Repairing torn tupperware lids

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have some tupperware containers with torn lids. This makes them much less useful, as they won’t hold a seal and the lids are loose. They are large and I’d rather repair than replace, but I’m not sure there is a glue product that is not toxic and is safe to use with food containers. We don’t put them in the microwave but we do put hot foods in them.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to repair safely?

Plastic weld them. See youtube videos on plastic welding. Personally I'd replace them. Maybe we should change "recycles dryer sheets" to "recycles Tupperware lids."

FWIW, I repaired my Cuisinart bowl a few months ago with JBWeld Plastic Bonder. It makes a really strong repair, and although it doesn't specifically say "food safe", it doesn't have any caution about that either. I would try it.

PC7 would also work if you roughed up the surface before applying, but the plastic is becoming brittle with age and when it starts tearing at one place, it will start at others soon enough.

I've had some (limited) success with fixing small cracked/split plastic stuff by using a pair of pliers to hold a red hot paper clip. Almost like welding plastic. Depends on the damage. Probably works about half the time. Of course be careful heating and handling red hot paper clips.

In my case, it's been for a temporary fix until I can replace "whatever" it is.

Last edited:
Spread a sheet of Saran (or similar) wrap over the bowl where the lid goes and secure with a rubber band just under where the lid would snap on. That way, you can see the mold growth progress on the leftovers easier.:LOL:

You guys are brave! I wouldn't dare take a chance on messing up my DW's Tupperware.

No, not at all - but I have to admit I'm impressed by your thrifty gene.

If these are tupperware brand... you can sometimes find replacement lids on ebay.

We did that with a much loved bowl (perfect size for leftovers). The lid got a crack... I found a lid that was the right size on ebay.

It is literally the last tupperware branded item we own... But we love that bowl.

Thrifty, yes, but I like the positive ecological impact of not tossing plastic to buy new plastic. Might depend on the fix though.

Thrifty, yes, but I like the positive ecological impact of not tossing plastic to buy new plastic. Might depend on the fix though.

Yeah, but that is kinda like the meme I saw recently (maybe in the joke thread?), that goes something like this:

I bought
bread in a plastic bag
milk in a plastic jug
soda in plastic bottles
meat wrapped in plastic
pasta in a plastic bag
etc

BUT, I it is against the law for me to put it in a flimsy plastic bag to take home.

Leftovers. Again...

... Some of your old Tupperware may have BPA. ...
Horrors! Another OWT to fear!

"FDA’s current perspective, based on its most recent safety assessment, is that BPA is safe at the current levels occurring in foods. Based on FDA’s ongoing safety review of scientific evidence, the available information continues to support the safety of BPA for the currently approved uses in food containers and packaging." https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/bisphenol-bpa-use-food-contact-application

I second the silicon stretchable covers. work well

I threw away all my old Tupperware about 12 years ago because of health concerns. I replaced them with glass bowls that have plastic lids.

We have some tupperware containers with torn lids. This makes them much less useful, as they won’t hold a seal and the lids are loose. They are large and I’d rather repair than replace, but I’m not sure there is a glue product that is not toxic and is safe to use with food containers. We don’t put them in the microwave but we do put hot foods in them.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to repair safely?

I would be concerned that any type of added adhesive to container could cause chemical leaching into your food source.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Spread a sheet of Saran (or similar) wrap over the bowl where the lid goes and secure with a rubber band just under where the lid would snap on. That way, you can see the mold growth progress on the leftovers easier.:LOL:
This made me laugh and I spit out some coffee. DW thinks I’m brain damaged.

Leftovers. Again...
Leftovers in my home are a true delight.

Have you contacted Tupperware Customer Care to see it they would be covered under their lifetime limited warranty?

https://www.tupperware.com/pages/replacement-parts
That is an excellent suggestion and will be my first course of action.

FWIW, I repaired my Cuisinart bowl a few months ago with JBWeld Plastic Bonder. It makes a really strong repair, and although it doesn't specifically say "food safe", it doesn't have any caution about that either. I would try it.
I’ll try this if the warranty approach doesn’t work. I checked ebay and etsy for replacements but didn’t see any reasonable options.

I would rather have glass but we have an entire stock of the plastic ones and I’m not yet ready to throw it all out. If DW objects to a glue based approach I’ll try the paper clip.

another thought -

https://www.amazon.com/Aquior-Disposable-Waterproof-Plastic-Elastic/dp/B08B4M7G8H/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=27RMS63IL97AT&keywords=Disposable+Clear+Processing+Hair+Caps%2C+For+Salons%2C+DIY%2C+Conditioning%2C+Dyeing%2C+Hair+Treatments%2C+Bag+of+100%2C&qid=1696375603&s=beauty&sprefix=disposable+clear+processing+hair+caps%2C+for+salons%2C+diy%2C+conditioning%2C+dyeing%2C+hair+treatments%2C+bag+of+100%2C%2Cbeauty%2C161&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Clear plastic shower caps. disposable they say, and I do toss them after dozens of uses when they give up. or if they get goopy. Primarily use them when proofing bread dough, but if your bowl is big enough they keep the fruit flies out and the moisture in. elastic band serves as the rubber band in the plastic wrap solution

Back
Top Bottom