($%@#)=!~ Computer Downloads

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
It's getting worse.
Websites that I used to trust, have sold out. They have to be paid in some way to provide program downloads, but... now have made it virtually impossible to do a simple download, without jumping through hoops.

The main pages are so confusing that unless you are willing to read every word, you may end up downloading "FIX MY COMPUTER" files, "PROPRIETARY DOWNLOADERS", automatic "SCAN AND UPDATE ALL PROGRAMS" and phony "Ad Block" files that are really "Ad ADDERS.

But you knew all that.

What's really bugging me now, is the newer "AGREEMENTS" that you must okay in order to download. I was careless, and in trying to download CCleaner, I ended up with a series of long ageeements, each of which offered two or three malware items to "unclick"... Despite doing this, I ended up with three unwanted obnoxious "FIX" files, which showed up immediately in my startup programs... and were readily identified by Malwarebytes.

It's a jungle out there. Between the 20 minutes of every hour of TV programming and the walls, windows, posts, vehicles, and signs... our exposure to ADVERTISING is a 24/7 consensual agreement that we have made in order to exist.

Using the computer automatically puts us under continual attack. Is there no end to this?

Safe haven suggestions for free downloads?

My wife who's normally pretty savvy got scammed by CNET malware which hijacked her browsers. I guess all it takes is one slip-up and they're on your system.

I'm actually pretty glad now for walled gardens like the apple app store. Not all of my software comes from there but the types of stuff I use that doesn't is too specific/technical to be worth targeting.

Isn't there a microsoft equivalent of the App Store?

It's terrible. I agree. If possible go to the site of whoever makes the software/app and see if a clean download is available without all of the nonsense add-on junk.

I avoid CNET like the plague. One time (pre CNET days, as just download.com) that was one of the go to places for downloading but now it's more like a good place to get malware on your PC. :facepalm:

I use a Mac and haven't had any issues... I got tired of Bill Gates running my life. As far as websites pushing 3rd party crap, I agree that you have to be focused before you click...they always come up with tricky navigation that invites you into clicking on someone's ad or download..

You could just pay for the software.

The free downloads/updates from reliable sources are amazing. If we had to pay for ad free software it would be $$$. Remember the days when you had to BUY a browser ? Google is rolling out subscription ad-free you-tube. I am thinking of paying , even as cheap as I am.

When I say "Reliable sources" Microsoft - Adobe - Google , the big boys. They sometimes want to change your browser, but the un-check box is clearly in plain sight. I don't download any freeware from some company I have never herd of.

I pay a yearly subscription to a smaller anti-virus vendor. The free/semi free anti-virus from norton or mcaffee IS a virus itself IMHO.

Last edited:
Read the thread on the Chromebook and Chromebox. Unless you are heavy into MS Office and other MS programs, no need for much else. You really have to like Google, though!

And yes, advertising is everywhere. Sites like Facebook are working on nothing else but ways to get ads in your face.

CNET is owned by CBS and there was a controversy over some decisions made for it a while back:

In CBS Vs. Dish Network, CNET's Credibility Is The Loser - Forbes

CBS ought to think long and hard about this before it proceeds with the course of action it’s chosen for dealing with Dish Network, its distribution partner and legal antagonist. The media conglomerate has ordered its technology news website CNET not to publish any editorial reviews of Dish products, including the new Hopper With Sling DVR, whose ad-skipping technology is the focus of litigation between the two companies. (Fox and NBC are also suing Dish, saying automatic ad-skipping constitutes copyright infringement and breach of contract.)
The edict emerged after CNET, under CBS’s direction, disqualified Hopper With Sling as a candidate for its Best of CES awards. CNET explained the move in a statement, saying, “We will no longer be reviewing products manufactured by companies with which we are in litigation with respect to such product.”

OK, I freely admit that I hoard software and am always looking for a specialized utility to perform conversions, batch change, etc.

But if you've been computing for a while, can't you just use the programs already installed?

Windows is the most vulnerable OS. If you fall prey too often, try Apple, Android, Chrome OS, or Linux. At this time large numbers of users are migrating away from Windows. Maybe it's time to step away from M$.

I avoid CNET like the plague. One time (pre CNET days, as just download.com) that was one of the go to places for downloading but now it's more like a good place to get malware on your PC. :facepalm:

Seriously. They are now on my block list. I used to go there all the time for reviews, mostly, with just the occasional download. Last year I downloaded something simple that is freeware anyway ("Audacity" or something like it). They added the malware loaders to what is a supposed to a free and open download everywhere. I got bit, and ended up reinstalling my OS I was so frustrated.

What gets me (and maybe this is what imolernu is talking about) is that you now get junk added to "Adobe Updater", for example. They try to sneak in some antivirus.

It is out of control

I use majorgeeks for downloads as previously mentioned in the discussion. never had a problem with malware from that site.

Agree. It seems to me like it really starting getting bad in the past year. Before I found it to be a good source. Others sites I have used don't seem to be any better these days. Even if you are careful and reject (or opt-out) all the all the extra stuff that they try to install, I still get unwanted changes and/or stuff.

read the thread on the chromebook and chromebox. Unless you are heavy into ms office and other ms programs, no need for much else.

+1 +1 +1 !!

Does anyone else remember when CNET was a TV show? I also pine for the days when they were the "go-to" site for downloads.

CBS seems to be the worst when it comes to embracing (or at least accepting the inevitability of) new technology. When DVRs first came out, I remember a newspaper article quoting a CBS executive as saying that "zapping" commercials on a DVR was "stealing" from the network.

Could the OP be more specific about where he is downloading from that causes these issues? My experience is just the opposite, I don't recall having any such problems, ever. So where is he seeing this?

BTW, that's on Mac and Linux, not sure that makes a difference.

-ERD50

Computer developer here:

If you have to install virus cleaner / malware remover, you're doing something wrong. DO NOT INSTALL STUFF that is not absolutely required. Use the computers "restore" function to back out of installs that caused problems.

As a developer of online software, I am approached DAILY by adware companies to add there stuff to my program. They'll pay like $1 per install and at 1000's installs a day, that would really add up. I don't do it, but yes, many developers do, and some of the even bigger companies do too. I think Yahoo and AVG are the worst.

Downloading directly from the developer's site will minimize the addition of extras.

I got bit by "Adobe Updater" a couple weeks ago. No more Adobe for me.

These days, I believe only a very small portion of "free" downloads are truly free, without ad/malware coming with it. In the last few months, I had to download a few SW tools. Afterward, I had to spend 10 - 20 minutes cleaning up, uninstalling unwanted programs.

"Free" has became a for letter word in the world of download.

Back
Top Bottom