Cheap computer deal through 8/15 - new deal!

I often tell people to buy last year's model since you're always on the bleeding edge of obsolesence with any computer purchase.

Believe it or not! I ran a study that showed that this is a false economy, but moreso in business. It was a real study, not a fiddled with one. Trust me ;)

By buying the top cpu system and its usual accoutrements (which is usually a better video card, more memory, larger hard drive, etc), you can add as much as a year to the useful lifespan of the machine. People who bought topcpu usually kept the machine in service for an average of four years without upgrades/replacement. Those that bought topcpu-1 or lower usually upgraded or replaced after slightly less than 3 years. The cost of the upgrades/replacements? More than the savings margin on the original system. And you get to enjoy the "better" system for the full four years rather than a lesser machine for 3. Customers also reported a very high rate of problems and dissatisfaction during upgrades/replacement which the four year system buyer avoided.

I dont recall exactly the numbers for home machines as I had most of my focus on the business product lines...but they yielded similar results and were a year or two higher on both topcpu and topcpu-1 analyses.

Of course, that was in the days where each new processor had a 10-20% step up in speed over the last one. If I was buying a machine today, except for someone wanting to play first person shooters I'd buy the least expensive thing I could get my hands on from a reputable vendor. Warranty, packaging, quietness, reliability, and features/ports/extras are about the most important things right now. Even a 2GHz northwood based celeron is more than good enough excluding twitch games, dvd editing and video conversion work. Most modern systems include enough disk, memory and a plenty good enough graphics card.

In this light I like recommending Dell...they often offer 3 year warranties, their systems are rated fairly high in reliability, their service is usually in the top 2 or 3, and their machines are very quiet compared to a lot of other top brands.

If you want to go cheap, and I mean UncleMick cheap, look on ebay for an HP vectra VL400 tower (not desktop) in the 1GHz+ range. One of the best machines ever made. You can use the case for a jackstand, you can work on it without any tools, strong quiet power supply, decent no-frills motherboard, and the tualatin pentium III's and Pentium IIIE's in most of these boxes are faster than a p4 up to 2GHz and a lot cooler running. Probably net a low mileage one for ~75-80.

Speaking of computers and saving $$$, does anyone know when the BEST TIME to buy a computer is? I mean, taking newer models and all that into account.

I know the consumer rule of thumb when buying an automobilie (not that I would ever buy new) is to buy at the end of the month, especially in winter months (for quota purposes).

Any sort of rule/logic apply to PCs/laptops?

There IS a bit of a push during the hollidays but you're better off watching for specials and deals on sites like fatwallet and grabbing the one that works for you.

The original link in this thread takes you to the weekly dell deals, and except for certain special purchasers, those are as good a machine at as good a price as you're probably going to find.

There's been speculation that Dell had a blow-out sale in October because their fiscal quarter ended 10/31 and they haven't been selling much this year.    Check out this graph of their page views over the last 2 years for an indication of their sales trend and how the October blow-out impacted their numbers:

graph

Several years ago, PC components--especially memory--would predictably increase in price from September through Christmas, but I'm not aware of any modern patterns. The consumer and business workstation end is too commodity and somebody big got busted a couple of years ago for price fixing. At the moment retailers seem to be pretty desperate and as far as I can tell offer the best deals during holiday weekends and other peak shopping times to try to make their volume look better while sacrificing profit.

Some great notebook prices this week...

check out
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_notebooks?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

You can get a heck of a good basic notebook for <$550. If you want to pay a bit more, check out the dell home (instead of business) site for the same lappie with a free wireless card and printer for <$600.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=i1000B1&s=dhs

Prices good until 11/28. These deals are fire sales to get rid of old mobile laptop sku's before changing everything over to centrino based laptops. Centrino's are good stuff, but these are really nice deals in the here and now.

Hope your turkey turns out...

Back
Top Bottom