Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=samclem;1414852]Comments:

I'm just not a fan of the slinky duct. If you can get real metal ducts or at least "ductboard" ones at a reasonable price (i.e. in places with easy access, esp the bigger ducts) I think it would be a smart move. It has less resistance to air flow, it can be cleaned on the inside (if the ductboard is the right kind), and it doesn't sag, kink, collapse.

Ooops. That was samclem's paragraph above. Not sure how I fouled that up.

Agree entirely. Built a house in FL in 87, thought I'd be there a long time and used sheet metal, compared to the flex plastic a real PIA. Now in a house 20 YO and hate the way the flex ducts look, especially under the house in crawl space. In FL I was convinced that attic temps would make the flex plastic crumble in 10-20 years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Sounds like a good choice of contractor. Hopefully the extensive work (and $$) will fix the problem. "Zoned" = multiple air handling units? Sounds like you are getting a good price. Probably not a big deal where you are, but where the weather gets really cold having another source of heat in the house can be a very nice thing.

Nope, zoned is electronic dampers that close off either the upper or lower floor... the cost of putting in two complete systems was not worth it to me...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=H2ODude;1417470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Comments:

I'm just not a fan of the slinky duct. If you can get real metal ducts or at least "ductboard" ones at a reasonable price (i.e. in places with easy access, esp the bigger ducts) I think it would be a smart move. It has less resistance to air flow, it can be cleaned on the inside (if the ductboard is the right kind), and it doesn't sag, kink, collapse.

Ooops. That was samclem's paragraph above. Not sure how I fouled that up.

Agree entirely. Built a house in FL in 87, thought I'd be there a long time and used sheet metal, compared to the flex plastic a real PIA. Now in a house 20 YO and hate the way the flex ducts look, especially under the house in crawl space. In FL I was convinced that attic temps would make the flex plastic crumble in 10-20 years.

I didn't get into the cost of sheet metal ducts.... I could be wrong, but from what I have read they cost a lot more money than flex...

Also, my attic is not set up for sheet metal ducts.... not a lot of straight runs... in the house where I grew up, the main duct ran down the center of the house and the side ducks came off of them at a 90 degree... it was a one story....
Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Nope, zoned is electronic dampers that close off either the upper or lower floor... the cost of putting in two complete systems was not worth it to me...
Will the fan run at different speeds when 1 or both dampers are open. I.E. if only one is open will it be a gale in the house>
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Will the fan run at different speeds when 1 or both dampers are open. I.E. if only one is open will it be a gale in the house>

Not at different speeds.... I think I will go for one of those when I have to replace the AC system...

It is a bit more breezy, but they have to run a loop from the supply side to the return side... or do some other thing to get the air out...

From what the guy said, I have 1200 CFM of ducts for the downstairs and 800 for the upstairs... my system runs 2000 CFM (not sure of this number though)... so, he said it needs someplace to take that extra CFM... sometimes they just have an open duct that works when either of them are on...

The good thing I can tell with one hour of running is that the temp is the exact same upstairs and downstairs...
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Decided to give an update since we have had the system in a few days...

So far, it is doing exactly what I was hoping.... the temp upstairs and downstairs have been the exact same if I want... today it was nice outside so I did not run our heater in the morning... the upstairs got to 75 and the downstairs was 72... but I could easily make them the same if I wanted...

My thermostats have a fan mode that will run at random times to make things the same... I am now trying to see if that is something I want to do...

But, so far, it is good.....