New Cookie Showed up on my computer. Googled it. No info.

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just connected my pc to the internet a few days ago. I just noticed a new cookie in mt temporary internet files. It is 'anyuser@google.com'. I tried to find any info on it by googling it, and got zero info about it. How can there be zero info ? I want to delete it, but am afraid deleting it will screw something up too. The date of creation for it is 12/24/2023, and my computer still works, so I guess it is OK, but am worrying about it. Thanks.

A don’t know but if that cookie is the thing that causes my computer to keep asking me to sign into my Google account, please nuke bake into oblivion.

A don’t know but if that cookie is the thing that causes my computer to keep asking me to sign into my Google account, please nuke bake into oblivion.

Well, I just deleted it. Not messing around!

Your lack of a router means third parties might be accessing your computer. I'd now avoid doing anything valuable, like financial transactions, with that device.

I just attempted to get some info on it by typing it into duckduckgo search engine.
This immediately popped up:

You are about to log in to the site “google.com” with the username “anyuser”, but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.

Is “google.com” the site you want to visit?

I clicked "NO"

Your lack of a router means third parties might be accessing your computer. I'd now avoid doing anything valuable, like financial transactions, with that device.

I have heard yes and no about whether a router protects you from anything. Does it have antivirus software loaded? I have heard it has a 'firewall' that can somehow prevent the bad guys from getting through, and only let the good guys in. How? My cable internet provider tells me the router doesn't protect me from anything, lol. I value your input, GrayHare.

I just attempted to get some info on it by typing it into duckduckgo search engine.
This immediately popped up:

You are about to log in to the site “google.com” with the username “anyuser”, but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.

Is “google.com” the site you want to visit?

I clicked "NO"

Thanks ! Well, I deleted the 'anyuser' cookie from my temporary internet files, and rebooted, and everything still works. Will check to see what makes it reappear. Getting paranoid, may have to install antivirus and/or router, but apparently nothing provides much more protection than the ISP itself keeping bad things out (from my research).

By default, a router denies connection requests that initiate from outside (i.e. from elsewhere on the Internet). Without a router to protect you, anyone on the internet with a little know how, and your IP address, can connect to your device without you realizing, and then do lots of things to and with it. More recent versions of operating systems can block many incoming connection requests, but only if the operating system has been configured to do so. Even then, hackers know ways around operating system blocks. Hackers, however, cannot get through a hardware router without modifying the hardware, which would require their physical presence at the router, or maybe working at the NSA.

Last edited:
With a router in place, cookies can't initiate from the outside, they form only after your computer makes a request. One can connect a computer directly to a broadband modem, though doing so is generally considered a security hazard.

Last edited:
How does one connect to the internet with no router?

You connect to the internet with a modem. A router takes the signal and “routes” it to other equipment. If you only have one computer and don’t want wifi, you can connect directly to your modem. Most cable companies put a modem/router combo unit in your house.

I have my browsers set to delete all cookies each time they are shut down. The side effect of this is I have to re-login to sites because their login cookies are gone. But it seems to break the trails of my activities and, hopefully, make life more difficult for sites trying to track me.

A router knows nothing about cookies and cookies know nothing about routers. To a router a cookie is just a piece of data passing through. Cookies know nothing about anything except the IP address of their mother ship.

Routers can, but don't always, contain firewalls, which do have the ability to block messages based on their declared content, aka IP port number. Stand-alone firewalls exist, too, but they seem to be less common these days. Firewalls are a totally different discussion.

I have my browsers set to delete all cookies each time they are shut down. The side effect of this is I have to re-login to sites because their login cookies are gone...

Usually there will be a way to "exclude" sites (like this one) where you want to retain the logon information.

There is also usually a way to save your ID and password in the browser, and have that plug it in when you click (or right click) on those fields.

Usually there will be a way to "exclude" sites (like this one) where you want to retain the logon information.
Yes. I fiddled around with this quite some time back. IIRC I can retain cookies by site but have to retain anything the site chooses to leave. I think that's why I decided not to use this feature.

There is also usually a way to save your ID and password in the browser, and have that plug it in when you click (or right click) on those fields.
I do use memorized credentials except on critical sites like financial institutions. On this one, for example.

You connect to the internet with a modem. A router takes the signal and “routes” it to other equipment. If you only have one computer and don’t want wifi, you can connect directly to your modem. Most cable companies put a modem/router combo unit in your house.

Yep, I didn't think this through. I bet no provider offers a modem w/o a router, but you could supply your own w/o a router. I would never.

I would accept cookies before I let google chrome manage may passwords.

My view is that 95% of my passwords and UIDs are unimportant, not worth stealing and, if stolen, not of concern to me. It is only the important (financial, really) credentials that I am careful with.

Routers can, but don't always, contain firewalls, which do have the ability to block messages based on their declared content, aka IP port number. Stand-alone firewalls exist, too, but they seem to be less common these days. Firewalls are a totally different discussion.

Routers are the most common way for ordinary people to have a firewall, so I think saying a person should get a router to have a firewall is correct. You would not have to say that to a person that had the ability to set up a firewall without a router.

I would never buy a router without a firewall, and I make sure it's turned on in the router.

I have heard yes and no about whether a router protects you from anything. Does it have antivirus software loaded? I have heard it has a 'firewall' that can somehow prevent the bad guys from getting through, and only let the good guys in. How? My cable internet provider tells me the router doesn't protect me from anything, lol. I value your input, GrayHare.

You need a router and it needs to have a firewall (most do, and say so).

The cable internet person is an idiot and does not care about you. They are correct only in the sense that you can connect to their modem and access the internet without a router (while bad guys can access your computer every second it is on and you won't know).

Big discussion here, but..

1) Yes, you need some kind of router+firewall and it really doesn't matter what kind these days.

2) Nearly everything you do is encrypted these days. HTTPS gives you end to end encryption. Checking your bank account from Starbucks is totally safe. No one outside of the organization you're connected to can decode any of the transmitted/received information. If you hit a site that is not HTTPS be very careful, zero personal information.

3) Don't go to places you have no business going to and you won't have any issues whatsoever. Free Malwarebytes is great to protect you from accidently clicking on the wrong site.

4) Throughout this discussion no one has mentioned the #1 way people get compromised. THEY GIVE THEIR INFORMATION OUT! Either through phishing scams or similar. Email and texting is NOT secure. Messages sit on multiple servers where nefarious employees can search through them. Don't email or text passwords.

5) Unfortunately, the 2nd most common way to be compromised is by the organization that has your data on file through breeches. I bet I've received the "we've been hacked" letter 20 times in the last 20 years, but I've not had a virus on my pc or been compromised in that timeframe. It just doesn't happen if you have minimal protection and are careful.

6) Try to avoid freeware, but I use a bunch of it. Before installing software thoroughly research it. Try do download it directly from the developer. Most freeware will ask you if you want to install additional 'stuff'. Don't. Here's where a good, free virus scanner is fine. I've used free Avast for years.

I don't know everything, but I have a security+ certification. Not easy or fun to obtain. Go back and read #4 again.

Regarding antivirus software: I currently have free AVG that I could install. Would that be just as good as Malwarebytes or Avast ? I assume any antivirus will slow things down bit, of course.

Regarding antivirus software: I currently have free AVG that I could install. Would that be just as good as Malwarebytes or Avast ? I assume any antivirus will slow things down bit, of course.

Malwarebytes seems to do a better job of blocking potentially infected sites. I do a lot of research and Malwarebytes warns me. Sometimes it give false positives. User beware. Avast is a better scanner of software. I use both and that's all I have used for 20ish years.

Google says -> "Malware is a catch-all term for any type of malicious software, regardless of how it works, its intent, or how it's distributed. A virus is a specific type of malware that self-replicates by inserting its code into other programs."

Good article -> https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/software/malwarebytes-vs-avast/

There are other browsers. But, as long as you don't log on to Chrome with your Google account (or similarly for other browsers) the passwords are stored locally. And you have the option to decide which ones are stored. Which brings us to...

My view is that 95% of my passwords and UIDs are unimportant, not worth stealing and, if stolen, not of concern to me. It is only the important (financial, really) credentials that I am careful with.

Exactly! The thing is, hackers know this, too. They're not after that 95% of passwords.

4) Throughout this discussion no one has mentioned the #1 way people get compromised. THEY GIVE THEIR INFORMATION OUT! Either through phishing scams or similar...

All your points were very good, but this one bears repeating.

A related issue is more about privacy than security. I suspect the #1 way your privacy is compromised is other people. Friends and family who are too quick to click "share this with a friend" or to "tag" you in a photo or any of the other ways companies trick them into sharing your personal information.

Back
Top Bottom