Difference between a Boomer and Millenial

According to one of my sisters the next generation is called Snow Flake...

I asked why... she said that they were brought up that they are unique and special and they think that they really are and should be catered to accordingly...

I hate that term, as with really any dismissive generalization, it's not meant kindly, and (imo) reflects more negatively on the person tossing it than their target. A lot of folks would consider it a derogatory term, more often than not it's wielded with political bias.

I hate that term, as with really any dismissive generalization, it's not meant kindly, and (imo) reflects more negatively on the person tossing it than their target. A lot of folks would consider it a derogatory term, more often than not it's wielded with political bias.

I agree if it is used as a broad brush against an entire generation or group. That's never right.

But I do chuckle when it is used when a specific person has exhibited those very characteristics. I think it's pretty clever. Nothing wrong with a derogatory term to describe derogatory behavior.

-ERD50

Seems it has been out there for awhile and is becoming a common term... not sure if it is for the whole generation or just a subset... I was just pointing out I had never heard it before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake

I miss hand wrote letters....just sayin.....

Having said that - I don't send too many hand wrote letters anymore, but afew....

Ms. gamboolgal has all the letters I wrote to her before we married 40+year ago....... she shared them with our daughter to Dad's embarassment....they said how sweet....ha....

But boy's and gal's is what makes the world go round....Thank God for them Texas lasses with the oh so fine....

I finally got a Smart Phone about 2 year ago as the men who work for me and my bosses pretty well DFO'd me to get one...hahah.......they are better but I can't use 1/100th of the capability. The dam thing does not understand oilfield vernacular and cussing....

DFO in the oilpatch = Direct F....n Order.....

When I broke out in the oifield there was no GD pooters.......we used a pencil and tally books......and we knew how to write in Cursive !

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go.....

gamboolman...

bcMIynxl.png

Last edited:
Yes, but you are still locked to that single device (Your cell phone).... I also use Google Voice, but I can use that from any device....

GV works just fine on Republic Wireless devices. :confused:

May I say as a member of Generation X, good luck to all you Millennials and Boomers figuring out all your first world problems. As usual, those few of us in between remain amused as we seek ways to exploit your generations’ mutual unintelligibility about the modern world that your massive, self-absorbed numbers have wrought, while we await comfortable retirements supported by our inheritances from deceased Boomers and social services funded by a massive population of wage-slaving Millennial underlings. (Rubs hands together and emits a mad genius cackle.)

+1.

I am solidly in the Gen X demographic and really don't talk on the phone unless necessary. I am finding that more and more service companies (HVAC, plumbers, etc) will set up appointments via text only, which I find to be convenient and preferable.

When my Dad was still around, I talked to him on the phone at least once a day and it was normally a treat. As a "checking in" routine, he would call me every night before he went to bed and while at times I hated being "tied" to the phone, I do find myself missing those calls now.

(early) Boomer here. DW a few months earlier still. (Her dad came home from the Pacific theater after the end of WWII and she was born 11 months later, but I digress.)

We both have dino phones (that's short for dinosaur.) They text, but you have to pick from a-b-c, d-e-f, g-h-i, etc. So we try to keep our texts short. Still haven't figured out the punctuation "feature."

Kids don't read email and they don't listen to voicemail. So, to get things rolling, we text. When the kids answer our text, THEN we call as we know the kids are WITH their phones AND have no excuse to let it go to VM. Heh, heh, us Boomers are old and sneaky now. YMMV

I use Hangouts for texting and voice calls. I can use any device (phone, PC, tablet) and it works fine on WiFi or the mobile data connection. If/when Google pulls the plug on Hangouts, I'll switch to WhatsApp, which is rapidly becoming the worldwide standard for text-like messaging as well as mobile VoIP, and video calls.
I also use Hangouts for texting, and I love that it is cross-platform. I don't think Google will pull the plug on Hangouts without replacing it with something, I just hope the something is also cross-platform.

May I say as a member of Generation X, good luck to all you Millennials and Boomers figuring out all your first world problems. As usual, those few of us in between remain amused as we seek ways to exploit your generations’ mutual unintelligibility about the modern world that your massive, self-absorbed numbers have wrought, while we await comfortable retirements supported by our inheritances from deceased Boomers and social services funded by a massive population of wage-slaving Millennial underlings. (Rubs hands together and emits a mad genius cackle.)

Hah! As a Gen Xer I was wondering how many people in the thread realize that our generation's kids are the ones who are teens now, and that Millennials are adults and have little kids of their own in many cases. If you are complaining about a teen or younger you mean Generation Z. I'm core Gen X (1972) and my wife is an early Millennial/late Gen X (1983, she identifies as a Millennial for whatever that is worth for a person not born in the US), and while we have zero intention of making humans of our own, I have many Gen X friends whose kids are off in college already, and know plenty of Millennial parents whose kids are endearingly entertaining to interact with already.

Back
Top Bottom