DIY Termite treatment?

sailor

Full time employment: Posting here.
After successful slashing my annual pest control costs from $300 to $16 by switching to DIY route, I'm thinking about doing the same for termite protection.
We are in Atlanta suburbs and have a stick house with concrete basement built in 1999. Termites sighted in the neighborhood (quite normal in Georgia)
Termite company is doing liquid treatment around perimeter of the house every 5 years and annual inspections. The cost of treatment is about $700, inspection is $150-$200.
On the top of it you get 10k bond protection against termite damage.

For DIY route I can buy Termidor online for about $50 and probable raise effectiveness of the defenses by adding Termite Detection and Killing Stakes ( ~$60)

I'll check with my home insurance company about the coverage of termite damage.

What do you guys and gals think?

IF you do not ever plan to sell your home, then yes DIY. However, I used to live in FL (for 19 years) and I saw a lot of termite problems (not in my home) in others homes. Some had "Professional" termite contracts and still got termites. The good news is that the bonds (which were a LOT more than 10K - low 6 digits, as I remember) covered some very expensive repairs. A friend spent about $15,000 of his own money doing repairs trying to move out of eastern central FL (he did the Sentricom DIY program). HO-1 policies do not cover termite damages. IMO I would spend the money and I would go with termodor, senticom (sp) is more of a hassel. When they do the WDO (Wood Destroying Organisms) inspection at time of sale, you will feel much better if you had professional servcie (with the repair bond).

Back
Top Bottom