Chinese A-sat Weapon? Something New To Worry About

I think 1.7 billion of them is more the problem and worry!

Although more of a "policy weapon" at this time, the test shows that the Chinese military can threaten the imaging reconnaissance satellites operated by the U. S., Japan, Russia, Israel and Europe.

Interesting ... thanks, grumpy.

China is a challenge ... very large population, increasingly well educated, and growing so rapidly in capabilities and power. Close engagement in business and diplomacy will be key.

Not to mention that they have been a civilized nation for 5000 years. they do have a bit of distain for us uncivilized barbarions.

USK Coastie said:
Not to mention that they have been a civilized nation for 5000 years. they do have a bit of distain for us uncivilized barbarions.

yeah, it's gotta suck when another nation becomes the most powerful in less than 200 years.......... ;)

Eh, the Mongolian Empire became more powerful in less than 20 years, for a time. The Chinese have learned to be patient. ;)

Close dialougue, definitely the key. I object to a lot of what they do, but the country is certianly more livable for the average person that it was 40 years ago. While grinding down the USSR worked, it left a power vacume filled with mafiosos and corruption, and now Russia is turning right back into a dictatorship/oligarchy. Meanwhile average life span in Russia has dropped ten years. Let's see if the slow and steady path China is taking works better.

I think it was already a bad idea to get into a war with China. Taking out a satellite has got to be nearly as expensive as placing one, though.

I'm the farthest thing from a war / diplomacy expert, but I wonder if they could take out a satellite or two without sparking off a war. It could be an interesting if infuriating negotiation tactic.

I presume the U.S. has this technical ability to do the same, but do we have an existing weapon implemented to do it?

BigMoneyJim said:
I presume the U.S. has this technical ability to do the same, but do we have an existing weapon implemented to do it?

Only if we have a plan to avoid angering all our Chinese physicists and engineers who would be needed to pull of the project.

Ha

BigMoneyJim said:

The Chinese probably know whether or not we do. Its just us poor US citizens that don't know. Gotta love the Defense Dept.'s secrecy.

Grumpy

Yes, the US has an antisatellite missile (for about 20 years now). And since a US spy satellite (KH-11/12) costs over $1 billion, taking it out with a (say) $10 million dollar missile is a good investment for our enemies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_missile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KH-12

Things that were once very very hard become just very hard, then just hard, and eventually relatively easy. In other words, the Red Queen's race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen%27s_Race

Back
Top Bottom