Container Gardening

Live and in color....Earthboxes galore (front to back...spinach, cukes, Romaine, watermelons), Peppers and Peas, and Tomatoes & Dogs.

Attachments

• EarthboxesMay2012.jpg
    EarthboxesMay2012.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PeppersPeasMay2012.jpg
    PeppersPeasMay2012.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • TomatoesMay2012.jpg
    TomatoesMay2012.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2
Your gardens are beautiful! We are in the second year in our new house, and the soil here is very acidic with lots of clay. We like the trees for shade, but last year the tomatoes didn't get enough sun - long and scraggly with fruit only during late summer. This year, DH just created a box that we will put in a SW area.

But, like you, MBAustin, the herbs (hardy flowers too) are doing very well: foxglove, echinacea, arnica, black-eyed susan, English lavender, French lavender, white sage, nettles, parsley, rosemary, and oregano. Some of my plants are considered weeds - like nettle - but, it is loaded with nutrients. I like to dry it for tea, or tincture it.

Harvest update

I am loving the output of my little porch farm...I finally have it down pat to do successive plantings every 2 weeks when starting the seedlings indoors. The production has been perfect for 2 persons and is still ongoing. I have second sets of carrots and peas going, and am replacing spent tomato plants with young Roma tomato plants for a late fall (or indoor) harvest.

A few pics for fun...:D

- Sugar Baby watermelons grown vertically on a folding steel support.
- The star performer, approx 5" across, supported by onion bag netting secured to the steel support with florists' wire.
- Cukes off the vine, and those who are being transformed into garlic dills in the frig. Also garlic scapes niblets to be used for flavoring olive oil.
- Tomatoes and more tomatoes...beefsteak and Romas just picked.
- Happy Roma tomatoes.

Attachments

• watermelonsaug2012.jpg
    watermelonsaug2012.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
  • biggestmelonaug2012.jpg
    biggestmelonaug2012.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 3
  • cukesngarlic.jpg
    cukesngarlic.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 2
  • tomatoesaug2012.jpg
    tomatoesaug2012.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 3
  • HappyRomas.jpg
    HappyRomas.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I am loving the output of my little porch farm...I finally have it down pat to do successive plantings every 2 weeks when starting the seedlings indoors. The production has been perfect for 2 persons and is still ongoing. I have second sets of carrots and peas going, and am replacing spent tomato plants with young Roma tomato plants for a late fall (or indoor) harvest.

A few pics for fun...:D

- Sugar Baby watermelons grown vertically on a folding steel support.
- The star performer, approx 5" across, supported by onion bag netting secured to the steel support with florists' wire.
- Cukes off the vine, and those who are being transformed into garlic dills in the frig. Also garlic scapes niblets to be used for flavoring olive oil.
- Tomatoes and more tomatoes...beefsteak and Romas just picked.
- Happy Roma tomatoes.

What a wonderful garden! Great tomatoes!

What a wonderful garden! Great tomatoes!
TY :flowers:
I have had a lot of fun prepping for, planting, and nurturing my little farm.
The taste of those tomatoes when just picked is unbelievable.

I didn't show the peppers in my pics. Some of the pepper plants are waist high, with dozens of fruits hiding within. I'm going to let them fully ripen, then preserve them in glass jars with oil and vinegar. I will store them in a refrigerator because I'm too lazy to do canning. I have a small fridge in my back yard building that may get moved to the garage for the winter.

I am continuously figuring out ways to do year 'round gardening, indoors and outdoors. My winter indoor garden will be less diversified and have a smaller footprint. The joy is having seeds sprouting and green things growing when it is cold and dreary outside.

Last edited:
Mmmm...those tomatoes look yummy. I'm looking forward to canning some of ours. Believe it or not, they are just now turning red.

There are several places I could post these pics (Bacon Thread, What Did You Eat Today?), but this seemed like the best one.

With my apologies in advance to those forum members on diets >:D
I give you the classic BLT Club.

The components and the system output...:D

Attachments

• BLTingredients.jpg
    BLTingredients.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 3
  • theBLT.jpg
    theBLT.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom