we have the crowd over for a meal.

R

I'm pleased to report that I cooked salmon in butter for breakfast this a.m. (shut up..it's the Atkins diet), cooked on 5 instead of blasting the salmon on level 9 like I usually do which is the highest heat on the electric stove, and it came out great. No sticking! Going to wash it up with just water and a scrubbie, and it is good to go. Thanks for the help!:D

Best salmon prep is planking. You use a cedar plank about 1/4" thick and about 18-12" long. You can often buy these specially made for cooking on, but any untreated smooth cedar is acceptable. Make sure you arent buying cedar treated for building purposes.

Rub or marinade or just go plain. Soak the plank in water for at least a few hours or overnight. Slap it on the plank and throw it on the grill and leave it alone until the salmon is done to your liking. The moisture in the plank will keep the fish moist, the plank will dry out on the bottom and smoke, adding a nice little smoky flavor. Use a spray bottle with water in it to put it out if it catches fire.

Slip the fish, plank and all, onto a large cookie sheet and serve directly from the plank for a fancy presentation. A cooking implement AND a cutting board!

You can do it in the oven, but it wont smoke. Which is sort of a good thing.

My first guess would be that it is a cost-cutting issue for competitive advantage
Right, but I would have thought that it wouldn't be any cheaper to make smaller holes in the burners. I guess it's more complicated than that. The gas pipe is big enough for a big fire in the oven burners, so there should be enough oomph for the top burners too.

Cedar Planked salmon -- I never got good smoked taste with this method. If you want to put on a good show, then the way to cook the salmon is in the dishwasher.

Back
Top Bottom