Did You Enjoy That Soup?

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After reading and participating in the do you carry the pen thread. I think this tidbit deserves its own "airing out" so to speak.
I was in the store with my mother in law and bride. This store had a self serve soup kettle, several types, split pea with ham, chicken noodle and I think Italian wedding soups. As I go over to investigate my mother in law says "BCG dont you dare!" I said " what ?" "You know that everyone touches that ladle and it sometimes slips into the soup!" She then whispers to me "feces". Thats it Im ruined. Every time I see one at a store I think of that day. So, anyone eat that soup? Its in a lot of stores so I know some one is buying it.:LOL:. Just like the self service salad bars. The plastic thing that hangs over the items is officially called a sneeze guard, appetizing isnt it?:Di

A precocious high school daughter of two scientists once did a study of bacteria in the common wine cup used at communion (Episcopal church in her case). Sh did find fecal coliform bacteria among others. I frequently hold the chalice at communion and I see how many times fingertips get into the wine when someone chooses to dip the bread into it rather than drink from the cup. Many are small children.

I'm in church every Sunday and I'm a "drinker". I don't remember my last illness other than a nasty cold last April after wiping my granddaughter's snotty nose too many times on a visit.

I had to be more careful when DH was sick and severely immune-compromised. Now I'm back to being laid-back. I wouldn't worry about soup, buffets or salad bars.

A precocious high school daughter of two scientists once did a study of bacteria in the common wine cup used at communion (Episcopal church in her case). Sh did find fecal coliform bacteria among others. I frequently hold the chalice at communion and I see how many times fingertips get into the wine when someone chooses to dip the bread into it rather than drink from the cup. Many are small children.

I'm in church every Sunday and I'm a "drinker". I don't remember my last illness other than a nasty cold last April after wiping my granddaughter's snotty nose too many times on a visit.

I had to be more careful when DH was sick and severely immune-compromised. Now I'm back to being laid-back. I wouldn't worry about soup, buffets or salad bars.

I second that - way too much germophobia!

I would like to think that a higher authority is watching out over us when we are at Mass.:angel:

Biology 101. Build up your antibodies. Buckle up cupcakes - it's called life. :LOL:

So, yeah, I don't fear the buffets so much. I'm more mindful of the eleventy-seven thousand milligrams of sodium and fat content. When I do mosey up to the trough, I try to stay heavy on the salad, clear soups, and other, less lethal options. What!? Do I see General Tso's pork over there:confused: "S'cuse me! Coming through!"

YMMV!

Biology 101. Build up your antibodies. Buckle up cupcakes - it's called life. :LOL:

So, yeah, I don't fear the buffets so much. I'm more mindful of the eleventy-seven thousand milligrams of sodium and fat content. When I do mosey up to the trough, I try to stay heavy on the salad, clear soups, and other, less lethal options. What!? Do I see General Tso's pork over there:confused: "S'cuse me! Coming through!"

YMMV!

Hahahaha, coming thru hahahaha. Yeah I had a willy for the split pea with Ham soup, After she told me that it was over. She then went on to educated my wife on why not to place her handbag in the section reserved for where the kiddies sit. Thats the spot they wet on. I went to get a few of the courtesy wipes for my hands and the bottom of her pocketbook.

+1. There are hundreds or thousands of various health exposures in public places, food bar self serve soup is hardly the worst. Many others you probably don't know about, if you knew them all you'd never leave home. But I'll spare the examples, germophobes know them, and the rest of us have healthy immune systems.

Last edited:
I gave up on the free cocktail peanuts at the bar for the same reason. I want to add I have not been to a bar as a patron in years.

I gave up on the free cocktail peanuts at the bar for the same reason. I want to add I have not been to a bar as a patron in years.
We know you mean well but you should stay home, there are many other more serious health exposures you probably don't know you're being exposed to. We're just creating a generation of Purel bathed germophobes with unnaturally weak immune systems...

Last edited:
But you live in NYC, right? As in one of the most dense population centers in the nation? Just wanted to clarify...

Yeah, hahah, Im trying to cut off extra germs. I did want the soup , after hearing that bit of info, I was no longer hungry for that particular one

I avoid the chocolate fondue fountain at buffets. I have seen sneezy, coughy, pick-their-nose kids sticking their hands in it trying to get their snacks coated.

We know you mean well but you should stay home, there are many other more serious health exposures you probably don't know you're being exposed to. We're just creating a generation of Purel bathed germophobes with unnaturally weak immune systems...

Thanks, my wife will love this suggestion,gives me an excuse to sit home more and chat with my forum friends. Speaking of Purel, I see dispensers every where now.

No fear of germs have I says me.

Raw bars, salad and soup bars, street booth food, "lunch truck" food, fair food, I eat it all.

I have been to China about 20 times. Always have been with Chinese clients, so I eat from the communal platters with chopsticks. 10 to 20 people digging in. Chopsticks go from mouth to food to mouth, repeat. In all that time, I do not recall ever getting sick. I think I am more exposed to germs on the 14 hour plane flight.

IIRC, I have come down with "food poisoning" 3 times in the last 40 years. Singapore, Belgium and Israel. 3 countries that are about as western as you can get when not in the US.

So, I can take the risk at the soup and salad bar.:D

Yeah the soup kettle as she explained it, was touched by 100's and probably slipped into the kettle a few times. Seemed more yucky to me than grabbing a hot dog from the pushcart. BTW they use a napkin when they grab the roll, makes me feel better.

Some doctors where my sister used to work would say that my mom lived all her years since she ate old crap all the time.. not just at buffets, but would eat old cereal, meat, milk etc. etc...

She grew up during the depression and would hardly throw anything away.... if bread was moldy, cut out the mold and eat the rest!!! :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom