I've managed to avoid home ownership for over 40 years; but, the combination of a seriously depressed real estate market in South Florida along with the extended first time home buyer's credit have me seriously thinking about taking the plunge.
I am considering the Hollywood, FL area for a couple of reasons:
- I have vacationed in and around there several times and like the area.
- I still travel a great deal for w*rk (and, haven't been able to pull the plug on that yet), this is close to both the MIA and FLL airports.
- Prices seem even more depressed in this area than in surrounding municipalities.
While I am leaning towards a condo/town-home, I might also consider a free standing dwelling.
Please feel free to share any cometary, thoughts, advise, etc. Some things that I would definitely be interested in seeing:
- Anything that might dissuade me from this insanity.
- Specific information about analyzing the financials of a condo association prior to making an offer or included in offer contingencies.
- Advice regarding short sales and REO.
- Information about real estate professionals in the area that anyone here has been particularly pleased with.
Please feel free to PM me anything that you do not want to share publicly.