College Football Championship

Being from Texas I am disappointed in the decision....

First, the TCU/Baylor game could have gone either way... it was decided by 3 points... sure, Baylor won, but I would rank it as a tie....
Baylor lost bad to a team that TCU beat... so I thought that putting them ahead was OK.. IOW, TCU lost to a top 5 ranked team, none of the other 1 loss teams can say that.... if they lost, they lost to a much 'weaker' team...

Even thought Florida State was unbeaten, I do not see them as one of the best 4 teams.... looking at the stats and how dominant teams are, TCU and Baylor look better than Florida State....

Ohio State played 3 ranked teams.... and their loss was to a 6-6 team... their last win was pretty impressive, but I would have put TCU and Baylor ahead of them.... (as a note, Baylor lost to a 7-5 team and TCU to an 11-1 team.... TCU played 5 ranked teams... Baylor 3)...

Baylor, TCU and Oregon have the top 3 offenses with Ohio State in 4th..... Alabama has one of the best defenses.... Florida State is not even close....

So, I agree with Alabama and Oregon.... I can see Ohio State, but barely....(I would have chosen TCU or Baylor).... but Florida State should not be there even though they were undefeated... Marshall is an 11-1 team and they were not even in the running.... because they are not one of the best teams....

BTW, I would like to see more teams in the playoffs, but all that would do is make the argument be who is the best 2 loss team is.... or even 3 loss team.... someone will always be 'left out'.... look at basketball and even though they now have 68 teams somebody is complaining they should have been included....

Kinda showed that Florida State was not one of the best teams (like I said)...

Also showed TCU IS one of the best... disappointed that Baylor lost... but I did have TCU ahead of them even though their one loss was to Baylor...

My brother pointed out that if they were still doing the BCS... Alabama would have won another championship.... his reasoning is that Florida State would have been #2 since they were undefeated and have played Alabama... Alabama would have destroyed them....

So good games so far... Still think Oregon will win...

Well, my Frogs sure looked like final four material!

You are correct. They are as good as if not better than Alabama and Florida State. My Alma Mater got shafted and should have been in the final four...

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

More than anything I think it shows the weakness in the overall ranking of teams. The SEC was looked at as a powerhouse conference. So when teams in the SEC beat or lost to teams in the SEC it took on a different look. When Alabama wins it's SEC games and plays patsies in their out of conference games, they move to number 1. When TCU beats it's Big 12 teams, well lets face it they are not as 'good' as SEC so they move to sixth place.

I don't know how you would change the 'strength of schedule' factor, but just to say a team beat SEC or Big Ten or Twelve, because they are a 'stronger conference' does not float. While I think Ohio played an outstanding game, I will always think it was a money decision for them to be in the top four.

Prediction--Oregon will put the ball on the turf too many times and OSU wins the big cheese.

It just seems to be the BIG 10's year.

I have been an Ohio State fan since 1973! I hope that they have it in them to win one more. They will have their hands full though. Go Buckeyes!

More than anything I think it shows the weakness in the overall ranking of teams. The SEC was looked at as a powerhouse conference. So when teams in the SEC beat or lost to teams in the SEC it took on a different look. When Alabama wins it's SEC games and plays patsies in their out of conference games, they move to number 1. When TCU beats it's Big 12 teams, well lets face it they are not as 'good' as SEC so they move to sixth place.

I don't know how you would change the 'strength of schedule' factor, but just to say a team beat SEC or Big Ten or Twelve, because they are a 'stronger conference' does not float. While I think Ohio played an outstanding game, I will always think it was a money decision for them to be in the top four.

I would have to do some looking to make sure this stmt is actually true.... but why do any research :LOL:

I think the 'strength of schedule' they give the SEC is because they pretty much dominate their non-conference games.... sure, some weak, but some not so weak...

That was one reason that I did not like FSU.... they did not play many good teams and did not dominate anybody... my brother pointed out that if it were not for a pass interference call during the Notre Dame game they would have had one loss and not been in the final four....

There is no way an unbeaten defending national champions from a power 5 conference would be left out. No way. Notre Dame should have run a legal play to beat FSU, and GT turned out to be a pretty tough conference foe after all. Turns out FSU was exposed as many expected but I still think it was right for them to be in.

The SEC started the season with some big non-conference wins and that carried over. The first signs of weakness came in the last week of the regular season with some rivalry losses (or maybe their East champ losing to Indiana), but there's no way Alabama was going to be left out. And they played a close game so I don't think it was wrong. I just hope the SEC West's miserable bowl performance resets the perceptions for next year. The SEC is not head and shoulders above the rest of the country, and may even be behind the Pac 12.

Obviously nobody is arguing against Oregon, nor should they be.

The last spot was between Ohio State, TCU and Baylor. TCU clearly made a case that they belonged, but Ohio State actually knocked off the #1 seed. Who's to say TCU could actually do that? And had they played Oregon they might've fared worse than FSU did. Probably not, but there's no total proof. Somebody was going to be left out, it turned out TCU was the one. The committee sent a very perplexing message by ranking them #3 when they apparently didn't intend to leave them there.

Husker fan here, maybe a bit of Big 10 bias but a lot of history with the Big 8/12 as well.

With the right game plan and motivation, practically any team is capable of knocking off another team, ranked or not.

The debate about which conference is strongest and who deserves to be in the play offs will continue to be controversial, and at best it gives us something to talk about. I still feel, rather than ranking teams each week and then deciding on the top 4, a playoff system between the conference champs would take out some of the emotion/subjectivity as to ranking which is based on won/loss, strength of schedule, style points, injuries, money, etc.

As to the Bucks vs Ducks, for me its an interesting matchup. OSU has size and speed, while Oregon has speed and a better QB. If Cardell Jones plays his best game, the Bucks will look good, but if not, I think the Ducks will prevail, as great QBs tend to be difference makers.

I think Carrington being out will be a big negative for the ducks. I am not sure about their remaining depth at WR, but this may lead to more screen passes and throws to TE.

Not loving the Ducks uniforms. Good for sales I guess. Ducks rolling early. Hoping for a good game.

I'm a lifelong OSU fan. I'm also a bit negative on the Ducks because they always beat my Huskies in recent years. So go Buckeyes!

Ha

+1 Great story. Winning a national championship with a QB playing his third college game. What the heck! Great team effort on both sides of the ball against a quality opponent.

Jones is a beast for a third-string QB...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

+1 Great story. Winning a national championship with a QB playing his third college game. What the heck! Great team effort on both sides of the ball against a quality opponent.
And OSU overcoming 4 turnovers. Elliott was unbelievable, OSU D handled Mariota, and C Jones stepped up (has any other team ever had that kind of depth?). Congrats Buckeye fans, you earned bragging rights for the year. Urban Meyer wow.

And OSU overcoming 4 turnovers. Elliott was unbelievable, OSU D handled Mariota, and C Jones stepped up (has any other team ever had that kind of depth?). Congrats Buckeye fans, you earned bragging rights for the year. Urban Meyer wow.

I guess you can call him being handled since they won.... but he had over 300 yards passing with some easy catches that were dropped....

Still, I think OSU would have won since it appeared that the only way they were stopped was a turnover.... (I am sure there were a few punts by OSU, but not many)....

Back
Top Bottom