Dead Letter Zone

bbbamI

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In this month's AARP bulletin, there is a segment under Your Money/Good Deals.
I read the following:

Having trouble canceling commercial mail addressed to the dead? Now there's help: the Direct Marketing Association's Deceased Do Not Contact List. Register the deceased person's info for $1 online at preference.the-dma.org. Include the name, date of death, your name, relationship and contact info. DMA says the fee is to discourage fraud or misuse by people canceling mail for those who are not deceased.

Just how far do you have to go to not get junk mail? :eek: :LOL:

To infinity and beyond! Three years later I'm still tossing mail sent to my mom - even after repeated calls to the senders.

I wonder what the downside of using this to cut down on junk mail for the living?

I wonder if the current green movement is going to set its sites on junk mail at some point. We're on every do-not-mail list, but still get lots. Imagine how much paper and other materials are wasted -- printed, assembled, transported around the country, and 99% goes right into landfill or recycling.

My husband has been dead almost nine years and I stil get mail for him .Occasionally I'll get a call and they will ask when I expect him back :confused: Once they asked me where he was and I said I'm hopeing for heaven .

My husband has been dead almost nine years and I stil get mail for him .Occasionally I'll get a call and they will ask when I expect him back Huh Once they asked me where he was and I said I'm hopeing for heaven .

Utterly gross.

Aw c'mon, people! You just haven't embraced the LBYM possibilities of junk mail. In addition to entertaining my 3 year old daughter for a precious 10 minutes a day, the possibilities are endless:

- Use it to heat your home
- Crumpled it is an excellent insulator
- Shred it and it is great mulch
- Makes a great substitute for kitty litter
- With a little glue its great for structural repairs for your home

And they send it to you for FREE! Is 'Merika a great country or what?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Moemg said:
My husband has been dead almost nine years and I stil get mail for him .Occasionally I'll get a call and they will ask when I expect him back :confused: Once they asked me where he was and I said I'm hopeing for heaven .

Yeah, answered a caller for my wife's long dead grandfather:

"Is -- there?" "No." When do you expect him back?" "No time soon." "Can you have him call me back?" "Not sure how to do that." "Well, how do I get hold of him?" "Don't really know but if you talk to him, be sure and let us know!" :LOL:

bbbamI said:
In this month's AARP bulletin, there is a segment under Your Money/Good Deals.
I read the following:

Having trouble canceling commercial mail addressed to the dead? Now there's help: the Direct Marketing Association's Deceased Do Not Contact List. Register the deceased person's info for $1 online at preference.the-dma.org. Include the name, date of death, your name, relationship and contact info. DMA says the fee is to discourage fraud or misuse by people canceling mail for those who are not deceased.

Just how far do you have to go to not get junk mail? :eek: :LOL:

I suspect the DMA is attempting to save cost for thier members. I knew someone once that filed a change of address for thier enemy........that was before the PO sent a confirmation to the old address. I don't believe one dollar would discourage a prankster from canceling mail for the living tho it may keep them from pranking a large number of folks.

Back
Top Bottom