Join Early Retirement Today

Disposing of a Satellite TV Dish
Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Disposing of a Satellite TV Dish

What can I do with a Satellite TV dish that is on my house. I have owned my house for a few years and have this b*tt ugly TV dish on the side of my house. I have never used the thing (only have an antennae if I need to see something on TV). I called DISH and they will not remove the dish because of the "potential liability" of damaging my house. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
What can I do with a Satellite TV dish that is on my house. I have owned my house for a few years and have this b*tt ugly TV dish on the side of my house. I have never used the thing (only have an antennae if I need to see something on TV). I called DISH and they will not remove the dish because of the "potential liability" of damaging my house. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?
I just threw mine in the garbage after I took it off of my house. The provider does not reuse them, so just toss it!

Mike

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away.
^ This.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away. Has anyone disposed of one of these things before?
That is what I've seen people do. Lots of folks save up scrap and sell for salvage.

🐑
Old 05-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Once I get the thing off of the house should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away.
That sounds like a good approach (put any inside-the-house hardware out with it, and the cable, too, to sweeten the deal), if you live in a place where there are enough "scrappers" and "gleaners", etc to make it likely someone will see it and take it. If "Freecycle" is up and running where you are, maybe post a note there. I don't think I'd let the recipient remove it from the house--too much chance of damage to the house or a fall/liability issue.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Someone will take it from the curb.
These are also great for experimenting and prepping with solar cooking once you add a mirror surface to it.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our community has a storage unit at our recycling center, just for electronics. I've seen several in there. We heard they sold the contents as scrap to fund for the recycling center staffing.

That said, we'd probably just put at the end of our driveway. We live in a very low traffic street, but there's a pick-up truck that cruises around on trash day, picking up stuff he can sell. I'm guessing this would make the cut for him.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #8

Goodwill industries takes electronic recycling, so call and see if they will take it. Or since its mostly metal find a scrap metal dealer and leave it there.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

we have a web site in the twin cities for free stuff. It is amazing what people will take for free.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
should I just put it on the curb with a "free" sign on it and hope that someone hauls it away.
When I lived in a big city, I would set things like this out by the curb the day before normal trash pickup. It was usually gone before the trash was picked up.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Anything made of metal has some value. Just take it to a local metal scrapping place. Worst case, they give you a buck or so and it stays out of the land fill.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

I switched from Directv to FIOS back in 2011, but had left the big dish up on the roof. My roof is fairly flat, so the dish wasn't all that noticeable. As for being an eyesore...well, some people would probably make the argument that my entire house is an eyesore!

Anyway, about two years ago, it started leaking in the room underneath that dish. So, I got up on the roof and took the dish down. Dropped it off the side, and it landed in a big bush. I just left it there and forgot about it! I coated all of the bolts with roofing tar and then bolted them back in, and then spread some more tar over the tops. Then I sprinkled on some of those flakes that wash off the shingles over time and build up in the rain gutter, while the tar was still sticky.

As for the dish itself, back in October we got a big dumpster to do a cleanout at my grandmother's house, and they said I could throw some of my old junk on, too. So I used that as an excuse to get rid of the dish. Guess I could have put it out to the curb with a sign that said "free" on it, and hope it disappeared. I have an old barbeque grille I need gone...thinking about trying that route for it.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Was a few years back, but after a couple of years of being subscribed to satellite internet DSL became available in my neck of the woods. Put the old dish and bits of electronic hardware up for sale on an internet reseller and it sold pretty darn quick. Those may have been a bit more of a novelty then compared to today's SatTV, but who knows?
Old 05-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #15

+1 put it by the curb. They make real good reflectors for long range WiFi experimenters. I also used one for getting long range acces to cell phone towers from remote places.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

Satellite TV repair man was out to fix a problem. He wanted the old dishes. He removed them and I was happy to get rid of them. I got the idea that he definitely had a use for them.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #17

We canceled our satellite subscription a couple weeks ago. It's not easy for me to get up with the ladder and tools I have to remove it. But I have installed an outdoor antenna on the mast where the dish is mounted, so it still serves some usefulness!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #18

We have a county recycling center about a mile from the house so we take most junk stuff there or if electronics to Goodwill. For some reason the electronics recycling center is at the other end of the county.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you want it gone extra fast, put it on the curb with a "For Sale - $50" sign on it.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #20

No matter what I put by the road, someone eventually takes it...broken lawn chairs, old CRT TVs, an old beaten up desk. It was all junk in my mind, but it was all taken.