Ugh - Toilet Problems

The new Toto toilets went in today. I hope I have nothing else to update on this situation.

It was nice to have a plumber do the work. There were two of them working together and they were done in just about one hour. Two new toilets and two new shut off valves.

The new Toto toilets went in today. I hope I have nothing else to update on this situation.

It was nice to have a plumber do the work. There were two of them working together and they were done in just about one hour. Two new toilets and two new shut off valves.

May you never have a toilet problem again. :D

Good for you!!! You should be good for a while now. I suppose it wasn't a cheap day.

Good for you!!! You should be good for a while now. I suppose it wasn't a cheap day.

It wasn’t too bad - nothing for the BTD thread. The toilets cost about $600 and the plumber was $500. The real blow that dough was me buying a car for my grandson. $4,500. So, it was not a cheap day but it was a good day :)

American Standard Champion 4 is rated excellent for a low flush toilet. AS had a cracking issue a few years back which resulted in a mfg fix.

Toto Ultramax 2 is an excellent toilet - I've had the older model for years and love the design, which cleans the bowl very well for a low-flush (get Sanigloss finish if you really want easy-to-clean, btw).

Stay away from Toto's Aquia. Despite the high end price it's an awful toilet. Not enough water in the bowl means it gets dirty easily, and changing the toilet seat is a major hassle (Toto's seats are very good, but nothing lasts forever).

It wasn’t too bad - nothing for the BTD thread. The toilets cost about $600 and the plumber was $500. The real blow that dough was me buying a car for my grandson. $4,500. So, it was not a cheap day but it was a good day :)

Not bad at all. Sometimes it is just nice just to hire things and it doesn't matter what it costs.

Toto-ly Biased

Over 50 years ago when I was courting my future wife in Japan, her parents installed a Toto toilet (with a Washlet seat/bidet). What I remember most, and why I fell in love with Toto, was that it had a heated seat. So, when I had to climb down the narrow staircase to go to the bathroom in the winter at night in a typical Japanese house without any central heating, that seat was like heaven.

Ever since we moved to the States, we have always had a Toto, with a Washlet seat, well at least one. In our current home we have a Toto Washlet toilet and
a Kohler toilet with a bidet seat too. The Kohler bidet, non electric, is rather basic, more like a car power wash (But that comes in handy sometimes). We do have power outlets installed near that toilet in the hope we can replace it sooner or later with a Toto.

And when you replace your toilets with Totos, add Washlets too. Join the clean crowd. You can say that you will make up the extra cost in toilet paper savings. Maybe, but you will feel better. It is becoming quite common across the world, especially in modern Asian countries. I used to think of Japan as the land of the rising sun, now it is the land of the shiny bottoms.

And when you replace your toilets with Totos, add Washlets too.

The toilet in our main bathroom has had a Washlet for a few years now. We started with a basic bidet but upgraded to a Washlet. Had to run an outlet to the bathroom near the toilet, but totally worth it.

I like my Toto's but even with them I have recently had to replace a fill valve and drain valve myself. Yes, it was warranted, but they are slow to send new ones and it's easier just to get replacements off of Amazon. They were cheap and so I ordered spares. I used Korky brand who seem to be identical at a far better price. Korky 528 fro my Toto was $7.87 with free shipping.

I've had horrible problems with poor porcelain on cheaper brands, especially up under the rim. This breeds smells I didn't like. I don't believe in American Standards because of this. I pair a lot for my last one at Lowes and tossed it in a year. What junk.

Years ago the Toto toilets I installed had a warping flapper problem.

Just bought Korky to replace them instead of going through Toto.

As I have said before, for any future toilet replacements I'll hire Mario & Luigi to wrestle a ONE-piece toilet into position.

Given the problems I've had getting tank/bowl aligned on two-piece toilets, yes, even Toto models.

Last edited:
I second the Kohler toilets with the Korky innards.

Just a tip for those willing to listen....
Had a water leak at the gasket area where the back tank mounts to the base...
Called a relative thats been a plumber for a long time...
He asked if we recently installed one of those toilet cleaner tabs in the tank.
He stated those are very corrosive & will deteriorate seals...
Just a week before the wife happen to get a few & drop them in our toilets...
No more cleaner tablets!!!

All of our toilets are one-piece which eliminates the gasket. They're also a lot easier to clean due to the smooth sides.

Attachments

• download (1).png
    download (1).png
    31.8 KB · Views: 9
We bought a toilet from Costco a couple of years ago. It doesn't even have a brand name on it. But it w*rks great. It uses very little water which is becoming a big thing here in the Islands. And, it was cheap. Now, the plumber did cost more than the toilet, so there's that. Even if it's "easy" to install a toilet, I'm simply no longer capable of the physical (mostly lifting) that goes along with that effort. My back is pretty much shot. YMMV

Even if it's "easy" to install a toilet, I'm simply no longer capable of the physical (mostly lifting) that goes along with that effort. My back is pretty much shot. YMMV

Way back when, I thought society had it all wrong. I figured people should be paid lots of money when they were younger and had energy to burn and could have fast cars and private airplanes and take trips and such, and paid less when they're older and just want to sit around and complain about ailments. At least in our teens me and my sisters and friends all agreed that's how things should be.

Now I know, and appreciate, that's not how it works. You need the money to hire out the stuff you used to do yourself without a second thought (at least we did) because it hurts too doggone much to do it yourself anymore!:(

Way back when, I thought society had it all wrong. I figured people should be paid lots of money when they were younger and had energy to burn and could have fast cars and private airplanes and take trips and such, and paid less when they're older and just want to sit around and complain about ailments. At least in our teens me and my sisters and friends all agreed that's how things should be.

me too... so funny. I guess "we are Unique, just like everyone else" ;)

Back
Top Bottom