Covid 19 Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHILL OUT DUDE! Take a deep breath and relax.

I merely shared my experience...not meant to minimize anyone else or their situation. Hopefully, most people will recover without serious medical consequences.

You need to learn to QUOTE.

How about one thread that says post your experience here if you tested positive for COVID?
It would bw nice if personal experience remains central in this thread. Testing might or might not be relevant to each person's story. Picking out something out of someone's story, challenging it, isn't going to be the best way to keep on track. Not saying you, or anyone has done this, just, going forward, if we can just accept the experiences, we can have a long, informative thread.

I’m curious, was this indoor dining or outside? Were you dining alone or with members outside of your household? How far away were you from other diners? What type of precautions were the restaurant and other diners taking?

We haven’t been out to eat, but miss it a lot. We keep seeing outbreaks here in restaurants and bars but there’s zero context, which is really frustrating. We don’t even know if the outbreaks are staff or patrons, indoor vs outdoor, etc...

It was the first indoor dining that we did . We were about five feet from the nearest person and the restaurant was not busy .

Last edited:
It was the first indoor dining that we did . We were about five feet from the nearest person and the restaurant was not busy .

I have friends in northern Arizona. They went out to eat twice after the restaurants reopened in June. Masks on except to eat and 6 feet from others. No other exposure known. He caught it and almost died. She never had symptoms and was not tested.

I have friends in northern Arizona. They went out to eat twice after the restaurants reopened in June. Masks on except to eat and 6 feet from others. No other exposure known. He caught it and almost died. She never had symptoms and was not tested.

Reminds me of this recent article:

People who tested positive for COVID-19 were twice as likely to have recently eaten at a restaurant: CDC

Thanks for the additional info. I’m surprised they sat you that close if the restaurant wasn’t busy! Do you know if you caught it from staff or another diner?

We’re going out to dinner for the first time tomorrow. Will be outdoors and early at a place we’ve heard is doing a good job with precautions. If it doesn’t feel safe enough, we’ll leave.

The air circulating in the restaurant (or lack of it) could keep the microdroplets linger in the air much longer and could carry them much further than 6 feet, so that's one factor to consider IMHO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/health/airflow-coronavirus-restaurants.html

In Japan, the government is asking people who eat in restaurants to not talk while they eat (as you can't wear a mask while eating) and resume speaking only after they've finished eating and putting their masks back on. Obviously, not many people are willing to do this as most people go to restaurants not just to eat, but to socialize as well.

Last edited:
TO SOMEGUY:
To answer your question...I am 67 years old and my wife is 59. I trail run, bicycle ride or hike nearly every day. Since the time I was infected I have maintained my usual activity level with NO side effects. My wife had a period of several days where she was short of breath and very fatigued. We are now both back to all usual activiity levels...she went on a 25 mile bike ride yesterday and feeling fine!

Thanks for letting me/us know. Good news!

OP--
Curious about your in law diagnosis.
Did the nursing home KNOW he was positive and no one wore masks?? That would be horrendous care on their part.
Or was he tested after he died? (in which case, the nursing home was most likely doing their job appropriately. Although, in todays environment, anyone staying or visiting a health care facility would do well to wear a mask.
I have read that many are tested after death and covid is listed as a contributing factor.
Very glad you and DW have recovered. Continued good health to you.

8 members of my extended family had Covid in the last 2-weeks and are just now coming off quarantine. Ages range from 10 to 71 and all had very mild cases overall...just a couple days of fever and cough. All lost taste/smell for a few days about 4 days after initially noticing the symptoms. My father (71) is the only one who is still having issues as yesterday he was done with his quarantine but developed fever and worse cough/congestion and went to hospital and they now think he has pneumonia.

Just about everything about this virus is confusing. I do appreciate hearing about any experience for reference.

DH had a 101-104 temp for several days. Refused to go to Dr. Had chills, night sweats, fatigue, loss of appetite. When his temp came down it remained at @ 99 for several more days. After about a week + 1/2 he decided to go to Convenient Care. So this was approx 10 days after his symptoms started. He tested negative but I believe he was positive.

For one, tests are only 70/30 accurate. And since he waited so long, the virus may have been gone in his nasal throat passages. I did not get any symptoms nor did I get tested. We slept in separate beds, he used his own bathroom, I would not let him get near the kitchen or me. I sanitized everything he touched and sprayed Lysol everywhere he went. I did not go near other people without my N99 military mask (got the mask a couple of years ago when there was a bad flu and I had a long distance flight).

Every experience seems to be different. From mild to extreme. DH was extreme but he recovered. When he went to CC and got a test, they x-rayed his lungs. There was a small spot but he recovered and all is good.

He tested negative but I believe he was positive.
It's common for this to happen when the test is done later in the disease progression. It makes sense; what was making him feel bad was the furious damage repair mechanism that was still underway, not viral particles. I'm curious what the CC offered. At that stage, steroids might be helpful, but I don't know what else they have in their arsenal.

It's common for this to happen when the test is done later in the disease progression. It makes sense; what was making him feel bad was the furious damage repair mechanism that was still underway, not viral particles. I'm curious what the CC offered. At that stage, steroids might be helpful, but I don't know what else they have in their arsenal.

Our community did not start testing symptoms other than severe cough and shortness of breath, and high temp.in the early stages. Had to have theses specific symptoms. March into April testing just started to open up to high fever and other unusual symptoms that didn’t fall into the very specific category. His symptoms did not initially fit in the Covid test category. Finally, after 2 weeks of this I called and they approved a test. It was ridiculous. But that was back when they were treating it with ventilators. DH simply did not trust anything and decided to fight it out at home. He was lucky and so was I that I didn’t get it.

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. It is helpful for me to read about people who have had Covid-19 and appear to be recovering since I don't know many people who have recovered. (I know about a dozen people who have had it --unfortunately 3 died, 4 others hospitalized and several have not fully recovered after months--age range 40 to 90).

I have read the entire thread and one take away is that several of the people who caught the virus had recently eaten inside a restaurant. So that is one thing I will continue to avoid.

CHILL OUT DUDE! Take a deep breath and relax.

I merely shared my experience...not meant to minimize anyone else or their situation. Hopefully, most people will recover without serious medical consequences.

akrono, please be kind to Another Reader. He is having a very hard time. He posted his own thread on this Forum about his Covid-19 experience a month or so ago. He got very sick back in the spring and has not recovered. He is very concerned he will never recover and is having difficulty finding treatment.

I had it. Had zero symptoms. Two weeks later a second test said I didn’t have it...

I count my blessings and frankly am a little relieved that I am now beyond the fear of contracting it...been there..done that!
There have been case reports of people getting reinfected. In some cases the reinfection was with a different strain of SARS CoV2 (obviously from non-US data as our testing in the US in general is not at this caliber).

Also, even if a person already had and recovered from COVID, he should still wear a mask since one could “get” the virus again, and even if not develop disease, could be a carrier and asymptomatically shed it.

At DFs resthome they have a staff member who tested positive in may, then recovered, test positive again this week. They said in their email something vague like HHS wants them to retest positives that recover again at the 90 day mark? Heres the quote from the interim director (director was fired, im sorry suspended) :

"The other individual whose results we also received today (Thursday) is someone, also with no symptoms, had been positive back in May.* The recommendations are now to test prior positive people if it’s been more than 90 days.*"

Thanks to those who have posted in this thread. Generally it’s difficult to find quality anecdotal accounts, but the tone here seems pretty factual, which is useful.

It’s often commented on, but it’s remarkable how poorly understood this virus is. For any general understanding which seems to be taking shape (e.g. aerosol transmission, importance of viral load, etc.), there seem to be at least a few isolated cases which make one realize that we don’t yet have the whole picture. Not surprising, maybe, given that we’re less than a year into this.

It must be a huge relief to recover, but worth bearing in mind that it’s not clear yet how long immunity lasts.

And in evaluating risk of various activities, also worth bearing in mind that outcomes of this disease aren’t binary (recover vs. die). There appears to exist a non-negligible cohort of “long-haulers” who suffer for many months from various symptoms, including chronic fatigue and neurological symptoms (“brain fog,” difficulty remembering words, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom