Join Early Retirement Today

Cheap computer deal through 8/15 - new deal!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cheap computer deal through 8/15 - new deal!

Go here
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

See last post...the 2400 is back with a cd burner and another thirty bucks off! This however includes no monitor...but most people already have one.

You might want the $20 memory upgrade to 256MB and you might need to add the $40 modem option (rather than the $20 one).

If you have no speakers to use, you might add in a set of those as well.

As configured, $470 out the door, free shipping, $150 rebate brings it to $350.

This is through Dell Small Business. This is not any kind of problem, they'll ask you for a business name, make one up like 'TH Consultants" or whatever floats your boat.

As a small biz setup, there will also be less 'crapware' on the machine.

This is a LOT of machine for the money.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Cheap computer deal through 8/11
Old 08-07-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Go here

You might want the $20 memory upgrade to 256MB and you might need to add the $40 modem option (rather than the $20 one).

If you have no speakers to use, you might add in a set of those as well.

As configured, $450 out the door, free shipping, $100 rebate brings it to $350.

This is through Dell Small Business. *This is not any kind of problem, they'll ask you for a business name, make one up like 'TH Consultants" or whatever floats your boat.

As a small biz setup, there will also be less 'crapware' on the machine.

This is a LOT of machine for the money.
TH,

This looks like a terrific deal. I also need to add Microsoft Office and am wondering if you have looked at the Microsoft Office Small Business 2003 that is offered for $229 with this package. Is that the best price you have come across for the Office software?

Dante
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

TH, your timing was perfect. I have a nephew's old system which needs a new power supply (and who knows what else) and it's sitting on my dining room table. I was about to dig into it. I called him and he decided to order this Dell instead. It saved me an afternoon of work. Plus, now I get to keep his old monitor and return the one I just bought for my daughter's system (just arrived yesterday) and that saved me about $130.

By the way, the business requirement is truly no big deal. I just entered a name and they required nothing else. By the way, this system does include a 17" monitor - it's not pictured but you'll see it's included when you dig into the details. It includes XP, a mouse and a KB. The only thing we added was another 128MB of RAM for $20. Thanks again TH!
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Good deal. We'll probably pick one up tomorrow. How did you find out about it?
Old 08-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #5

TH,

This is a Fricken Steal! - I almost bought one and I don't even need it! -- No wonder the computer business is going in the crapper in the U.S.A.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I found it on fatwallet.com. Theres a Dell deal every other week. Except for some small biz server deals that dont include XP, this is one of the better deals. I think Dell is phasing out the 2400's for a new series.

Pretty kick butt machine, and even if you trick it out with the 256MB ram and a DVD drive and/or a cd-writer, its a good deal.

Dante - $229 is a fair price for office 2003 small business if thats what you need instead of the $125 regular office suite. What you want to do is buy any accessories or s/w along with the machine, as you usually get a pretty good deal from Dell on accessories.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

By the way, this deal was good through 8/11, but they just changed it to good through 8/8, so buy now or wait for the next deal!
Re: Cheap computer deal through 8/08 <- date chang
Old 08-07-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like a great deal if you need a desktop. * I haven't used a desktop for something like 10 years now. * I even bought one a couple of years thinking I would use it and never did. * Laptops are just so much better for the way I work that I consider desktops as obsolete dinosaurs. * If you use a computer daily, you want the computer to go where you go, not vice versa.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Interesting - rather than tossing a desktop in the back of the truck next hurricane evacuation, what's a good laptop. And what has the price curve for them been recently. What would be considered 'minmum' capability nowadays - that ought to vary widely, heh, heh. ?? wireless/internet capable??. Memory size. CD or other extra's?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #10

unclemick,

I have both a laptop and a desktop. I find both usefull! -- I have them networked together. The desktop is my 'main' system, has more stuff on it. The Printer, DVD Burner, Scanner etc.

If I wanted to upgrade my desktop, I'd snap up this deal from Dell in a heartbeat!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First, some caveats: laptops tend to be more expensive, more fragile, and less upgradable than desktops. So, if any of those factors are hot-button issues with you, stick with the desktop.

Prices for new laptops range from about $600 on up for fully featured models like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3163026

There are two primary subclasses: fully-featured "desktop replacements" (6+ lbs) and lighter more portable laptops (around 3 lbs).

Our family has a few of each. My wife and I each have a laptop on our bed side table, we have another downstairs parked by the recliner, and I have another that I use when I travel.

I'm partial to IBM Thinkpads, but I also have good luck with Toshibas. A lot of people like Dells. It comes down to personal preference since you have to love the built-in keyboard, pointer, and display for whatever model you choose.

Minimum features are a TFT display, good battery life, and as much RAM and disk as you want. All laptops these days have USB and PCMCIA ports, so adding peripherals is no big deal. But if you plan to use it on a wireless network (I do), then built-in WiFi will save you a PCMCIA slot. Consider getting a built-in DVD drive if you watch DVDs since your laptop can then double as a portable DVD player on trips.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

They definitely both have a range of uses. And I use both!

From a pricing perspective, quality for quality and performance for performance you're looking at a 2.5 to 4:1 price difference, laptop to desktop. When you pay more for a laptop, you're usually getting slimness, lighter weight and better battery life. For a non-travelling user, theres not a lot of reason to pay more than $600-700 for a laptop. This Dell is a 'better' quality desktop construction...the ECS walmart notebook isnt bad for a low cost machine, but it doesnt have the processing power or the expandability/connectivity of a desktop and its from a less well known maker of motherboards.

As Cut-Throat mentions, I have mine hooked to much stuff...a very good 2.1 speaker system on the desk and a 5.1 system via an optical 5.1 add-in card. The secondary video output goes to my Infocus home theater projector. I have a scanner and two printers (laser and photo), plus a wireless keyboard and a range of pointing devices I change between to reduce repetitive stress problems.

I'd also be observant of heat problems on laptops with the faster CPU's. There are enough issues with desktop cooling to make the chip makers rethink their future product lines with regards to speed.

I do see pretty good deals on lappies every once in a while, usually in the $500-600 range for toshiba's, Dell's and occasionally IBM's. I am very disappointed in the build quality of HP/Compaq laptops lately. I 'retired' two Dell, two toshiba, and one IBM notebook with just one hard drive replaced in the IBM and no other repairs. Thats when I was travelling and beating the units up pretty good.

I've found with a lappie that I usually go through a hard drive every year, probably from movement/shock while using it. The HP I bought a year and a half ago at a screaming bargain price has been back in to HP twice now for disk drive, cd drive, motherboard, video card and mouse repairs. As it stands right now its barely out of warranty, the mouse doesnt work again, the secondary video out has ALWAYS been squirrely, and I'm getting some clicking from the hard drive again.

Usage models and ergonomics are also worth considering. When I was using a laptop 100% of the time I often ended up lying on a couch, flopped down in a chair outside or even sprawled out in bed on a rainy morning. Lets set aside the laziness factor, the ergonomics are terrible. Standard laptop keyboards and mice are also prone to creating RSI due to limited size and proximity of the pointing device.

But theres nothing better (uhh...from a computing perspective) than enjoying a nice morning outside with a cup of coffee and your laptop.

I would suggest a nice solid desktop in conjunction with "last years model" laptop, with the laptop having a slower cpu, less memory (and overall less heat production) destined for mobile browsing and email. My most used laptop is a 3 year old toshiba with a celeron 700 and 256MB of memory, with a cisco wireless card. Its plenty fast enough for browsing/email, cool on the lap, and hasnt given me any problems.

For about $900, which was a bargain for a good desktop machine a few years ago, you can have the best of both worlds!

By the way, Dell appears to be offering a full 2 year warranty on this box, which is excellent. Unless you're operating it in a hot environment, or like to kick the system unit or shake it around when its in use, if it makes it through a full two years its likely to continue clunking along for a long time.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

*%&$#@* - I guess I missed the deal...
Lightning fried my 6-year old computer and I've decided to trash it and get something new....

Please post again if you happen to see another great dirt-cheap deal like that!!

Adventuregirl
Old 08-09-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

All is not quite lost...

Click the same link above. The current hot deal is a dimension 4600 2.8GHz with 512MB ram for $450 without a monitor. A better chassis and power supply, and more memory. If you were going to bump the prior hot deal up to 512MB that was going to get you close to $450 anyhow. About the only thing you're out is a monitor and your old one is probably still ok?

Might be worthwhile to check out the clearance/refurb center. These are most usually ordered and built machines that had their orders cancelled or were bought and returned. I've bought a couple of dell refurbs and have been satisfied with them.

I see a couple of machines without monitors for ~$300-350.

Add a surge protector!!!

This deal is good until 8/11
Re: Cheap computer deal through 8/11 - new deal!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

And a decent laptop deal, also from Dell - $699 after rebate

Celeron 2.2 (dont 'fear the celeron', the 'core' this processor is built on is a pretty good one and it has 256K l2 cache instead of the desktop celerons 128, and it runs cooler than the mobile p4), 256MB ram, combo CD/RW & DVD drive, 30GB disk, modem and network built in.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info! I hadn't even considered a laptop, always thought they would be way too expensive......If you guys hear a loud cre-e-e-ak, that would be the sound of my wallet opening....

Adventuregirl
Old 08-10-2004, 06:21 AM   #17

Thanks a lot for the heads-up, TH.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

S'alright!

This latest desktop deal that expires tomorrow is looking better and better to me, alas I build my own machines.

Four times the memory of the 2400 machine and a real nice video card for a hundred bucks extra is a decent tradeoff.

I think the motherboard in the 4600 also supports serial ATA drives.

I like the company name one guy used "Hampster Prosthetics"...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:35 AM   #19

Quote:
I like the company name one guy used "Hampster Prosthetics"...
Well, let's not forget that Hampsters have the right to lead a fulfilling life, too.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, if somebody didn't fix up the little guys how would they keep powering all the Hyundais out there on the road?

Adventuregirl