Dishwasher leaking: Fix or replace?

Is there some way to clean the corrosion off the CONNECTOR easily? I saw a video online where they used 2 solutions: one is a super-saturated table salt & vinegar solution to remove the oxidation/corrosion, followed by a baking soda & water solution to neutralize everything from the first solution. Does this work? or Am I better served by doing something else to get rid of the corrosion short- and long-term(and what would that be)? :confused:

omni
Muriatic acid works fast, but you need to quickly rinse it off before the terminal disappears.

What I learned.....

Looks like the 2-solution process is working on the corrosion on the electrical connector.

It looks like the corrosion mostly gone after sitting in solution 1 (table salt and vinegar) for about 45 minutes (interspersed with gentle brushing with an old toothbrush).

I'll give it a bit more time to soak to make sure it's 100% corrosion-free and then dip it in solution 2 (baking soda and water) to neutralize solution 1.

omni

The dishwasher is working!

After cleaning the corrosion (using the 2-solution process and a toothbrush) off the connector, I reassembled the dishwasher and just ran it thru its short cycle (1-hour).

Everything looks and sounds good. There's no evidence of any water beneath the unit. :dance::dance::dance:

While I was at it, I did install Amazon's #1-selling water sensor and alarm. I placed the detachable (wired) sensor unit strategically positioned beneath the diverter valve. :D
Glentronics, Inc. BWD-HWA Basement Watchdog Water Sensor and Alarm - Household Alarms And Detectors - Amazon.com

Thanks, again, everyone for all your ideas, support, and encouragement. :flowers:

This was an interesting learning experience. And having a functioning dishwasher as the end result was a great outcome. Yay!

(And whoever at Whirlpool designed that crappy grommet-washer/diverter valve location and interface needs to go back to the drawing board. I hate to think how many similar dishwashers (which cost ~$500-$800 new, plus installation) have been relegated to the trash heap after only 3-4 years of service due to this same water leak (for a grommet-washer part costing $5.50!) Whirlpool, Kenmore, JennAir, KitchenAid and IKEA were the names I saw in the repair forums that seemed to share the same leaking faulty grommet-washer issue. :nonono:)

omni

Excellent news, Omni! Dishwashers can be strange beasts to diagnose sometimes, but it sounds like you have it fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom