Join Early Retirement Today

Come say hi to ESRBob in California at a book signing
Old 02-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Come say hi to ESRBob in California at a book signing

Just wanted to let you all know that I'll be in California in March doing book signings and talks at various bookstores for Work Less, Live More: The New Way to Retire Early. This is the book this forum created, as lots of people here have their stories and ideas woven into the book. It would be great to have people from the forum come and say hi, to put some handles and faces together.

Bring a used dryer sheet and wave it around so I can recognize you as somebody who 'gets it'!

I'll notify here if any more stores get added to the schedule - we are trying to arrange a visit to Alameda Naval Base's PX (BX?), too, on March 9.

March 9 (time TBD) Books, Inc. Alameda, CA

March 11 2 pm Orinda Books Orinda, CA

March 14 7 pm Stacey's San Francisco

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, San Francisco

March 18 3pm- 5pm Barnes & Noble, Woodland Hills, CA,

Mostly Bay Area and then Woodland Hills in L.A.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Come say hi to ESRBob in California at a book signing
Old 02-08-2006, 03:27 AM   #2

Bob,

I enjoyed your book -- I bought it at Barnes and Noble in Campbell, CA (just west of San Jose, just south of Santa Clara). I enjoyed the book and as a bonus I was shocked to see such solid investment advice in a retirement book. I probably won't be able to make a book signing, but I wish you luck. If my late 30s, 40-something Bay Area technology co-workers are any guide, they definitely don't get it, and you have your work cut out for you!

Kramer

Old 02-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #3

Kramer,
Glad you're finding the book useful -- plenty of people in Silicon Valley should be able to ER -- hope more of them find their way to it.

btw there has been a change to the schedule-- the Alameda even will be a week later on March 16 instead of March 9, at 7:30 pm. The latest schedule is:

March 14 7 pm Stacey's San Francisco

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted Place
for Books, San Francisco

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda, CA

March 18 3pm- 5pm Barnes & Noble,
Woodland Hills, CA,
Old 02-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You going to have sandwiches or beer or something?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #5

Rumors are that the layoffs I'm silently volunteering for will be around the time you'll be in SF. Maybe I'll stop by as a newly free man if I'm not too busy packing up my office.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
Rumors are that the layoffs I'm silently volunteering for will be around the time you'll be in SF. Maybe I'll stop by as a newly free man if I'm not too busy packing up my office.
I thought the economy is improving in the Bay Area. They should be hiring people instead. A couple of companies are calling me for job interviews.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
You going to have sandwiches or beer or something?
TH-- great idea -- if the bookstores aren't treating, i will. Give me your favorite brand and I'll make sure I've got it for ya. Time to take Gabe on his first trip to SF?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hey, send me the beer and sandwich and save me a trip. I might even buy a copy of the book out of appreciation

It'll be a while before I'll take a long trip with him. Right now its 15 minutes of interestedly looking out the window, 45 minutes of nap, 10 minutes of being pretty unhappy about still being in the car seat, then xx minutes of wailing, where xx is the amount of time until I get home...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #9

I remember that **** with our younger boy -- while the older one loved travel, the younger one had a fuse about five minutes long. We spent a lot of time at home during those years...

I know Nolo is trying to get me booked at Travis AFB, which would be closer to you-- will post here if they get that set up.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Show up in Sacramento with Redhook ESB and a hot pastrami on rye with deli mustard and I'll help you sign copies of the book
Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #11

We're working on it! What's a good bookstore in Sacto that an ER might frequent?

Come to think of it, there should be plenty of people in Sacramento with good govt pensions with early retirement provisions... Ok, Come on TH. you are the marketing genius -- doesn't this look like a 'target market'? 8)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

RETIRED marketing genius!

I dont think a lot of the politico's like living in the sac area. Wouldnt be surprised to see Ahnold try to move it to LA or somewhere that isnt 110 degrees in the summer time...

As far as bookstores, overstock and amazon are the only ones i've 'been in' for quite some time. My days of the three dollar barnes and noble lattes over a $5 "imported" boston globe amid occasional waggling eyebrows are well over
Old 02-15-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,

WLLM is now available at the Hawaii State Public Library System!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #14

Nords,
thanks for your efforts to get it into the Hawaii libraries -- just heard from a friend today it is in the Pelham, NY library, now, too in a special 'new books display'.

And for the next 4 weeks, Barnes & Noble is carrying a special display of it with a few other retirement books at the end of the "Business" shelves in 150 of their larger stores around the country. Nolo's Sales Chief told me that if anyone sees the book on this 'end cap' display, but not up on the top stand, we are entitled to shift ithe books around and put it on top, under the terms of Nolo's deal with B&N. So all you ER vigilantes out there -- have some fun if you're in a B&N store in the next 4 weeks -- if Work Less, Live More is even there and if it isn't on top, go ahead and put early retirement back where it belongs -- top of the heap. 8)

thx!
Bob
Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #15

There has been a change of time at the Stacey's San Francisco event. Other TV, radio etc stuff also included. Stop by if you're in the area!

March 12 7:50 a.m. Live interview on
KPIX radio

March 13 Interview with Andrea
Coombes on Marketwatch "Personally
Speaking"

March 14 12:30 pm Stacey's San
Francisco (NOTE CHANGED TIME)

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted
Place for Books, San Francisco

March 16 10 am NBC Channel 11
Interview with Laura Garcia-Cannon and
Brent Cannon

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda,
CA

Woodland Hills, CA,

March 19 CBS TV Appearance; "Bay
Sunday"
Old 03-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #16

Hey Bob - looking good! Staceys! My place at lunch hour when I was in SF - the place for signings - saw Mohammed Ali there on his book tour...Barry Manilow chickened out when a bomb threat was thrown called in - SF really takes music seriously

I would like to know what kind of perks you get from NOLO...do they put you up in a hotel and drive you around, wine and dine you...I'm eating my Boca burger while I type. Have fun and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
There has been a change of time at the Stacey's San Francisco event. Other TV, radio etc stuff also included. Stop by if you're in the area!

March 12 7:50 a.m. Live interview on
KPIX radio

March 13 Interview with Andrea
Coombes on Marketwatch "Personally
Speaking"

March 14 12:30 pm Stacey's San
Francisco (NOTE CHANGED TIME)

March 15 7 pm A Clean Well Lighted
Place for Books, San Francisco

March 16 10 am NBC Channel 11
Interview with Laura Garcia-Cannon and
Brent Cannon

March 16 7:30 pm Books, Inc. Alameda,
CA

Woodland Hills, CA,

March 19 CBS TV Appearance; "Bay
Sunday"
Old 03-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
And for the next 4 weeks, Barnes & Noble is carrying a special display of it with a few other retirement books at the end of the "Business" shelves in 150 of their larger stores around the country.*
Hi Bob,

I walked over to B&N at lunch (downtown Baltimore) and the display, including your book, were right there as you said!

I bought the book about a month ago and read it in just a few days. Lots of good, concise, easy-to-understand info. DH (who isn't all that interested in things financial) read it and liked it too.* Good job!

CJ
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #18

CJ,
Great stuff -- still haven't made it over to a B&N yet to see the display, so am glad somebody did! Now I know it's real. Glad your husband is reading it, too. My sense about the financial part of the book is that it could actually apply to any long-term investor, maybe with different asset allocations -- it isn't rocket science but it also isn't something that wall street or even planners are lining up to tell investors about, either-- especially the part about keeping annual fees below 0.5%!

Dan-- boca burgers is about the level of wining and dining for me, too, I think. Nolo is paying for the trip car etc and meals, but as everybody in the publishing industry is frugal by necessity I don't think I'll be buying bottles of Dom Perignon at Trader Vic's while I'm out there. Still, if you're in the area, we could no doubt spring for a bottle of San Pellegrino on them! Well, maybe Dasani? Hoping to get some real Mexican food out there, though -- that was always the best thing about California eating in my view...
Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
CJ,
Great stuff -- still haven't made it over to a B&N yet to see the display, so am glad somebody did! Now I know it's real. Glad your husband is reading it, too. My sense about the financial part of the book is that it could actually apply to any long-term investor, maybe with different asset allocations -- it isn't rocket science but it also isn't something that wall street or even planners are lining up to tell investors about, either-- especially the part about keeping annual fees below 0.5%!

Dan-- boca burgers is about the level of wining and dining for me, too, I think. Nolo is paying for the trip car etc and meals, but as everybody in the publishing industry is frugal by necessity I don't think I'll be buying bottles of Dom Perignon at Trader Vic's while I'm out there. Still, if you're in the area, we could no doubt spring for a bottle of San Pellegrino on them! Well, maybe Dasani? Hoping to get some real Mexican food out there, though -- that was always the best thing about California eating in my view...
Hey thanks Bob, I wish I were still there it would be great to share a cold one with you! - but I'm hibernating in Minnesota right now. By the way 12:30 might be a better time the lunch crowd will be filled with folks looking to retire early.
Even though its been a while I think I can still recommend that you get your Mexican food fix south of Market down 24th street way...at Taqueria SF ... Nothing fancy comes in aluminum foil wrap...
Here's all you need to know about the SF Burrito http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito
My favorite Taqueria is Taqueria San Francisco 2794 24th St.
[img width=750 height=562]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/DanTien/123_san_francisco.jpg[/img]
Old 03-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #20

Seriously cool taqueria mural, Dan.
I'll definitely try to get over this one on my trip. Didn't know SF burritos now warranted their own wikipedia listing, though!