Disowning a home

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
And while we're at it: how do I go about having a house torn down?

I have never done this, but have seen plenty of it here in New Orleans during the past five years.

I would suggest starting by looking up "Demolition" in the Yellow Pages. The demolition companies probably know of any paperwork that needs to be done. I think it costs about $5K or so, depending on the difficulties, size, and whether or not you want the slab broken up (if there is a slab). Of course you will have to have the gas, electricity, and water disconnected and so on.

Last edited:
Maybe you could donate it to the city and get a tax write off. Some fire depts use old houses for training, then demolish them when done.

I do want to do it correctly: sewer water gas electric...

Maybe you could donate it to the city and get a tax write off. Some fire depts use old houses for training, then demolish them when done.

A nearby house was burned for practice; don't know if mine is too close to other structures.

I understand the need to just disown a house you are fed up with and start all over again. But where will you live? Would you build another house on the same spot? If you just want to move, why not just sell the house?

The building is falling apart. The only thing keeping me here is the cat.
I could move across the street to an apartment.
I could move to various parts of the country to be near people who would take care of me but leave me alone.
I'm trying to discern my future.

Do you owe anything on the place? If yes, can you walk away from the mortgage and let the bank worry about it? If no, can you sell it dirt cheap and at least get something?

I've seen pictures of your place and it looks pretty. Someone might want to take it on as a fixer upper.

Paid for long ago. Maybe worth $40K on a warm day.

Maybe I'll just give it to the neighbor and let him worry about it.

If you're thinking about moving, you may want to consider keeping it for a while. Could be you'll decide you want to go back. After a period of time has gone by and you don't feel the need...sell it.

Paid for long ago. Maybe worth $40K on a warm day.

Maybe I'll just give it to the neighbor and let him worry about it.

What is the worry? It is a city house with city water and sewer and a foundation. Someone will fix it up and either rent it out or live there.

Be careful of letting a temporary down mood lead you to to make bad decisions.

Ha

What is the worry? It is a city house with city water and sewer and a foundation. Someone will fix it up and either rent it out or live there.

Ha

Been thinking about such for several years.

Have to be purely awful for it to be worth more as a vacant lot. Purely awful hasn't sprung to mind on any of the pictures you've shared.

Mmmmm....well, perhaps you could have someone take care of the kitty; then take a few bucks out of your retirement fund, go somewhere and clear your head a little.

Drive...better yet, book a flight to Vegas. I guarantee you will find quite the experience. A lot of fine people watchin' can be had there for the 'restless' spirit...:cool:

You could get some money out of it and not have to pay for the demo by calling up a recycling / salvage company.

Tell them they can take all they want from the house for a set fee and as long as they demo and remove at the end as well.

Should make it worthwhile for a recycling / salvage company who can strip the piping, etc etc.

OR... just rent it out really cheap? $400/month?

Why get rid of it when you can turn it into a monthly recurring income stream

Just Sell it! :D

Someone somewhere is gonna pay some dough for it - shabby house & all.
Then take the money & run!!
You will feel so much better once you jettison the place. :)

(At least that is what I am doing right now.....:whistle:)

Been thinking about such for several years.

OK, so there's no urgency to make a decision right now. Sometimes the change of seasons inspires a wish to change your life. I've felt that before. Take your time and explore some options. There are always options Khan.

I just hope you decide on the one that's best for you in the long run.

+1

If you sell it to some one who can fix it up rather than having it torn down, it will provide a low cost home for some family. That's a good thing.

+1

If you sell it to some one who can fix it up rather than having it torn down, it will provide a low cost home for some family. That's a good thing.

I have another idea, Khan. If you're dead set on this, why not call Habitat for Humanity. They might be delighted to deconstruct the house for you, recycle what they can, and build a new house for someone who needs it. They might give you a tax receipt (they gave me one when I gave them my old kitchen cabinets). That way, you could achieve what you want in one step and feel good about it. And we all know what a generous person you are! :flowers:

Another thing to check out, you might be able to donate it to Habitat For Humanity or other charities that fix up houses for the homeless. You would presumably get a tax deduction for the value of the donation and someone could end up with a home.

I see others have beat me to the punch. Consider donating it to a social service organization... There are many families who are homeless as a result of this financial mess who could put it to good use, and maybe take care of the cat. Do it through a charity you trust and get a tax write off. Make sure the deed is transferred so you will not be responsible for it later.

Where we live, you have to get a demolition permit to tear down a house and use appropriately licensed people to do it.

Once it's torn down you will still have to sell the land, won't you? So I agree with the above posters that you might as well sell it with the house on it rather than pay for it to be torn down--let the buyer tear it down if they want to.

Back
Top Bottom