Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

Forced charity to the amount of $120 a year would make me move. I do let my coop round up my bill to the nearest dollar amount, for those that need assistance $6.71 in 2012, and I can write it off.
If I didn't already live where I want to live, I might consider it. However, enough things are good here that I can't let $120/year chase me out, especially if I can figure out how to 1) get it removed from the bill or 2) write it off.

Anyway, no matter where I go in our beautiful country, one way or another, I am paying "forced charity" via income taxes, right?

It's the price I pay for where I want to live.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
If I didn't already live where I want to live, I might consider it.

Anyway, no matter where I go in our beautiful country, one way or another, I am paying "forced charity" via income taxes, right?

It's the price I pay for where I want to live.
Federal tax, yes, but not always the state tax, and not at the rate the beautiful people in CA are paying. But like you say, sometimes you have to pay for the good things in life. Whether everything in CA is good may be open to discussion.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #23

Our record-high natural gas bill was $300 for one month but that was during an unusually long very cold spell about five years ago. This time of year we budget $200-$250 for heating/hot water. The house is a 1,700 sf rambler with full basement.

And yes, I wanna go live where they have to run the A/C in February!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #24

I would never claim everything ANYWHERE is all good! I would only say that from what I have seen and where I have been so far, this is my choice.

The taxes do not seem that bad to me, at the top of the 15% bracket, but then I have owned my home for 30 years so have lower prop taxes.

Combined 2012 state and prop tax around 3k.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I would never claim everything ANYWHERE is all good! I would only say that from what I have seen and where I have been so far, this is my choice.

The taxes do not seem that bad to me, at the top of the 15% bracket, but then I have owned my home for 30 years so have lower prop taxes.

Combined 2012 state and prop tax around 3k.
This is exactly why the Public Purpose Program Surcharge, like Sales Tax , is unfair, because it hit harder at lower middle class wage earners or those in retirement. The beautiful people whose annual income put them at the over 10% CA state income rate will just shrug. Maybe you can console yourself to be a good keeper of your brothers and sisters.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Electricity...
Have you checked your KWH charge? In our town, the basic cost is $.0675... whereas at our camp, (CommonWealth Edison) the charge is $.14... more than twice as much.
It was one of the factors that helped make our retirement location decision, along with the rest of the city operated services... Waste, water, sewer, all of which are similarly low. (A Unitary City) In addition, gas prices average about $.10 to $.15 less a gallon. Coupled with a house tax rate of 40% less than our previous home, the difference of 85 miles from our previous Chicago Suburbs, certainly helped in our overall costs.
Our Natural Gas Prices are also lower, thank goodness, because when we're up north, we keep our home at 73 degrees.