College Football Championship

I guess you can call him being handled since they won.... but he had over 300 yards passing with some easy catches that were dropped....
Oregon went 2 for 12 on 3rd down conversions and 1 for 4 scoring from within the red zone IIRC what was reported on ESPN?

Oregon went 2 for 12 on 3rd down conversions and 1 for 4 scoring from within the red zone IIRC what was reported on ESPN?

Not arguing the point that Oregon lost... Just saying that if the Oregon receivers would have caught the balls they should have it would have been closer... remember the guy who was wide open for a TD and dropped the ball...

Just looked it up... Mariota's passer rating was 152.9... total of 333 yards... and if his receivers had caught those easy passes he would have been over 400 yards... I do not call that being handled... sure, they were outscored big time.... but handled:confused:

Now, Elliot rushed for 246 yards and 4 TDs.... they could not stop him... I think without him (or someone like him) the outcome could have been different....

linemen win games, period - last night was a perfect example

pretty excited that the Ohio St OC is coming to UH next year as our head coach

if he can get our line to block like that we'll have a great season

August can't come soon enough. I am already in college football withdrawal.

Not arguing the point that Oregon lost... Just saying that if the Oregon receivers would have caught the balls they should have it would have been closer... remember the guy who was wide open for a TD and dropped the ball....

And if FSU didn't turn the ball over 5 times, and scored more than 6 points while in the red zone, Oregon wouldn't have been in the national championship game to begin with.

FSU had over 500 total yards against Oregon so they proved Oregon's weakness was on defense. No doubt OS was going to move the ball on them. Oregon just couldn't keep up offensively.

Mike

And if FSU didn't turn the ball over 5 times, and scored more than 6 points while in the red zone, Oregon wouldn't have been in the national championship game to begin with.

FSU had over 500 total yards against Oregon so they proved Oregon's weakness was on defense. No doubt OS was going to move the ball on them. Oregon just couldn't keep up offensively.

Mike

I still do not think that FSU should have been in the final 4....

Yes, it was the Oregon defense that was the big weakness... and cost them the game... total offense for OSU was 538 compared to 465 for Oregon....

But the final score was a bit more lopsided than in actuality... that last touchdown was a gimme to OSU... Oregon had to go for it on 4th deep in their zone... I think OSU would not have taken it in if Oregon had not called that first timeout... so the spread would have been 15 pts...

Now, add in the dropped pass that almost for sure would have been a touchdown and it would have been an 8 point win... add in a few other dropped passes and who knows...

All I am saying is that I do not think Mariota was 'handled'....

I am not taking anything away from the OSU win... if they had not fumbled so many times it could have been a bigger blowout... but Oregon was good at forcing fumbles all year, so that is not as surprising as some of the other things...

NOW... from what they say, most of the main players will be back from OSU.... if so, I do not see them losing any games next year.... so I am already calling for a repeat!!! Oregon, probably not in the playoffs....

Not arguing the point that Oregon lost... Just saying that if the Oregon receivers would have caught the balls they should have it would have been closer... remember the guy who was wide open for a TD and dropped the ball...

Just looked it up... Mariota's passer rating was 152.9... total of 333 yards... and if his receivers had caught those easy passes he would have been over 400 yards... I do not call that being handled... sure, they were outscored big time.... but handled:confused:

Now, Elliot rushed for 246 yards and 4 TDs.... they could not stop him... I think without him (or someone like him) the outcome could have been different....
Going 2 for 12 on 3rd down, 1 for 4 in the red zone and losing 42-20 is getting handled by most people standards.

Woulda-coulda, really? If OSU didn't have 4 turnovers who knows how badly they "would have" beaten the Ducks - but that's irrelevant.

I'm not a fan of either, but Oregon got handled...

Last edited:

Not a rabid fan of any team. It's not like one of my relatives is playing, and my paycheck is the same no matter.

I've found that watching without malice aforethought has made the pro and college playoffs more enjoyable. No need to hype anyone, or make excuses or rationalizations, or measure anyone's, er, uh, well, you know...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Not a rabid fan of any team. It's not like one of my relatives is playing, and my paycheck is the same no matter.

I've found that watching without malice aforethought has made the pro and college playoffs more enjoyable. No need to hype anyone, or make excuses or rationalizations, or measure anyone's, er, uh, well, you know...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Same here I was rooting for Oregon,but was most looking for a good football game which I got until 4th quarter.

I do like playoff system it seems to work a lot better than trying to figure out which 1 loss team is the best.

Going 2 for 12 on 3rd down, 1 for 4 in the red zone and losing 42-20 is getting handled by most people standards.

Woulda-coulda, really? If OSU didn't have 4 turnovers who knows how badly they "would have" beaten the Ducks - but that's irrelevant.

Your last stmt is completely true.... OREGON got handled... blaming the QB is kinda easy here... but the guy put the ball where it needed to be a number of times and his guys dropped them... and the defense could not stop anything.... which is not the QBs job....

I do not have any dog in the hunt for either team... really could care less one way or the other.... I just disagree with your stmt... so we will just have to agree to disagree....

I still do not think that FSU should have been in the final 4....

Yes, it was the Oregon defense that was the big weakness... and cost them the game... total offense for OSU was 538 compared to 465 for Oregon....

But the final score was a bit more lopsided than in actuality... that last touchdown was a gimme to OSU... Oregon had to go for it on 4th deep in their zone... I think OSU would not have taken it in if Oregon had not called that first timeout... so the spread would have been 15 pts...

Now, add in the dropped pass that almost for sure would have been a touchdown and it would have been an 8 point win... add in a few other dropped passes and who knows...

All I am saying is that I do not think Mariota was 'handled'....

I am not taking anything away from the OSU win... if they had not fumbled so many times it could have been a bigger blowout... but Oregon was good at forcing fumbles all year, so that is not as surprising as some of the other things...

NOW... from what they say, most of the main players will be back from OSU.... if so, I do not see them losing any games next year.... so I am already calling for a repeat!!! Oregon, probably not in the playoffs....

FSU was the defending national champions and undefeated, how in the world should they NOT have been in the final four? OS winning the national championship this year made the selection committee look like geniuses. Urban Meyer is an exceptional coach. Love him, or hate him, he has been successful everywhere he has been.

Have you heard the latest rumor? Braxton Miller will be transferring to Florida State next season. He's already graduated and is taking graduate level classes so he can transfer and not have to redshirt.

I'm just extremely happy an SEC team didn't win! :)

Mike

FSU was the defending national champions and undefeated, how in the world should they NOT have been in the final four? OS winning the national championship this year made the selection committee look like geniuses. Urban Meyer is an exceptional coach. Love him, or hate him, he has been successful everywhere he has been.

Have you heard the latest rumor? Braxton Miller will be transferring to Florida State next season. He's already graduated and is taking graduate level classes so he can transfer and not have to redshirt.

I'm just extremely happy an SEC team didn't win! :)

Mike

Them being last years champ I think got them into the playoffs.... the teams they played and the margin of victory showed them to be an 'inferior' team.... (I use that word lightly.... I think they were a top 10 team, just not a top 4 team)... it was like 7 or 8 games won by less than 7 points... and we are not talking against top teams... some were middling teams...

I will agree with your last stmt... glad that it was not SEC... I did say this earlier... my brother had said that if they were under the old system... Alabama would have played FSU and won the championship.... so the new system seems to work...

Them being last years champ I think got them into the playoffs.... the teams they played and the margin of victory showed them to be an 'inferior' team.... (I use that word lightly.... I think they were a top 10 team, just not a top 4 team)... it was like 7 or 8 games won by less than 7 points... and we are not talking against top teams... some were middling teams...

I will agree with your last stmt... glad that it was not SEC... I did say this earlier... my brother had said that if they were under the old system... Alabama would have played FSU and won the championship.... so the new system seems to work...

The new system definitely worked for OS! :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom