Cooking questions

audrey - +1 on the Thermapen. It's pricey but I no longer overcook meat and fish (yes, you can even monitor the temp on most fish filets!)

palomalou - The difference between Grand Prix and Grand Prix II is the handle - the blades are the same. I find the Grand Prix II more comfortable for my small hands so that's what I have. Haven't sprung for a santuko yet, though.

Haven't sprung for a santuko yet, though.
I only have one in my set (the rest purchased before sankatu was widely available) - but they are great, everyone should have at least one IMO.

I use DW's candy thermometer (when she's not looking) which is pretty fast acting instead of a Thermapen, maybe I should bite the bullet though...

And about cooking outside this time of year, yes I do that because I can. It's the advantage we have in the SW in the winter, ya know? It's only 36F as I post this.

We have a small, inexpensive, toaster oven on our back covered porch that we use all winter when we're worried about smelling up the place or just have something small to cook! Guess the oven has to work a bit harder when it's 15 degrees out but still seems to work fine. The grill is also stored under the cover and is used year round as well.

I am happy with this cheapo wireless meat thermometer. Available at your nearest Walmart. You even get change back after paying with a $20 bill.

images

Must be a different Pamela Anderson... :LOL:
Yes, it is, :LOL: but this Pam Anderson is famous in her own right. She was editor of Cooks Illustrator for years, and still writes a weekly USA Today cooking column. She's my go to if I'm trying to figure out the best way to prepare/cook something. She's famous for discovering and publishing the "best" recipe for many typical US dishes. A fountain of information and experience.

Perfect Crab Cakes With Green Onions Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Last edited:
I'd just like to invite you enthusiastic chefs to move to our neighborhood, preferably within easy [-]sampling[/-] walking distance of our home.

I'd just like to invite you enthusiastic chefs to move to our neighborhood, preferably within easy [-]sampling[/-] walking distance of our home.

One of the few things I like as much as cooking is feeding people!:dance:

I love to cook, especially now that I'm retired and have the time to devote to making some really great meals. If you are interested in preparing and eating some really great (and healthy) meals made with quality ingredients, check out some of these recipes from Paul Jaminet:

Recipes | Perfect Health Diet

Here is a shot of our 40-garlic chicken. After the chicken is taken out we toss pasta in with the baked garlic and drippings from the chicken. Sinful, but delicious!

8345224139_432d05e3d4_z.jpg

I am making this dish today. However, as I have two pieces of skinless-boneless chicken breasts along with a few drumsticks, I decided to use Ina Garten's method.

Basically, she browns the meat in a pot, then simmers it on the stove top instead of baking in the oven. Will see how that turns out. It's cookin' right now.

You can easily search for her recipe, but here's her linked photo:

IG0503_31318_s4x3_lg.jpg

Here is a shot of our 40-garlic chicken. After the chicken is taken out we toss pasta in with the baked garlic and drippings from the chicken. Sinful, but delicious!

8345224139_432d05e3d4_z.jpg
What!? :eek: I thought it was supposed to be one chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, not 40 chickens!!!!

Well, we cannot be sure that that poster did not have a bed of garlic of 1600 cloves under those chicken pieces.

The question is how many people he was feeding with that. Just him and his wife?

PS. Ina Garten's method worked out well with the chicken breasts. I simmered the pot with the lid closed, so no moisture was lost. We ate half of the dish, and had some left-overs. It was good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom