Curious about Monikers

I'm one of those posters who changed names...but only once. I started posting here in 2002 as REWanabe. As you can see under my avatar, when my w*rk status changed, so did my name.
img_472837_0_8348b966afe2e095cca724cc26742c22.gif

Oh, I don't know...perhaps rememberance of Leisure Suit Larry?

Samuel Langhorne Clemens. I'm just one of the many who love Mark Twain and are entertained and inspired by his work.

whitestick was an old CB moniker I had referring to a type of antenna that I used at the time. It was rather long, and I had mounted it up high on my car, so when I drove down the street, that antenna was the most memorable thing that stood out about my car. Had a bit of notoriety about it in the small town in Indiana where I was at the time. Nothing more.

My initials are jmg, a retired engineer living in Arizona -- thus sgeeeee.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I know. That makes no sense. Neither does the real story which involves two moniker morphs and an uninteresting bit of coincidence. :D

Just my first name, not very interesting. But as a kid I went by Larry. As I learned more about my grandfather and namesake (who died in WWII) I wanted to honor his name a little more by not hiding behind a nickname. Probably the only quirky thing I do in conversation with strangers is when they say, "can I call you Larry", is to reply simply, "No". :)

As DW would rightfully say, men are so simple minded. Can't say they didn't burn a hole in my pocket but they were all fun.

1974 914 2 liter, Grad school project car
1979 911SC Targa, grey market (remember those days?), first job car
1989 Carrera Targa, 3.6 liter swap, 2500#, 290hp, midlife "adjustment" car

Attachments

• 74-914.jpg
    74-914.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 74-914.jpg_thumb
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 79TargaB.jpg
    79TargaB.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 79TargaB.jpg_thumb
    27.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CAR00004B.jpg
    CAR00004B.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 7
  • CAR00004B.jpg_thumb
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
Wab is short for wabmester, the dyslexic webmaster. Everybody mispelled wabmester, so I simplified the spelling for them. :)

And I'm neither dyslexic nor much of a webmaster. I think the last time I updated one of my own websites was in 1999. I'm starting to feel a little guilty about it, but not guilty enough to do anything about it yet....

My first encounter with the word "joss" was in a James Clavell novel, "Nobel House", I think. Clavell used it as a Chinese synonym for karma or fate. It was used there philosophically to ease the pain and shock when bad things happen unexpectedly.

I use it to remind me that life has ups and downs that we have little control over (eg: not to do "sack dances" when good things happen).... and to remember what goes around, comes around.

REWahoo! said:
I'm one of those posters who changed names...but only once. I started posting here in 2002 as REWanabe. As you can see under my avatar, when my w*rk status changed, so did my name.
img_472933_0_8348b966afe2e095cca724cc26742c22.gif

I did the same. Entered the board as BUMwannabe. Two years ago I went thru metamorphosis and shed the "wannabe". Been getting used to the new wings ever since. The bum part refers to a mental image of beachbum, which pretty much describes me during the months I'm in NC.

My first dog

John Tuttle:
A made up physician created by the usual suspects) who was larger than life - a surgical wiz, humanitarian and fearless hero - even though no one met him, everyone started acting like he was real; Henry, Margaret, etc. Army ended up sending "back pay" which went to the orpanage. When he finally needed to appear for a medal, he wal "killed"

Can't recall religion, went to a german medical school, and died in a crash while trying to provide aid - close enough.

Mine is pretty simple: an amalgram of first & last names.

Meadbh said:
In case you've ever wondered why I chose Meadbh, she was a FI Irish Queen in the first century.
I don't wish to compromise anyone's privacy, but I often wonder how Forum members select some of those cryptic usernames. For example, is C-T really cut-throat, and how did lazygood4nothingbum get to be FI if he's so lazy:confused:

Meadbh (aka the Queen)

Watch out for those kids playing with slingshots near your house.......... ;)

My real name is Will, however when I moved to the south, people who had lived here all their lives elongated the vowel. I really never noticed until some old friends (from California) were visiting and wondered why I was now known as Wheel. :)

sgeeeee said:
My initials are jmg, a retired engineer living in Arizona -- thus sgeeeee.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I know. That makes no sense. Neither does the real story which involves two moniker morphs and an uninteresting bit of coincidence. :D

The absurdity of all of this is that I know exactly where your name comes from, Nords favorite tv show, and Marthas favorite fruit. Without looking.

I feel very inadequate at coming up with an alter-ego all of a sudden! 8)

At the risk of someone arriving on my doorstep (good luck with the 5 dogs) to steal my turntable, my beater cars, and my old tractor; I use my real name.

It prevents me (I hope) from saying unkind or angry things I might regret. :D

PS: I sympathize with Will, I have a cousin whose name is wheel as well! I get Say-rah frequently!

Last edited:
Bow-tie - - nickname for Chevys - all my life raised around the cars of the General (Motors)...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Depends. What kind of tractor is it? I might spin by and snag it tomorrow if its anything decent.
Dude, that is a looonnng way to come for a tractor! But it is a lovely little Yanmar diesel with a nice 4' mower deck. If you come to steal it, though, please bring jumper cables! That is part of our sophisticated theft deterrent system. Likewise with the pickup truck. And good luck trying to leave in the truck without all the dogs wanting to go for a ride! :D
Sarah

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
The absurdity of all of this is that I know exactly where your name comes from, Nords favorite tv show, and Marthas favorite fruit. Without looking.
Now that makes sense. I wish I had consulted with you before I posted. :confused:

mclesters said:
Dude, that is a looonnng way to come for a tractor! But it is a lovely little Yanmar diesel with a nice 4' mower deck. If you come to steal it, though, please bring jumper cables! That is part of our sophisticated theft deterrent system. Likewise with the pickup truck. And good luck trying to leave in the truck without all the dogs wanting to go for a ride! :D
Sarah

Well NOW we're talking. A truck, a tractor AND some dogs? Woo hoo!

I have the same problem. My neighbors are fairly amused that we keep a car almost exclusively for the purpose of giving the dogs a 20 minute ride around the neighborhood once a day. Every day.

OK, back on topic:
Gumby said:
Mine comes from pronouncing my initials as a single word -- gmb
Dang, another cherished illusion shattered. I thought your name came from the submarine force's motto-- "Semper Fi" & "Semper Paratus" were already taken so the nukes went with "Semper Gumby!"

"Nords" is the only publicly-acceptable version of a number of names my first XO used to refer to me by. I've lost touch with him so if he ever googles "Nords" someday then he's in for a surprise...

Always loved the Beach Boys when I was growing up and wanted to be a surfer girl in California though I grew up on the east coast :(

I know the song is Barbara Ann (without the "e"), but my middle name is Anne.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

Weird how much and how little we know about each other. I know these things too without looking and I know the names of your dogs and I know how big your monitor is. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom